1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

New to mediation

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by littleVillage, Mar 1, 2010.

1. littleVillage

littleVillage Member

Hi

I have really strugled to grasp meditation and love the idea of having that inner peace. I have just come across thes life flow cds and want to know if you literally have to just listen to it or have to be able to medutate in order to reap the rewards? or is it a case of it will happen when you listen to the tracks?

thanks x

2. KeithP

KeithP Member

Hi LittleVillage and welcome to the community.

The best way to start would be to use the free introduction to meditation course which is available on the site.

Although Lifeflow can be used for various methods of meditation the use of a mantra seems to be the most preferred and is the method I use.

It is probably best to look at Lifeflow as an enhancement to meditation rather than a stand alone method. In my own case I can say that the use of Lifeflow has "turbo charged" my practice and that I have advanced further in the months since I started to use it than in the previous thirty years.

But do not be in too much of a hurry. Take the free course, see how it goes and then move onto Lifeflow.

Good luck and best wishes,

Keith

3. littleVillage

littleVillage Member

oh thanks keith so much for your message...i just sent a new one as i didnt realise someone had replied...doh!! so ignore my new message!

right i will do the meditation course then...thanks so much for your advice!

briony

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  4. KeithP

KeithP Member

Hello again Briony,

Yes, meditation can help you to calm your negative thoughts as it can help in so many area's of your life.

But please do not be in too much of a rush. Your present circumstances may mean that you are pressed for time and more harassed than you would like. Remember that a little meditation done regularly will be far more beneficial than longer periods done irregularly. Also do not have too many expectations as to what meditation may do for you. Look upon it as a sort of magical mystery tour, take it steady and see how it goes. Work your way slowly and steadily through Michaels meditation course, when you are happy with that then go onto the lifeflow sample. By taking things slowly you will build a firm foundation which will prove of great benefit in the long run.

Good luck and best wishes and please let us know how you get on,

Keith

5. newyorker

newyorker Member

6. PugKrazy

PugKrazy Member

New to Meditation

Hi everyone! I'm new to meditation too! I'm glad to have read the message above because the reason I haven't really been able to work meditation into my life is because I always feel like I need more time than I have/make to meditate. I end up frustrated because of all of the interuptions in my household. I will now focus on getting a few minutes in each day and be satisfied with that.

Thanks! :D

7. littleVillage

littleVillage Member

Hi Folks

Well I followed the meditation cds and really enjoyed them but Im not sure if Im doing the mantra correctly I find that I repeat the mantra with the flow of my breath which has sometimes made me feel quite breathless!! so was wondering do I just follow the mantra in my head...Im not too sure how to do it!

Ive also purchased the life flow cd and attempted to meditate with these but not found that I ve seen or followed any emotions its just blank but I do feel nice and tingly afterwards which I feel the same when I just listen to the cd! For this reason I thought that maybe Im not really meditating properly yet??! also I gather that you can over meditate but can you just listen to the tracks too often? the only reason I ask is that the other night I fell asleep listening to life flow the next morning I still had the earphones in but i felt quite low that day whether that was just how I was feeling that day or anything to do with overlistening!!

sorry to many questions!! but hope someone can answer them!!

cheers
    x

8. osamipo

osamipo Member

Hi!

As i see it, you dont need to synchronise the mantra with the breath. Just gently think the mantra. Your mind will wander, of course, and if you feel like you have the thoughts and the mantra in the connsciousness at the same time (being aware of both) its perfecltly normal. From time to time, you will get "lost" in thinking completely forgetting the mantra. But, gusess what? Thats also ok. Just gently start thinking the mantra again. Meditation is supposed to be effortless. Just enjoy the process.

You actually can overmeditate. But, when you are beginner with LF, your brain will need some time to "get used to" entrainment. So, its ok if you feel sleepy. Just trust the process, take time and enjoy!

Best,
    Alex

9. littleVillage

littleVillage Member

oh thanks for that!!

I think I actually meditated this morning!! but it was a bizarre sensation as my heart felt really heavy like there was something weighing it down and then my shoulders were really heavy too but I didnt know how to release the discomfort! is it likely that this is an issue I cant release? Im not entirely sure how to release it aswell?

x

10. osamipo

osamipo Member

You could try The Sedona Method or EFT. Sedona worked pretty well for me.

Or you could just feel the sensations you are experiencing, kindly, without judging, trying to analyze or trying to change them. It can cause mild discomfort, but now you are bringing to the surface what was supressed, i guess. So, what surfaces needs to be processed.

I can recommend a very fine book to all. Its Emotional Clearing by John Ruskan.

