1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

My Progress With LifeFlow

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Scott_11:11, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Scott_11:11

Scott_11:11 Member

Hello. I figured I'd set up my own little corner where I could post how things come along with my meditation.

I'm 31, from Canada, and most of my life I've dealt with social anxiety, a general lack of confidence and self esteem and depression. At this point, without getting in to details, my life has become fairly crippled by my issues and has been for a long time.

After I saw the Secret in the spring of 07, I discovered Holosync. I looked in to it and ordered mine this past spring (08). It was alright. I does give you the sense of being in a deep meditation most of the time. But it certainly didn't change anything for me. There were no grand realizations or any of those euphoric feelings they claim.

Since I didn't have the money, nor was I going to spend it if I did, on a product that hadn't shown me anything, I just decided to try something else. I got the equivolent version of Meditation Solution. Same thing, cheaper price. I think I got hosed. The only way I could come close to getting a good meditation out of that was to lie down. I usually didn't like lying down during meditation because I'd fall asleep.

Pretty disappointed with that product I just downloaded the next level of Holosync. At least I was getting my meditation to some extent. I knew it wasn't practical to pay thousands of dollars and wait ten years with Holosync. I discovered LifeFLow soon after that. Again, no money. So while I used Holosync to hold me over, I just read through the whole forum to see what kind of experiences people were having with LifeFlow. I became pretty sold on it quickly. It all seemed very genuine.

So that gets me to here. I ordered LF10 last week (cuz i got it on sale, which I do appreciate :) ). I was excited about reading all the posts from people who said they instantly felt different. People were bringing up old emotions, rememebering traumas from childhood, were seeing lights and having feelings of euphoria and love, etc. I was hopeful to get started. All this year that I've been using various meditation / BWE products, I've never had any overwhelm, brought up issues, had any grand feelings. All I ever got was the sense that I had been sitting really still for about an hour.

So, after one week of using LF10, I can report that my experience has been ...... sitting really still for about an hour :confused: . Surely I'm just being impatient. I'm aware of that. But I was really hoping for some big breakthrough. I listened to the meditation tracks. I've tried using the mantra. Usually I'll do 40 minutes at least and usually an hour or 80 minutes. And I'll do that twice a day, so I can try it without headphones.

It's comforting to see some of the other success stories and hope that by next year, I'll be completely different. It is a bit absurd to expect results after one week. So even as I'm frustrated by it, I understand I need to be patient with it. But I am hoping to feel good soon.

I hope to regularly update this post. I read everyone's posts when I found this forum. Someone else can read mine.

2. Ras

Ras Member

hey, quick question: Did you try the "Discover meditation" curse or did you jump right into lifeflow?
    If not i *highly* recommend the discover meditation.

Having high expectations is quite natural when reading these forums, but actually the best way to gain the benefits of meditation and lifeflow is to have no expectations and an open mind each time to sit down and meditate :)

As a final note, 80 mins of meditation sounds like quite a lot? be careful not to over-meditate! I tried that before...it is not plesant at all! ;)

3. Scott_11:11

yes i did listen to the discover meditation course. i can't say i'm completely sold on the mantra. it seems more distracting. sometimes i'd rather just clear my mind. sometimes it works, sometimes not. my mind tends to wander off and create scenarios and conduct conversations with itself. i try to limit that. but at least i'm aware it's going on while it's happening. and then i'll steer away from it.

i don't always go for 80 minutes. it's just a matter of of putting my mp3 player on repeat sometimes so i get more than 40 minutes. i'm used to doing an hour. perhaps i should stick with 40 though.

and generally i don't have too much expectation when i meditate. as i said, i know i'm being impatient.

