1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

New To Meditation? A Log of The Early Days!!!!

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Peaceful Warrior, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Peaceful Warrior

Peaceful Warrior New Member

Please use this thread to log your early experiences with the meditation training you are using from Project Meditation.

Discover Meditation

or

LifeFlow

Looking forward to hearing and advising if I am able! PW :)

2. gbriggenshaw

gbriggenshaw Member

life flow

hello everyone i thought i would share my first life flow experience with you all. I have been meditating for a couple of months now but just recently i was feeling it was going a bit stale so was more than excited to try the life flow system as i really seemed to grasp the concept of how its worked so i tryed it for the first time last night and was really pleased with the result first of all i began to feel i was going deeper into to the meditation much quicker than usual and then my eyes began to flicker as they usualy would when im in a really relaxed state but then i felt as if my eyes where crossing this wasnt uncomfortable but i wondered if had something to do with the two sides of the brain synchronizing? anyway then i started to see an image of a sweetshop i used to go to when i was a child that had a butchers in it and i hadnt thought of this for years and i dont quite know what it meant but it was stange and intriguing. so thank you micheal and please let me know how a can download the complete set of life flow as i have only been able to download to number 8 with my current credits, thank you.

3. Matti

Matti Member

LifeFlow

I have meditated couple of moths whit Discover meditation, but not so regulary. Yesterday i tryied lifeflow and it was great! It worked really fast and good, but i had funny feeling on my left side of my head it was like stiff(?):confused: or something. Is that normal?

4. Victoria

Victoria Moderator

Is that normal?

Hi Matti its great to hear other peoples experiences as everyone is so different and will most probably experience all kinds of weird and wonderful things! I have however been assured that all these feelings felt, whether mental or physical are very natural and not to be worried about, it is indeed the beginning of brain entrainment. I have found myself thinking of things from my past that i hadn't thought really bothered me but in consistently pushing myself to "flow" nearly ( if i'm being honest ) every day i can definately feel how my stress level has become higher allowing me to ignore petty annoyances. It has been stressed to me however, that although it is not damaging to go through the different levels too quickly, it is of no benefit. The lower levels if i were to try them before i am ready just wouldn't work the same, as re-training the brain is a process and this new way of synchronizing both sides is quite alien to how it has dealt with things in the past. I find it all so fascinating. As i have said when i introduced myself, i have pestered Michael and the team in my early days, they must have dreaded my emails and constant questions of concern. I think this is a great way for everone to hear what others have to say.
    Wow!!! how i can ramble , sorry!! :eek:

5. Raven

Raven Member

Odd sensations in the body

Keep in mind that when you practice any kind of technique, such as meditation, that produces profound muscle relaxation in the body, not all muscles relax at exactly the same rate. Take for example, the muscles of your face. You've got symmetrical pairs of muscles on both sides of your face. Some of those "odd" feelings come about because the muscles in one place relax quicker than the muscles in another. That residual tension (that you weren't even aware of before) begins to feel like a "pulling sensation" relative to the muscles that have relaxed more completely.

It's a little like the sculptor who chips away at the rock to reveal what already resides inside, only with stress you are chipping away layers of stress and its revealing deeper layers you didn't even know existed. In other words, it's a good thing; nothing to be worried about.

~R~

6. stephen1313

stephen1313 Member

Beginner problems?

Can anybody tell me the symptoms (if any) of over meditating in the beginning? Seem to be feeling a bit moody and headachey

7. Ta-tsu-wa

Ta-tsu-wa Member

Posture?

When you meditate, is your body in a comfortable position? If your body is in a position that causes your muscles to build up tension, that might be one reason for the headaches. It might just be me, but when I have a headache the headache makes me moodier than I normally am. Maybe your moods and the headaches are a package deal you could fix by practicing your meditation in a posture that allows you to remain as free from muscle tension as possible?

8. Ras

Ras Member

thought i wanted to share my none-life flow meditation result(s)..

All my life I have had a *very* difficult time remembering my dreams from my sleep... this has always bugged me quite a bit as most people seem to be able to remember their dreams very easily!
    After less than a week of mantra meditation (once or twice a day) I suddendly started to be able to recall most of my dreams very very clearly! When waking up in the morning i was suddendly able to remember one or two dreams, which was very nice!
    The last 2 months i havent been keeping up my meditation however (have been on a trip to asia) and i can feel that i am slowly starting to "forget" my dreams again. Hopefully they should come back to me in a week or so :)

9. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Over- meditating

Some people have many unresolved issues which they have supressed or not dealt with. If you over meditate in the beginning you can bring them up too quickly which could make you feel anxious. It's best to deal with them one at a time. In Discover meditation Michael explains everything to you and guides you through. It's great to begin with. The articles in Learn How You Can Benefit From Project Meditation! are extremely informative and amazing reading. Hope this helps :) :) :)

10. stephen1313

stephen1313 Member

Thanks Ta-tsu-wa and Pollyanna. I do sit comfortably and relaxed and thought I had started reasonbly slowly, but perhaps you are right about issues...seems to ba a lot of old pent up anger in there somewhere, strange becuase I always thought of myself as placid:confused:

11. Edwin

Edwin Member

I'm not sure if anyone can be described as placid actually...

