1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

New to meditation

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by lilyv143, Nov 7, 2013.

1. lilyv143

lilyv143 Member

I'm a single mom living in a new town and the stress I been feeling is effecting my emotions
    And I began exploring the art of meditation to try and help relieve some of the negativity I been feeling,but being a single mom with two kids living in a small 2 bedroom apartment I really don't seem to be getting the peace and quiet an privacy to do my meditation. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should do my meditation and what would be a good amount of time to do it for. I'm just a beginner and quieting my mind has been difficult.

2. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Lily and welcome to the community :)

You can download "Discover Meditation" from the top left of the community. It's free so you have nothing to loose. Please know this, it's as good as what many pay hundreds or thousands of dollars to practise meditation. I would have loved to have found this when I was in your position many years ago. I think you will absolutely love doing the gratitude exercise on C.D.2 to the beautiful music provided (7 minutes)

Just 5, 10 or 15 minutes will help you in the beginning. Stay with it Lily, I look forward to hearing how you progress and wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)

3. GilesC

GilesC Member

I'll second what Polly says, the discover meditation technique is essentially what people pay lots of money to learn as Transcendental Meditation, but without all the ceremony, mysticism/secrecy and expense.

As polly says, just start with say 5 or 10 minutes, and try to do this a couple of times a day. I'd recommend once in the morning just after you've woken, and once again in the evening before you eat if you can. I remember it was hard, when I started meditating, to find the time to do it, but I started by changing my alarm clock to wake me a little earlier to actually make the time to do it. If your kids are old enough to understand, ask them to let you have 5 or 10 minutes "mum time" a couple of times a day, so they know not to disturb you. I know meditation is seen by some people as a little bit odd-ball and people done want to tell anyone they're doing it, but in truth more and more people are doing such things nowadays and there's no shame in talking about it and being open, especially with those around you.

If you want to do it, you'll make the time. ;)

Hugs

Giles

4. lilyv143

lilyv143 Member

thanks Pollyanna & Giles

Great advice and thanks for the encouraging words I Will let you know how its working out.:) Much love and joy to everyone.

5. Figge

Figge Member

You already have some good advice here from more experienced people but I want to add that starting "small" with consitency helps me a lot when forming a new habit. Take the time you have (no matter how little) and try to be as consistent as possible, you will soon notice that the time you spend increases without you having to make big sacrifices.

Also, don't be too hard on yourself, it is easy to feel like failure in the beginning for not using the time to 100% efficiency. The truth is, you are a success for getting started.

Love

Fredrik