1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Divinitywolf, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Divinitywolf

Divinitywolf Member

If you're wondering about the title, this is a buddhist chant i discovered.
    It has a wonderful sound when its chanted and has been used by millions of people.
    I've only just discovered it but apparently it gives many benefits similar to meditation such as happiness, good health and wisdom.
    I may start chanting it regularly and see if, combined with lifeflow, it increases my life positively even more.

I've found some sites where you can read up on it if you're interested.
    What is NAM-MYOHO-RENGE-KYO?
    How to chant NAM-MYOHO-RENGE-KYO - Home Page

And there are also several youtube videos where, although most don't explain much, the chanting sounds are very relaxing.
    YouTube - Nam Myoho Renge Kyo - Ancient Chants, Blissful Grooves
    YouTube - Power Of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

And most of you should have heard of Tina Turner. Here is a video of her admitting her conversion to buddhism and doing the Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo chant along with some other very complicated ones that sound very impressive!
    YouTube - Tina Turner Chanting

I hope some of you find this interesting and may even benefit from it.

Divinitywolf

2. Graham

Graham Member

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

What you learn on this site is fascinating.I`m all for it!
    Thank you Divinity Wolf,I`m off to chant.

3. Divinitywolf

Divinitywolf Member

Thats quite alright.
    I'm glad it interests you :)

4. G-Rock77

G-Rock77 Member

Hello all! I recently joined SGI and have been chanting for a few months. When my partner and I chant at home, we play LifeFlow in the background. My partner sometimes has visions that she believes are brought on by the LifeFlow, and I have had multiple items of serious emotional baggage resolve themselves during such chanting. We love chanting and LifeFlow and will definitely continue to use it while chanting. Has anyone else had any experiences with this?
    By the way, the additional chanting that Tina Turner does on the Larry King clip is the second chapter of the Lotus Sutra. She can really fly through it, eh?

5. Alan Groves

Alan Groves Member

Hello All

I have been chanting for about 6 years with the SGI - I received Gohonzon in 2004. I can honestly say that it is the best thing I ever started doing! And highly recomend it to anyone - I have also highly recomended LifeFlow to fellow members.

Hi G-Rock77 - not sure where in the world you and your partner are but hope you both are enjoying the SGI, Chanting and Lifeflow.

THe passage from the Lotus Sutra that Tina chants is part of the 16th (Juryo) chapter - this is the second recitation from the Lotus Sutra used when chanting - the first being from the Hoben Chapter.

the link below is to a podcast from the UK but goes globally - it's free to download and I highly recomend this also - The Guy who presents the podcast (Jason Jarret) is a very genuine, open and honest guy, who I have the utmost respect for.
    Anyway, please give it a go - If you have a basis in Nichiren Buddhism you may well be enthrawled!!

A Buddhist Podcast

6. Divinitywolf

Divinitywolf Member

Thanks for sharing the link. I found it very interesting and hadn't heard of that podcast before. Its good that people from the UK are spreading buddhism through a simple podcast.
    I may also start chanting more as it really interests me that silent meditation and meditation with chanting are such different methods that can have similar effects.

7. Alan Groves

Alan Groves Member

Hi Divinitywolf
    No problem you are very welcome. If you look into the history pages of the podcast you will see that there is the book -A Reluctant Buddhist- which is now on Chapter 10 - All the previous chapters are in the history with lots of other stuff. This book is by a guy you may remember (depending on your age!) called William Woolard. He used to present the Tomorrows World science programme on UK TV amongst a few other things. His book is an excellent start point for anyone interested is Buddhism, particularly Nichiren Buddhism. He reads it out chapter by chapter.

Chanting Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo is more dynamic/active than meditation, Meditation is passive. I think these a both sides of a wonderful coin and that they compliment each other perfectly. personal Schedule is that I wake up early and listen to LifeFlow, then I do morning Gongyo (recite the 2 chatpers from the Lotus Sutra, Chant, Prayers) then in the evening I do evening Gongyo.
    I have tried chanting whilst having LF play on speakers, like G-Rock77 and his partner enjoy, but found that I could not focus on my Gohonzon and kept wanting to close my eyes. I have also tried playing LF in headphones whilst chanting but this is odd!
    I often use Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo as a mantra in my morning LF meditation session and find this works well. Hope you continue to enjoy the practice, there will be a group in your area for sure!

