1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

noise

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by floater, Mar 18, 2008.

1. floater

floater Member

hello. i started meditating this past weekend. it's quite neat. i'm finding that my mantra will run in the background as i have thoughts bumping around in my head. it seems like the mantra and the thoughts alternate in levels as they advance and recede inside my "focus plane". i always go back to the mantra though. i've had some rushes of intensity - i'm guessing this is a good thing? i try and visualise myself sitting on a cloud going forward through blue sky. what i'm trying to do is transform every thought i have into a cloud which i bump into but immediately leave behind. this is difficult because thoughts some so quickly that it's difficult to capture them and transform them into a cloud before they are properly formed. should i even do this stuff or does it consitute a thought itself and is therefore a distraction? also, i live next to a fairly busy road and i find that the sound of the cars going by sometimes annoys me when i'm trying to meditate. is this annoyance normal for a newbie and do you think it'll recede as i continue to practice? i can't meditate anywhere else so i guess i'll have to cope with it ;-)
    any comments and/or suggestions most welcome. lastly, thank you for the tuition CD's they are invaluable and way more effective than trying to learn out of a book.

2. twinkletoes

twinkletoes Member

Hi

:) I'm new too so although I haven't a wealth of knowledge, from what i've read so far it is more than normal to have thoughts running through your meditation session, its like a kind of cleansing and clarity thing. I read somewhere , and I think it was something Polyanna wrote, it was to do with acknowledging the thoughts but not getting get deeply involved with it and then once out of meditation I suppose if you start to think about it again then you are more relaxed and if you are experiencing what i experience post meditation you feel more able to manage that thought, your mind is clearer and I for sure feel more rational and less likely to blow the feeling out of proportion which is easily done when you are sleep deprived, stressed, poorly etc, etc.
    I hope that's been of some help! Love the image of you cloud surfing, thats so lovely, I'd be toppling of the cloud at present! :eek:
    Wishing you happiness on your continued journey

:) Gilli :)

3. twinkletoes

twinkletoes Member

oops forgot to mention the noise issue!

Oh and just to ad re the noise. what mode are you listening by? I downloaded to mp3 but whilst on the discover meditation I could here the clock ticking despite the ear pieces being in. Maybe you can get some malliable wax ear plugs to wear set an alarm to ring so that you are aware when to have the two minutes to gently come out of meditation and then hear the gratification music and give thanks.
    :D Another suggestion is to obtain some road cones and diversion signs and block off your road :D to any fraffic police out there I am only joking, or am I? ha ha! :D

4. floater

floater Member

thanks twinkletoes. well there's a lot of construction near where i live so perhaps i'll do a midnight run for some cones :D The ear plugs idea is good, i'll go check out the drug store to see what they have......i'm going to try lifeflow10 soon. have you already used it?

5. twinkletoes

twinkletoes Member

Hi floater

:) Yes road works are a problem, maybe you could run out with cups of tea and whilst there is a pit stop for refreshment you can quickly meditate! :D
    Re the ear plugs, If you are in the U.K you can get the wax ear plugs from a Boots, they are called muffles, if not then most chemists will have similar.
    Yes I moved to lifeflow 10 last week and I find that so much easier as I don't like complete silence it unsettles me, think that stems back to the school exam hall which always scared me. I find the lifeflow absolutely great and I'll be staying on that for at least the recommended time if not longer. I don't want to rush through this as I nver inagined that I was capable of switching offf and relaxing to the extent that I have already.
    Wishing you great happiness :):)

6. Edwin

Edwin Member

It sounds like a lot of work to "change every thought into a cloud" actually.

Not to criticise of course, if it works for you it works, but loads of thoughts aren't really thoughts but just images or sounds that pop up randomly. The brain automatically tries to process the small thoughts by finding the story behind it. The mantra is made to avoid the processing, not the images popping up. As meditation is practiced longer, the brain learns to settle down during meditation sessions. Don't force it, instead let it go. Try the mantra meditation as Michael teaches on his free disc. The mantra is just a trick if you will to keep your mind off the thoughts, and let whatever comes by just do that.... let it come by.

Maybe if you are visualising them, and this works, think of the small thoughts as birds flying by, and only turn the recurring thoughts ( situations at work that are recent, your arguement with your mother on the phone ) like clouds.
    The birds don't stop, they just come by, they have their own agenda, they just happened to pop into your existence as they travel.
    The recurring ones "bump" into you as clouds, and try to think " Is this a situation I can change right now ?" and as most of the time the answer is "NO" you can let it go and float away, it will return when your meditation session is over, but it won't bug you during the meditation.

As to sound.... I think when you are ready for lifeflow 10, you will really like it, it can take away a lot of sounds from your environment.
    Maybe you can try to buy one of those big headphones that close around your ears....

7. floater

floater Member

thanks Edwin for explaining the mantra's purpose to me. i had thought that the mantra was there to banish all thoughts and instead i now understand that the mantra is there to stop the processing of the myriad images & sounds as you said. i like the notion of birds flying in and out at random too... it makes perfect sense - thanks bud!:D

8. floater

floater Member

thanks. i was down at the grocery store last evening and saw a whole bunch of earplugs....however i think i'll buy myself a decent set of headphones.....i need them on a day like today -20c......gotta love canada eh? :D

9. twinkletoes

twinkletoes Member

floater

Yes i'm considering a decent set of headphones too. Michael mentioned a set in one of his threads but I can't remember what he said. I'm using my mp3 so Unless I change to a different mode then I don't think they sell great big headsets for mp3, though it would be an amazing sight out on the street, would it not! :D
    Have never been to Canada although I have extended family out in Halifax N.S and I would love to travel and see more of the world and its different cultures.
    Life for me will change and as soon as I am over this health problem, I am never going to hold back on the things that I want to do anymore. No longer will doing things I don't want to do get in the way of doing what I want to do.
    hoping the meditation is going great, I also thought that trying to change all of your thoughts into clouds was a huge mind task, like the birds think of edwins though :)

10. floater

floater Member

Michael's recommendation for headphones is the Sony MDR-XD200 headset. i checked out some prices on ebay and they're pretty decent. over here i'd be paying about 15 bucks + postage. dunno what the prices would be in UK. i looked at a lot of reviews for a lot of headsets. the Sony ones above got fairly decent reviews but there's some from Sennheiser you might want to check out. the HD-202 and one other i can't remember. anyway they're pretty cheap too....just google them....peace..........:)

11. twinkletoes

twinkletoes Member

Floater

Peace right back to you ten fold, i'm going to check out those so thanks for the info. I have just, hopefully downloaded onto another mp3 so I'm off to bed to see if the pain and sleep meditations have transferred I do hope so as I've been trying to get them to transfer many times so hopefully a different mp3 will work :D:D