Best to all,
    Alex

11. littleVillage

littleVillage Member

thanks for that!

I have just looked into the sedona method and the 180 day course on dvd seems quite expensive...can I just buy the book or is it best to buy the cd?

12. osamipo

osamipo Member

Its 180 day money back guarantee for 20 cd course. Its the best choice. But, yes you can buy a book and you certainly want to order a free dvd and introduction cd they are offering. That way you'll see if it is your "cup of tea".
    And for EFT, they offer a free manual.

13. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi there,

Meditation will help you to gradually release backlogs of stress and suppressed emotions which will at some point be brought to the surface during meditation. This is the opportunity for you to release them.

All you need to do is accept any sensation you feel and unemotionally and curiously just observe it (I often ask the sensation in my mind "so where do you come from?")

The key is to simply accept and observe with great curiosity and indifference. When you consciously and calmly observe anything that does not serve you well it will simply fade away. Sometimes I have observed a sensation for a short time and sometimes needed to observe longer but afterwards a feeling that I have let go of things like betrayal and abandonment etc. seems very clear to me. I hope this is of help and wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)

14. littleVillage

littleVillage Member

thanks so much polyanna!!

In fact I did mediatate and just relaxed and allowed the heaviness to be there and Im not sure is it was phychological but I m sure I felt lighter!! anyway another question is that I read about life flow 3 helping you get to sleep! I do have the odd night where I do take a while to settle off and was wondering whether it would be worth my while trying this although I wasnt sure if I shouldnt seeing as Ive only just started on LF 10?

thanks for everybodies help and fuidance
    x

15. KeithP

KeithP Member

Hi again,

It is very easy when starting in meditation to believe that it is more difficult than it is.

The only thing you need is persistence as the effects of meditation are cumulative. Also look upon the results with indifference and have no expectations. It really is as easy as just letting go.

As regards the use of the mantra there is so much good advice already on the site that a quick search will soon find the answers to any questions you may have.

The sleep problem should also sort itself out as you continue with your practice. I would not use Lifeflow as a means of getting to sleep, just work your way through the levels in sequence, follow the process as per the advice and I think that you will be very pleased with the progress you make.

Good luck and best wishes,

Keith

16. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi there littleVillage, I have copied the following from a couple of "The Good Life" issues Michael sent out some time ago. Here's a piece about the sleep cycle:- My 6 year old grandaughter goes to sleep to LF9 (her favourite at the moment) My 8 year old grandson goes to sleep to Creative Flow. It really helps them drift off within minutes. My husband often plays Midnight Express to help him drift off. Meditating to LifeFlow has solved my sleep issues a long time ago thank goodness.

If I had trouble sleeping I would choose a theta or delta track, however, I would not keep it playing for too long for I would not want it to interfere with the natural sleep cycle. Below, you will find a couple of pieces I have copied from emails from Michael which explain the sleep cycle and how versatile the LF series is:-

Sleep Cycle

At night a typical human goes through a series of sleep cycles. A cycle begins the moment you close your eyes as the brain almost immediately begins to increase its production of Alpha waves. As you relax and become more drowsy Alpha waves increase and deepen, eventually becoming Theta. It's at this crossover point into Theta that you actually drift off to sleep and release consciousness of the outside world.

As with Alpha waves, the Theta waves deepen and increase. At the lower levels of Theta is your REM sleep. The deeper Theta levels are where your body starts to release greater amounts of Human Growth Hormone (HGH) for tissue repair and organs such as the liver begin purging themselves of accumulated toxins. Gradually you drop down through Theta and enter Delta.

Delta sleep is where you get your deepest, most recuperative rest. If you've ever had one of those nights in which you seem to dream all the time, and when you wake up you're still fatigued and don't feel at all rested, then you know what it feels like to go without the necessary amounts of Delta level sleep. Even though you were asleep as evidenced by the fact that you were dreaming, you wake up and feel as tired or more so than before you went to bed. So Delta sleep is critical to rejuvenation of both mind and body.

Delta gradually deepens down to around .5 to 1hz in frequency. You remain in Delta for a time and then begin the climb back up through the various brainwave levels in reverse order. When you get back up to the Alpha level again this completes one sleep cycle.

It varies from individual to individual but a normal sleep cycle usually takes from 60 to 90 minutes to complete before it begins all over again. But each sleep cycle is different in one very critical way. The time you spend in the Delta wave level decreases with each successive cycle.

