1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

New Member - Bit confused

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by MH, Jul 8, 2009.

1. MH

MH Member

Hi I have started using Lifeflow 10 and it has helped me sleep better but I have not had the life-changing experience some people have. As I have never meditated before I thought I may be doing it wrong. I try to say a mantra but I soon slip from this itno random thoughts do I let these happen or try to empty my brain? Could any one tell me what fast track is and how I down load it as it may answer my many questions?

2. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi there MH and welcome to the community. Good to hear that LifeFlow has helped you to sleep better and you are right, the fast-track will be of great help to you. Click on the fast track to success at the top left of the community.

Discover Meditation (the free course) is so simple to follow and invaluable as Michael explains everything very clearly for you. I wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)

3. Edwin

Edwin Member

Sounds to me like you are doing it right. The only thing you don't have to do, is try to empty your brain.

Your thoughts cannot be stopped. They come up, and you can only recognise them after they have occurred. It is not like you can say" the coming 5 minutes, I refuse to think about a pink elephant ".
    Even if you were to succeed in that, a purple hippo might peek around the corner ;) For me that was a good reason to stop drinking alcohol ( kidding )

So, once you recognise that your thoughts will come up and there is nothing you can do about that, you also understand that there is no action you have to take. Just simply observe the thought that comes up. That is what meditation is about, to slowly come to recognise that you don't have to react to every thought that comes up. In the free meditation course made by Michael he uses an analogy of clouds. When you look at the sky, clouds may come by. They seem to appear, come by, and disappear, and there is nothing you have to do with them.

Someone once told me this analogy that kind of says the same.
    Us people say that we are thinking. It sounds like a verb. Something that we are actively doing.
    Yet, as I just demonstrated, thoughts come up all by themselves. You don't have to do anything, they come and go by themselves.

Looking at the cloud analogy, if you were to ly down on a sunny meadow, look at the clouds, you wouldn't say that you were "clouding".

You are just observing the clouds. It is not a verb.

So, once you have started meditating, your mind will fill itself with thoughts. Don't worry, this means you are meditating right. It is supposed to happen.

You don't have to do anything, just observe them. Notice that you have entered a daydream and find yourself actively involved in it instead of observing ?
    Don't beat yourself up about it. Every starting meditator had to go through this ( me included ). Go easy on yourself. Be happy that you noticed you were daydreaming, and gently return to your mantra.
    If you keep doing this, keep returning to your mantra peacefully, at some point the mind will understand that it can throw thoughts at you all he wants, but you will keep trying to meditate.
    And only at that point will the thoughts coming at you become less. When this will happen, nobody knows, but it has happened to all long time meditators here.

There are 10 levels, you are at the first. Take some time. Changes in your mind are allready taking place, without you noticing it. When those life-changing moments come, they will also go again. Treat them the same way as you would treat a thought. Watch them come up, watch them go again. It is not why you wanted to meditate in the first place, it is just side-effects.

Allow yourself some time. Keep meditating, and in 6 months, you will suddenly notice that you are a completely new MH compared to the past. Not everybody goes through these changes in chunks. Pollyanna for instance, has had only peacefull, and graduate changes. Yet she is infinately more beautiful than she was a year ago. I know because I have seen her change.:cool:

4. GilesC

GilesC Member

I agree with all the above.

With practice you will become aware when the thoughts are arising and the mantra has gone. Use this as your trigger to invite your mantra back.

Hugs

Giles

5. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

Some people have no experiences worth talking about for a long time. Some people have amazing experiences early on but then these fade for a time. Some few even have unpleasant experiences, but these too pass. And some have amazing experiences and continue to have amazing experiences over and over. I guess those are lucky, but they all end up in the same place as those who just carried on meditating anyway. It is not a sign from some higher being as to whether or not you should be meditating. If you exercise your body, your body will change. If you exercise your mind, your mind will change. This can not be avoided.

Emptying the brain of all thought is great fun. I do it sometimes. But it is not something most people can do at the start, and it is not necessary. In fact, it can even be a distraction. When you notice that you are following thoughts, just return to your anchor as if nothing had happened. Please do not be angry or sad or ashamed when you find that you have followed thoughts. All these feelings are distractions. Just return to your mantra, icon or whatever anchor you have chosen.

6. Ylmz

Ylmz Member

You cant do it wrong.

Belive me if u just set u headphones on, and say ur mantra whit every out breath. U just simply cant do it wrong. When u get awer that u have stoped saying u mantra, that just means that one progress is done, and now u can get into a new one by just doing u mantra until u get into the next proses. u c, the way i look at meditation is, that even it looks like we are doing one "session" at the time, we are doing multipel, in real we beliv we are doing one meditation during one fx. 40 min session, but in truth we are doing more then one. som are longer then others, and the prosesses get even complicated when we keep doing them, and the benefits even greater. so my advice is very simpel and basic. do what ever u fell like u wana do, and there is no wrongs when u first get in to meditation it becomes aotumatic. and when u are not awer of u are in meditation, then u are in meditation and some times, the nutshell have to break befor u get to the real deal. so keep doing it and u will discover. i think it have to do whit how much we are ready to meditation that decid the speed of the progres.
    keep a open minde.

my best wishes and good luck. Ylmz

7. MH

MH Member

Thank you everyone for your replies much appreciated. Will continue as I am doing feeling a lot more confident.