1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Need Clarification: New to Meditation

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by DetunedRadio, Dec 15, 2013.

1. DetunedRadio

DetunedRadio New Member

Hello,

My objective with meditation is to it initially keep a silent steady-mind before I start adapting more advanced techniques. I have several questions that I hope I can receive assistance with. I will try to keep the list short:

• I am aware that you are required to hold an "observer" attitude when experiencing incoming thoughts, and gently push them to the side. However, when meditating, sometimes extremely offensive thoughts or imagery pop up that disturb the flow of meditation, how do you deal with this?
    • Sometimes I find myself drifting in and out of consciousness. Is this meant to happen, or must I stay aware at all times?
    • One time I experienced a relaxing vibration in my head, what was it?
    • Any other advice you want to share with a beginner?

I appreciate the time you took reading this, and I hope to hear your feedback!

- DetunedRadio

2. olmate

olmate Member

Hi,

The daily practice of meditation can be a real side show sometimes. What I have come to learn is to expect nothing. I am not sure that a "successful" mediation exists as I am of the view that it is an absolute thing - it is what it is.

I have found that when I suspend any expectation as I sit silently and in stillness, my focus is just on being here now.

Your mind will be akin to a circus troupe marching by - well it can be for me - but I just let it march on by, without judgement, without expectation. One of the inspirations for me is trees. I just love they way they just "sit and be". Storms come and go, winds blow on through, just like lots of stuff in life. But through it all, they just sit and be. That is one of my role models.

Finally, I would encourage you to be persistent, courageous and just walk your path. With regular practice, you will see panoramas beyond your wildest imagination. Enjoy your journey.

Don

3. GilesC

GilesC Member

No need to push thoughts aside, as that means you've attached to them and you are placing focus on them individually. Observing thoughts is really simply that, just observing them come and go without getting attached to what they are. If you are observing thoughts and consider them offensive, then you are attached to it, as it is the mind that is judging the thought and to do that it must first attach to it. Consider that the 'offensive' feeling is also just another thought, so simply let it be and let it pass.

It's not uncommon for people to fall asleep when meditating, though it's more common if people meditate in a position that allows the body to naturally feel as though it's supported for sleep, such as lying down or sitting in a big comfy chair with your head supported. If possible, try and use a chair that is comfortable to sit on, yet allows you to sit upright so that the spine supports the body and head (it's ok to have support on the lower back if you need), and then any indication that your body is starting to fall asleep will be noticable and allow you to bring yourself back to awareness.

During meditation we can experience many things, but the key to meditation is not to become attached to them or try and give them meaning. If the thought or sensation/experience is important then you will be able to recall it when you finish your meditation, and then you can consider what it means then. For thoughts/daydreams etc. the best way to interpret these is to consider what they mean for you in your own understanding; avoiding looking these things up in 'dream analysis' books or asking others on the internet. Lots of people give common associations to things, but the truth is that different observations will have different meanings to different people. In terms of vibrations, many would relate such things to a shift in your energy as you meditate and, depending on your beliefs and understanding of these things, it could be seen as a healing energy, or in some understandings it can be seen as kundalini rising.

Any specific questions, I'll be happy to offer my knowledge if I can.

Hugs

Giles