Perhaps in your first cycle you spend 30 or 40 minutes in Delta out of a 90 minute cycle. On the next cycle you may only spend 20 to 25 minutes in Delta. And on the next cycle perhaps you spend only 15 minutes there. Each cycle remains the same length overall but your Delta time decreases. That means your first two or three sleep cycles each night are probably the most critical. There is a connection here with your body's internal clock as well as the actual time of day. Your body's rhythms follow the rhythms of the sun. This is one reason why sleep experts advise you to sleep in a room that is completely dark. Even artificial lights such as that from a digital alarm clock or night light can confuse your body, making it think the sun has not yet set because it is not sufficiently dark.

Versatility of LifeFlow

LifeFlow has been specifically designed to dramatically speed up the process of meditation which can otherwise take years and even decades to master.

That being said, meditation is just one activity that may be enhanced by LifeFlow audio technology.

You’ve discovered already that in certain brain wave frequencies the brain releases numerous highly beneficial hormones and substances to improve your health, happiness and longevity.

You’ve also learned how to protect yourself from EMF pollution with LifeFlow 7

Now you can discover how more and more people are making use of the extra invaluable benefits that the LifeFlow series has to offer and here are a few examples:-

“I have two daughters, ages 8 and 6. I too play the LifeFlow series for them, but I play different tracks for them at different times depending on what they're doing at the time.

For example:
    If they're doing homework or studying, I play one of the tracks from the Alpha range (LifeFlow 10, 9, or 8). To quote Michael, "LifeFlow 10, 9 and 8 are various levels of Alpha brain waves." "(Alpha waves) range in frequency from 8 to 12.9 Hz. We enter into a 'Super learning' state within the higher end of Alpha and we also produce calming neuro chemicals."

So from what I understand, these tracks help produce brainwave patterns that are conducive to learning, and relaxing (VERY helpful when they are agitated and don't want to do homework!)

If it's bed time, I play LifeFlow tracks 7, 6, 5, and 4. Again, to quote from this site, "LifeFlow 7, 6, 5 and 4 are various levels within the Theta brain waves." "Theta waves have a frequency range of 4 to 7.9 Hz. Theta waves are frequently accompanied by unexpected, dreamlike mental images. Quite often these images can be accompanied by vivid memories, predominantly childhood memories. Theta is associated with healing, enhanced creativity, sudden insight (eureka or ah-ha moments) when everything suddenly becomes clear."

I feel like they settle down more easily, are more open to healing conversations about their day and their lives, and are more receptive to creative thought that might help them reframe a difficult situation in their lives.

After they have fallen asleep, I switch to LifeFlow tracks 3, 2, & 1. "LifeFlow 3, 2 and 1 are various levels within Delta brain waves." "Delta waves are the slowest brain waves ranging in frequency from 0.1 to 3.9. Usually people are asleep during delta, however there is proof that it is possible to stay alert in this state—an extremely deep trance-like state. Also it is within delta that our brains are triggered to release great quantities of healing growth hormone."

LifeFlow is amazing! With the LifeFlow program you have the opportunity to use what you know about the mind to help your children grow and develop to their fullest potential.

Shine on,”
    Joshua

LifeFlow in the delivery room.

“My wife and I recently had our second child and we decided to have Life Flow play in the delivery room. The music was absolutely amazing at keeping us both calm and focused during the entire process. After the baby was born my wife often listened to the recordings (with headphones) as she breast fed. I won't go into to many more details unless you folks want to hear about it. I just wanted you all to know that I love this product. I think the quality of the recordings speak for themselves. One of the BEST investments I ever made.”

-Foojoy

Creative Flow is so versatile.

I couldn't believe it when I read about Creative flow, Optimal learning and Lifeflow 10 being good for children and pets in a recent newsletter! So I've put it to the test and here's what I've found so far:-
    My daughter has been playing optimal learning and Lifeflow 10 in the background whilst my 6 year old grandson has been doing his French homework for over a week now and although it's too early to know if he is academically improving she has definitely noticed that he isn't always trying to leave some homework for later, he just gets on with it.

Before he always used to ask all the time to go and play (who wouldn't?) Both my grandchildren, aged 6 and 4 often get out of bed a number of times with various excuses (as they do) Again we have been playing Creative Flow quietly in the background during their bedtime story and it is working wonders relaxing them.

We have a weekly family business meeting on Mondays. We have been playing Creative Flow in the background and good ideas are definitely flowing much more easily.

We have four little dogs and one of them has always been very nervous. We have been playing Creative Flow again in the background for them - we're not sure if we're imagining an improvement in the nervous one - it may be wishful thinking, but all of them definitely seem to relax more when it's playing. Anyway I'm amazed with the whole thing.” Pollyanna

Now, you can optimize your LifeFlow series and enjoy life to the max.

I hope this is of help to you and wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)