1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

New perspective

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by Panthau, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Panthau

Panthau Member

A few weeks ago i saw a paramedic on tv, and something inside me made "click". I then got all the information about voluntary work as a paramedic, but still wasnt sure about my motivations. I want to give something which is not for me, but knew that paramedics here in austria often get tip from the patients, and that most guys just aim for that... also my ego felt very good by the thought of a paramedic suite and driving in an ambulance :D

Then i found the possibility to work in a hospice, and felt thats exactly the right thing for me... i can learn to open my heart, to give without expecting something back, to love. Right now im applying for such a job, and im very excited. Still my ego gets something out of it, but i wont judge myself for that :)

So im about to learn probably the most important lesson in my life :)

Thanks for listening,
    Phil

Edit: wrong subforum, sorry :(

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  2. writingupastorm

writingupastorm Member

That sounds like it would be a very good learning experience. When I was a teenager I spent some time helping the homeless. I became a better person from it.

3. Panthau

Panthau Member

Yep, at least it broadens your awareness! :)

4. olmate

olmate Member

Hi Phil,

If I may share a small story of an experience with you with the floods we experienced in this part of the world in January this year. It reminded me in a strong way of the power of presence.

I along with many others in the community volunteered to help those in need. That help was to be in a wide range of forms. Everything from assisting with the clean up effort, supporting relief workers and (as I profoundly encountered) just being present for those that were in need.

I vividly recall being greeted with a burst of gratitude from people I encountered by just showing up. I felt appreciated but at the same time somewhat guilty because I hadn't really done anything yet.

Reflecting, it became clear to me that Presence is a noun, not a verb. It is a state of being, not doing. It seemed in this culture that states of being are not as highly valued as doing. Yet in that time of need for so many, it was obvious to me that being was in many cases as important and perhaps even more important than getting busy and doing stuff.

So I for one would encourage you to go and just be there, if that is what is calling you. What happens beyond that will manifest in its own time and own way. But the first step is to be present. The act of just showing up and being available is in itself so powerful and for many, so important.

As always, nothing but the best...

Olmate

5. Panthau

Panthau Member

Of course olmate, just being present is the greatest gift, as it is spreading selflove. And i guess, it is what is most needed there... to be able to just be here and listen. Yup, thats where its drawing me at the moment, even if the thought to give without expecting is a slightly illusion, as i obviousely do it for my personal evolution. At least its a way where more people then me alone do benefit :)

In times of great despair, it seems like people drop their ego for the recovery of all. Its great to watch, and i could imagine that it was a special time of learning for everyone. Im sure people benefitet greatly from your presence. :)

6. olmate

olmate Member

Thanks Phil for your kind comments. It is easy to be hard on ourselves. For my part I find I can be an easy target and hard to resist. But when I lighten up and not take myself too seriously, then energy flows unabated.

Nothing but the best...

olmate