1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

New to this (Advice needed)

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by tomon, Mar 5, 2010.

1. tomon

tomon Member

Hello,
    I have become really interested in meditation over the past month or so.
    I suffer with tension and headaches/stress pretty badly and I find that physical exercise in the the form of weight training and running helps me a great deal. However over the past few weeks I have been reading and practising meditation. Mainly by watching my breath and trying to stay focused on the now rather than letting my mind race (as it does).

I have found that spending an hour a day sitting comfortably and quietly meditating has really made me feel calm- and the muscles in my neck and shoulders are relaxed for the first time since I was a kid- it really is fantastic.

However I still have some issues- my mind races a hell of a lot- more so of a morning as I begin my commute to work- it can be a pretty sickly feeling at times. I have been trying to use the skills I have been reading about but it just seems to slip away easily and my mind will race again.
    It tends to calm down as I get to work at my desk- I them begin to control my breathing again and I find it helps.

Another issue I have found is that I can become pretty angry and very inpatient and tend to snap at people for silly things.

Do you have any advice on techniques I can use? as I have said, I am not following a particular technique- it is more a case of trying out different things at the moment.

Thanks for your help and advice

2. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hi there,

Your mind races... thats ok! The problem is, that you think its a problem. Let it race, like going out with your dog... at one point he gets tired and slows down :)

Just dont expect anything or hold onto something. LET.GO. ! :)

The issue with your feelings... you seem to recognize what you´re doing afterwards. All that is left to do is, to recognize it "while" youre angry. Just watch yourself and your thoughts in that moment (not only in that moment, but especially in this particular case) and take a step back while youre angry. Its a feeling inside you, not your "self". Watch it but dont try to manipulate it... its just an output of the (unconsciously) thoughts you were thinking.

Atb,
    Pan

3. Peaceful Warrior

Peaceful Warrior New Member

lf demo

Did you try the free Lifeflow demo track yet? This may help your meditation sessions. Good luck!

PW;)

4. tomon

tomon Member

Thank you for your kind advice,
    Sorry I am late replying.

I have lifeflow on an mp3 player but I think I prefer the silence when I meditate.
    I have been reading up a lot on Samatha meditation and find this really rewarding and relaxing. I have also been reading up on Vispanna but am probably not that advanced to look into that just yet.

I have found that sitting comfortably with a candle and focusing my attention to it is also very good.

Do any of you have any advice on some other practices? I am hoping to develop my concentration and most of all I am trying to be at peace with myself.

Thanks in advance for you advice

Neil U.K

5. Panthau

Panthau Member

Yup - stop trying! Theres only this present moment to decide to be at peace or not. LET.GO!

:)

6. anomalocaris

anomalocaris Member

I'm not experienced with meditation, but as for the snapping at people for little things, I learned a tough lesson from some mentors, who used to remind me, "Don't let anyone make you react emotionally. If you do, you're letting the enemy control you and the second you do that, he wins and you lose." Keeping that in mind can help keep you from lashing out at people.

7. Edwin

Edwin Member

Hm... That advice may work for you, but I wonder if there aren't any better ways to achieve the same...
    From your point of view everybody is an enemy, which makes your life a struggle, the epitome of dualistic thinking.
    I am me, and you are you, and all of you are my enemy.

To me, everybody is the same consciousness, so basically everybody is me. So snapping at people means snapping at myself...

8. anomalocaris

anomalocaris Member

That would work too :)

9. jimbob007

jimbob007 Member

Advice please

Pretty new to meditation, certainly have not employed a mantra before.

Am using Hay-ram and unlike the demo where it is suggested you say it to yourself quite quickly, I find it is only possible to concentrate on it with the breath, if i say Hay on inspiration and ram on expiration which makes it quite slow and extended. Am i doing it right or not?!

jimbob007

10. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Member

I have the same problem with irritibility, what do I do? I can't make it stop. I get really impatient and irritable and I can't stand that. My mind races, especially when I try to sleep. I get tension headaches and my feelings of dread and worry just amplify. I really need to work on this, but how? I feel really lost the more i read on meditation.

11. tomon

tomon Member

Hello,
    I remember posting this several weeks ago when I was in a paricularly irritable state of mind.
    I have carried on practising and studying meditation and I have to say that the benefits of meditation are well worth the time and effort (not sure if effort is the correct word) anyway I have more control over my racing mind than I have had in years and would certainly encourage someone to give it a try.

Best of luck to everyone and thank you for your kind advice.

12. Edwin

Edwin Member

Great to hear Tomon, and thanks for sharing :)

13. tomon

tomon Member

Hello Jimbob,
    I found this article helpful and hope it can help you too-
    Mindfulness The Path to The Deathless-Instructions_The Mantra 'Buddho'.

14. flagstone149

flagstone149 Member

Quick hijack if you don't mind. Kind of in the same boat as tomon. I just have some basic questions.

After a few minutes of a half lotus or simply cross legged my body begins to tense. My back tenses from keeping straight and my legs b/c they start trying to support the back.

And it seems I have to put too much energy into keeping my eyes closed. If I don't they slightly flutter open.

I'm not a tense person. Not on-edge at all. What am I doing wrong?

15. jimbob007

jimbob007 Member

Thank you for that, very useful.

16. GilesC

GilesC Member

Perhaps just try meditating in a comfortable chair with your back supported (bot not your head as that is conducive to rest/sleep). There is not a necessity to sit cross legged, in half lotus or lotus position. ;)

Hugs

Giles

17. simonc00772

simonc00772 Member

The greatest meditation secret

Something I read the other day, the greatest secret to successfull meditating is...............

To actually do it!

18. Panthau

Panthau Member

hehe that reminds me on this saying:

"Everybody can do ashtanga yoga, young people, old people, sick people - except lazy people. Lazy people can't do yoga." (Pattabhi Jois)

I guess its the same for meditation :rolleyes:

19. purplevibe

purplevibe Member

yoga, meditation, sitting

Yoga, meditation, is all about doing, yes, Panthau, you are right, of course, it is all about setting that time aside for you, for you, yes, to do some yoga or meditation. If you are having a problem sitting in a certain position, then change it, meditation is not about being uncomfortable, sit on a couple of blankets, sitting on the edge of them, so that you are comfortable but sitting upright, that will be comfortable. Sit with another blanket over you, if that makes you feel comfortably warm. It is all about being comfortable but being upright will make you comfortable to sit for some time so try the couple of blankets, but sit on the edge so that you are not in a flat position, which would be no different from sitting on the floor. Enjoy your meditation, it is not about sitting in the lotus position, it is about being in the moment, and you can't do that unless you are comfortable in your body, once you are comfortable in your body your mind is free.

NAMASTE X

20. Panthau

Panthau Member

... on the other hand, is meditation all about doing? :D