1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

New to meditatiaon - Am I missing something?

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by Tigger, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Tigger

Tigger Member

Hi,
    I have tried to mediate for a number of years, have been through the motions but never felt as if I meditated.

I really do fell that this is the one that will help me get started.

I have a question about what I should expect.
    I have downloaded the "discover meditation and using a iPod with Sony over the ear headphones. I listened to the introduction CD1. Did some research and chose my Mantra.
    The question is that on CD2 - should I hear anything during the meditation time?
    Listened to CD3, fell a sleep during, but did not experience some of the wonderful results that others are.

I have done about 3 sessions and although it was good to sit quietely and try to meditate I really do feel that I am missing something.

Any help or suggestion greatly appreciated

Tigger

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Tigger,

No, there's nothing to hear on the CD's when Michael leaves you to meditate as the CD is just acting as a timer for you to indicate when the allotted time has finished.

Perhaps if I can first ask you what it is you expect meditation to be like? Then we may (will) be able to answer your question as to whether you are missing something.

Hugs

Giles

3. freedomtrails

freedomtrails Member

Becoming drowsy while meditating

For someone new to meditation to “fall asleep” or to become drowsy while quieting your mind of thoughts is perfectly natural. That is what your body is use to doing when thoughts are cleared, so tired or not, your body takes this as a signal to sleep. After a little bit of practice you may find that being present in the moment without the clutter of thought will be rewarding enough and give you the energy to be awake. Happy Trails. . .

4. Tigger

Tigger Member

Hello Giles,
    Thanks for your reply.
    The honest answer is I am not sure!
    I would like to feel calm, relaxed, and contented.
    Regards
    Tigger

5. chris-da-fur

chris-da-fur Member

I just wanted to say awesome username!!

Also I dealt with that confusion when I started a few weeks ago as well, like hmmmm, what is supposedly happening here? type of feeling, but just stick with it and don't try to accomplish anything! it's kind of like a snowball rolling down a hill, takes a little to get going but it builds up quick ;)

6. yesrod

yesrod Member

sleep

I have slept in some sessions, but felt more of a calm energy when it ended. The sessions usually start out with good and bad past experiences. I don't get emotionally attached to them , just become an observer. I believe by not being attached these experiences become my servers. It's like standing on a mountain and watching a storm coming in or a beautiful sunset. Neither have any power over you. That is the lesson in life,neither good or bad has any real power over you.

7. David Lennox

David Lennox Member

I hope this is a reasonable site, I am sick of trying to get meditation ideas and been filled up with advertising and phony offers.

8. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

Hi David!
    Project Meditation does in fact sell a brainwave entrainment system (LifeFlow) and you will find advertising for it on the Project Meditation site. What is worse, it is quite American in style. I still cringe when I read about the endlessly happy endorphins. But the truth is, it really is quite good, and almost everyone here on the forum use it. We don't get paid for selling it though. And you don't need to buy anything to hang out here. And yes, we users write the success stories, they are not made up by salespeople, even those that look too good to be true.

9. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Tigger,

I hadn't forgotten you, was just busy, so I'm back and will try and get your thread back on topic. ;)

Ok, so you have expectations about what meditation should feel like. That's perfectly ok and normal.

However, the meditative state is something that is very simple yet our expectations and unfamiliarity with it (both things that are in the "mind") do tend to work against us and prevent us from getting into that state for any length of time.

We've all entered the state many times and sometimes we can recall being in it, such as like those times you lay on the grass on a warm summers day and just look up at the clouds and become completely aware of everything without actually thinking about anything.

And that's what the meditative state is really... a state of complete awareness. What most commonly gets in the way is thoughts; whether those thoughts are created by expectations or emotions or memories or whatever. When these thoughts arise (and you can observe that happening in your mind all the time) we attach onto them and start to follow them. With the act of meditation, what we want to do is observe that the thought is rising, then simply acknowledge it and let it go. It takes practice, but with time you will be able to just let the thoughts go, regardless of what they relate to. And occasionally you'll get thoughts that really drag you away from your meditation, but that's normal, and when you observe that that has happened you can use that observation as a trigger to bring yourself back to your meditation practice, just inviting your mantra back.

If you expect to feel things (like relaxation, calm etc.) during the meditation, you are putting your focus on your senses and your emotional state, and not letting those things go. Recognise that meditation doesn't give you those things whilst you are meditating, it is simply a state of complete awareness, without any emotion, without any thoughts etc. It is the effects of the meditative state that stay with us after we come out of the meditation practice that allow us to be more calm and relaxed in our everyday lives. You may start to notice this just slightly at first, but after a while of practicing meditation it becomes more of your daily being and you will recognise the change from when you started, much more.

So, simply let the expectations go, continue practicing your meditation, using your mantra as a tool to help you take the focus away from thoughts etc. If thoughts come up, (which is perfectly normal, so avoid thinking you are doing something wrong) just let them go and bring your mantra back. If you become aware that the mantra disappears and there are no thoughts either, then just stay with that.

Hugs

Giles

10. Tigger

Tigger Member

Thank you to all

Hello,

Firstly a big Thank you to all. I am truly overwhelmed with all your help and kindness to my question.
    I think I finally get it!!!
    Meditation is about being in getting in a state of mind. Where you do not think about anything. The mantra, silence, music are there to help achieve this state. I am sort of getting there - Thanks to your suggestions.
    I have now purchased CD10.

Regards

Tigger:)

11. jimbob007

jimbob007 Member

Tigger,
    I have just started, so feel exactly the same as you. Would be interesting to keep in touch to see how you progess and visa versa. Good luck

Jimbob

12. Karen Yvonne

Karen Yvonne Member

Giles

I have read your March 16 posting to Tigger. I have been meditating for two weeks and have found it to be a delightful experience despite not experiencing and feelings, emotions, pictures etc. The biggest difference is the attitude of thankfulness and gratitude following the meditation as suggested in the Discover Meditation CDs. I am so encouraged by your description and tone about this new journey. Thank you!

Karen

13. helenkatrine

helenkatrine Member

can any one tell me what mantra means

14. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Helen,

I assume the forum got the better of you there as you've quoted my post, broken the quote and not written anything. No worries, you'll get the hang of it. :)

Hugs

Giles

15. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Karen,

My apologies for not seeing your post here earlier. Not sure how it slipped by me. :eek:

Do please let us know how you are getting on with your meditation as it's been a few weeks and the start of your practice certainly sounded promising. :)

Hugs

Giles