Every person experiences the same kinds of feelings, has to deal with the same type of pressure/stress.
    It could be your tolerance levels have been higher from the start, even without meditation.
    Could it be that your http://www.project-meditation.org/c...t-project-meditation/28-your-map-reality.html made you think of yourself as placid, and because of that you could even have suppressed feelings of stress, disappointment or even anger !

Just to be sure, maybe you could try to meditate while lying down in a comfortable way ? The posture in which you meditate really doesn't matter, most people just sit to make sure they don't fall asleep.

If you still have these headaches while meditating of afterwords, you might want to consider visiting a doctor about them. It could very well be you need fysiotherapy or something, the headache might come from your neck or back, or even one of your shoulders ( have had that once ) and maybe you are starting to notice an old or new muscle injurie because of the tension release in your muscles while meditating !

12. Michael Mackenzie

Michael Mackenzie Owner

Headaches and Moody!

Repressed emotions, memories, etc., do come up in meditation. The best solution is either to observe them (Vipassana) or, when they begin to arise, take a break from your meditation session and resume it again later. By gradually building up the practice over time.

The headache part, sounds to me like you may well be "working" at relaxing. Many newbies to meditation do just that. When you relax you relax, you don't strain to relax.

Did you feel like this before beginning meditation? Does it begin and/or intensify during or immediately after meditation?

If there is a connection, my recommentation is that you should use the LifeFlow 10 track while laying down and simply relaxing physically. Not meditating. Just relaxing.

You may want to use a simple progressive relaxation technique of first tensing then relaxing the muscle groups in sequence.

What you are doing is just becoming accustomed to getting the body relaxed and comfortable without having to worry about "getting my meditation technique right."

This takes off some of the strain of "trying too hard", and may resolve the problem.

Once you get completely relaxed without invoking the headaches and moods then you can add in meditation, slowly at first and building as it becomes easier. I'm betting such an approach will prove to be of value to you.

Michael :)

13. benji

benji Member

Just finished my first Lifeflow10 listening

Holly cow! I feel sooooo chilled. Don't think ive been this chilled for years

I've tried to meditate numerous times before without much success...I did not really have much hope for this but thought I may aswel try after reading some others posts. This is what I have been looking for. Think I may do another seesion tonight. :p

Can anyone tell me what the deeper levels are like??? I can't wait to try the next ones but I will stick with this for a month or so like michael says!

I did not expect this type of relaxation just through listening to a CD :D

I have the morning off today, so going to read through michaels reports on this stuff!!!

So glad i found this place. benji :) :) :)

14. Victoria

Victoria Moderator

Welcome Aboard Benji !

HI Benji, Just reading your post makes me want to go and do my life flow straight away. Its soooo great to hear new peoples comments and excitement, you sound just like i feel. Its amazing how quickly you notice the effects isn't it. I remember promising myself to give it atleast a month though quietly hoped for noticable changes within the first week and like you couldn't believe how relaxed it made me feel after just one session. Trying to explain it to family if they are not listening to it is impossible! If your amazed now, i can't wait for you to post in another just another week. The key is most definately Making that special bit of time in the day EVERY day! Do read up on on what Michael suggests though and the reasons behind it as i became so much more dedicated to not missing a session for whatever reason when i started to understand how it re-trains the brain. I find all that stuff fascinating! am sure you will too! Doesn't everyone deserve to know about this???? :cool:

15. Victoria

Victoria Moderator

What an essay - Sorry!

Wow, sorry i can really ramble when i get going, Lol . Got logged out just replying to your post it took me that long :eek: Peaceful flowings to you !!!

16. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

I thought I was placid also Stephen

Hi Stephen, I also thought I was placid when in fact I had a lot of supressed emotions. When I read Michael's reports on "Learn How You Can Benefit From Project Meditation!" it was a revelation to me. If you click on the community button at the top and then click on Learn How You Can Benefit From Project Meditation! you can then click on raising your tolerance levels, map of reality and resistance. These brief reports will hopefully help you to understand. You may be resisting dealing with some issue or other. Hope this helps :) :) :)

17. mary

mary Member

Thanks everyone for the insights into what you have experienced whilst meditating. Once the 'silly' season is over I cannot wait to get started.

Mary

18. oceanscribe

oceanscribe Member

Something must be right...maybe you can tell me.

