1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

new to meditation

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by sharmanam, Oct 25, 2011.

1. sharmanam

sharmanam Member

I have been meditating for about 5mts now a nd have found recently that I can really still my mind and get to a feeling where I am only feeling the chair I am sitting on. The rest of my body feels.." not there ".....when I get to this stage I start to panic and come back "to reality"....is this normal , what should i do or should I feel scared?

2. Hazelkay

Hazelkay Member

Hi sharmanam

Welcome to the forum:)
    Welcome!
    Absolutely no need to panic! :D It is a very normal phenomenon and you are in no danger.

If you feel a bit panicky, just touch parts of your body and you'll find they are still there.

You can try concentrating your attention on one part of the body - say the hands or the feet and see if you can be aware of very subtle sensations - like tiny tinglings, slight buzzing, feeling of warmth. As your awareness develops you can be aware of very subtle continuous vibrations in all parts of the body.

Hope this helps
    peace and joy
    H:)

3. GilesC

GilesC Member

Yep, it's absolutely normal. It's the mind that is panicking, not you, and it will do it's best to bring you out of the meditation. Don't fight it, just recognise that it's the mind doing it and bring yourself back to your meditation practice again. With time it will become easier.

Hugs

Giles