8. Coenrad Morgan

Coenrad Morgan Member

Wolfman, THANK YOU for this post.

It is the exposure to Buddhism and the tenant that through cultivating ones mind through meditation that one can finally break free from suffering and find some purpose in the seemingly pointless procession of Birth, Aging,illness, Death.

It is this spark that lead me to Meditation and in so doing to Life Flow, after so long this post reminded me how I got here in the first place and what I aimed to achieve. ALAN THANK YOU for adding to the information here, if possible, would you contact me via the details in my profile, I would like to clarify some SGI related bits that would probably not be appropriate to discuss in the forum?

To you all THANK YOU

9. Panthau

Panthau Member

Interesting, thanks :)

10. Alan Groves

Alan Groves Member

Everybody is very welcome, this community is full with wonderful people, from all over the globe, searching in their own way for happiness.

Hi Coenrad, I have contacted you by Skype.

11. G-Rock77

G-Rock77 Member

Alan,

I have the tendency to want to close my eyes sometimes, too. Funny, I hadn't connected it to LF. The urge was strongest right after I received my Gohonzon, because prior to that, I chanted with my eyes closed when I was at home. As I got used to having it, it became easier to keep my eyes open both at meetings and when chanting in private. I've been working on visualizing what I am chanting for so that the image is superimposed on the Gohonzon. Kinda makes me squint a bit, though.

As for chanting with headphones, I prefer them, but of course can only do so when chanting alone. If my partner is present, we have to use speakers, as we don't have a splitter for the headphone jack. It's just as well, I guess, because I've found that wearing headphones causes me to chant louder, and the wall that our altar is on borders the neighboring apartment and is near our front door. I don't know what my neighbor thinks of it, as I'm certain she's heard us, but we try not to be too loud to avoid disturbing her.

We are loving the practice and studying, and have a wonderful group here in the Baltimore area. I'm very glad to have cyber-met you all, and I appreciate having someone to talk about chanting and using LF together. I told one of my area leaders about it, and while she didn't tell me not to use them together, she said I would find as I got more experienced that we wouldn't need to use LF while chanting. We don't *need* it now, it's something we like to do to increase our benefits, but I don't think she fully understood what LF is.

Cheers,

G-Rock77

12. Alan Groves

Alan Groves Member

Hi G-Rock77

I think you are right about area leaders not understanding what LF is - I have had a similar experience when asking my old district (area) leader in the UK about using them both together.
    I was advised not to use any type of music etc that adds to distraction away from the Gohonzon.
    My personal opinion is that I'm not sure chanting with headphones infront of Gohonzon is a good idea - for me I think that would definately be distracting, however, I think as background music, over speakers I think would be OK.
    But the thing about leaders is, that is why they are leaders - they usually have a deeper level of understanding or are more adapt in guiding people than ourselves.

Although I was a little disapointed to hear this advise from my old district leader, as I thought - WOW magic!!! combining these 2 together will be great AND save me time - I can do a 40 minute gongyo twice a day and have Lifeflow playing at the same time - I also respect the fact the my leader has been practicing for 22 years in comparrison to my 6 years and every other single piece of advice or guidance I have received from him has been spot on. So therefore I do not use LF during Gongyo.
    My current leader (UK Guy) in Bangkok, I am going to see during February and will take the LF sample with me and play it to him along with explaining a bit about LF to see what he says.
    Maybe a good idea to discuss more with your area leader again and let them try out Gongyo with LF to see what they think about using them together (would still go for the speaker option with them and not the headphone.- I could possibly envisage Nichiren or Daisaku Ikeda chanting with LF playing in the background, but not wearing headphones!!)

I am so glad you and your partner are loving the practice and I hear there are some wonderous groups in the US. This is fantastic.

Take Care