Well after years of soul searching most of my lines of enquiry led me to meditation as a starting point for improving many aspects of my life, but it seemed to take equally as long to find a meditation that would suit me.

I live and work on boats, it is very hard to find time and space alone without someone or something interupting and even if you do manage to find somewhere quiet where you won't be disturbed by others charging around the deck the sound of a mantra eminating from the cabin would lead to certain ridicule, such is the nature of the industry. Not that I wouldn't be happy to defend my position if I knew it would work for me but not an easy set of circumstances in which to start.

Consequently Project Meditation and Michael's method appeared to be the ideal solution for me.

I have been meditating for about six weeks now although that would be an initial two weeks followed by a gap of about 10 days where there was too much going on and consistently since then. I normally manage one 20 minute session per day, with two at weekends and today I started Lifeflow, but I will come to that in a minute.

I managed to yawn all the way through my first session and to my surprise tears flooded out of my eyes when I opened them, that was totally unexpected, but I felt relaxed and I guess that there was simply tension being released, either that or I was relieved and happy to have finally begun something. After about 5 days I noticed that the 10 minute sessions were over almost as soon as they had begun and moved up to 20 minutes.

I consider myself a relatively patient soul, and was happy to follow the advice about having no expectations, probably a good job, as I am still here but I wonder if my approach and what I am experiencing is putting me in the right direction, or if I am making simple mistakes that are going to hold me back.

The first is my physical position. I started off in a straight backed chair but found that I was slumping during my session, so I moved to sitting on the edge of the bed with a pillow resting under my coccyx but still found I was slumping. Having read a few of the posts here in the community I am tempted to sit on the bed either cross legged or in one of the lotus variations with my back against the wall, or even consider lying down, but as I am prone to sleeping easily I want to avoid the last option.

The second is what actually goes on in my mind during the sessions. Previous attempts proved to me that imagining a blank canvass or trying to imagine balls of light just doesn't work for me, if I try counting sheep, for example, they stampede at some point, so allowing my mind to wander and to try and merely observe what is happening seemed another positive aspect of the programme.

I have had thoughts that seem to come from nowhere and are completely unexpected, whether they are childhood memories or of things long forgotten, this suggests to me that I am making some progress. But on the other hand, concentrating on my mantra seems to distract me rather than help, again from reading postings to the community trying different ones might help, but when I lose it, for example, and I notice this, I am quite stern about concentrating on it again which seems to 'wake me up' a little more. Maybe this is normal, and what I should be doing, but some confirmation would be useful if anyone can provide it.

The other thing that happens is that (although this seems to be happening less now) is that I become conscious of whether my mantra is in time with my breathing or out of time, or I find myself either counting or adding a couple of 'drum beats' in between mantras which doesn't seem to help, trying to listening to the silence or listen for a heart beat in between seems to help, but again this is a new discipline and I am still learning.

And, having said that the 10 minute sessions seemed to be over in next to no time, I have yet to have a 20 minute session where I haven't thought about the time, not wishing the session away, you understand, but just observing 'oh, I must be about half way through now', or 'hmm, probably near the end'.

So you see, I think I must be getting something right, otherwise I wouldn't be witnessing some of the thoughts that I am having, and I don't feel frustrated with it, and I am going to carry on. But I am alone here and have no experience and feel that maybe I could be doing better. I would be grateful for any helpful comments.

Oh, about the Lifeflow which I tried for the first time today... Only did 20 mins but believe from comments here that I really ought to do the full 40, but my mantra really seemed to get in the way. I was wondering if it would help if I just try picking a sound like the water or the crickets and concentrating on that?

Apologies for the essay, I am told that I do like to make a story out of everything but thought that I would like to share my initial experiences and hopefully get some tips on what to try to change the school report from 'could do better!'

19. Raven

Raven Member

You could pick a element of a LifeFlow track to focus attention on provided it doesn't lead you to get caught up in an internal dialogue about it. The idea with a mantra is to use the mantra to help slow down the chatter of the brain, not simply to give it a new source of things to blabber on about. So if, for example, you pick the sound of the crickets as the mantra, if you can stay focused on the sound without your mind breaking in and saying things like, "I'm listening to the crickets. Keep listening to the crickets. Nothing but crickets here. I'm only hearing crickets. Wow, there sure are a lot of crickets. This cricket sound is really relaxing...." blah, blah, blah, then it should work. But if you find yourself falling into mental dialogs like those above you should probably opt for a more traditional kind of mantra.

~R~

20. Edwin

Edwin Member

I agree with Raven one 100 %.
    Mantra is not something magical for us, because it is not a religion for us, no offense to those of us whose meditation is part of their religion.
    It is simply there to help you quiet your mind, a trick if you will.

Others count their breath, like in Zen, or simply observe all they hear and give it really simple names like "car" or "plane" like Vipassana does.
    We really should make a thread about the different ways of meditation that are around.