4. Grey

Grey Member

also keep in mind your life did not get to where it is at right now in a few days or weeks or even years. in the book Healing Meditations Tulku Thondup of the Tibetan Buddhist tradition says the greatest reason people fail to experience healing and change from the practice of meditation is because they expect instant gratification. when they do not get that they quickly become discouraged and decide meditation is not working and move on to something else. he emphasizes that in the beginning most people experience very small changes that they hardly even notice. in time these grow like a snowball but because the process is so gradual most people have given up and moved along to the next thing before ever realizing any progress was taking place.

meditation with or without entrainment as an aid is not and instant quick fix. it is or should be a life long habit.

5. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

I've been going through a little of what you speak of this week, ie: the sitting still for the period. It has actually happened 3 days in a row.
    I have been meditating for years and LF seemed to jar me loose from where I was and take me to another level. Now I realize when I get to this place where I'm setting out a meditation session; I know it is only for one reason. I am SITTING on something uncomfortable and LF is about to shake it loose. I know this because I keep noticing tight spots here and there and I loosen them up. Subconsciously I am fighting something. I never know how long this will go on because the length of time is never constant. . . So I set.
    Like Grey pointed out; patience is key in meditation. You never know what to expect. Anymore I never expect anything which puts me in a position to be greatful for anything. Maybe it is just the opportunity to be in the silence for 40 minutes.
    Give LifeFlow 10 a solid chance at 60 days; I bet this thread will have a much livelier tone.

Thanks,
    gus

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  6. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

Hi Scott. It's nice to see a fellow Canadian join the forum. Welcome. :)

I give you great credit for pursuing meditation so diligently and looking for solutions to your issues. I understand when there's suffering how much you can long to move beyond the pain as soon as possible. I've felt that way when a difficult period comes into my life.

Unfortunately we don't get to choose what arises in meditation or how quickly we pass through uncomfortable emotional states. Since you've read through the forum, you've undoubtedly heard of Eckhart Tolle. I would heartily recommend reading The Power of Now if you haven't already because he gives lots of pointers. And of course there's lots of other books as well, not to mention utube.

As for how long to meditate, many sages recommend shorter periods initially because after 20 or 30 minutes it's easy to get scattered. Lately I'm finding I automatically stop after 25 - 30 minutes at which point I do my gratitudes and send healing. I try and do that twice a day and I'm finding it very fulfilling. Mind you, I don't expect phenomena (lights, etc..) when I meditate, nor do I look for that. I see my time on my cushion as a way to connect to the divine which I feel most strongly in my heart center. One way that was given to me was to repeat, "I am Love" as a mantra which is a real heart-opener. And when I do use a mantra, I say it often at the beginning as a reminder, and then less often if and when my focus starts to waver. It's good to play with different ways and see what works.

Maybe instead of meditating for such long periods you could consider doing other spiritual practices like yoga or Tai Chi, doing selfless service (karma yoga) and reading spiritual books. All these nourish and support you and help to make meditation itself easier.

Just keep at it and you'll be surprised when you look back over a year how things will have improved for you! :)

Bhavya

7. Scott_11:11

Thanks for the supportive words folks. It comes and goes. It's a crappy time of year to get lost in your head. The world will be better when I can see the sun again.

8. Scott_11:11

So it's been 2 weeks now and everything is moving along as it has. Most of my sessions come and go. Nothing particularly remarkable. I did have a session the other night where my mind got so quiet that I just decided to sit for an extra 10 or so minutes after the track ended just because I could. That doesn't usually happen though. A lot of the time I'll have to remind myself to quiet down. I don't remember that being such an issue when I used Holosync. I have noticed that my mind tends to like to think up various scenarios in order to carry on conversations. Then I have to catch myself and put it aside. Most likely a sign that I don't live in the present very well. Perhaps a busy mind in itself is a sign of things being stirred up. I've decided to just stick to 40 minutes rather than reaching for an hour. It lessens the chance of getting bored. If my mind doesn't stay clear, then I remain aware of time passing and then it starts dragging on.

9. Grey

Grey Member

i agree with something Bhavya said. just because the life flow track runs 40 or 60 minutes does not mean you have to try to meditate for its entire length. From many many comments on this site it seems lots of people think they are not "doing it right" if they do not meditate the entire length of a life flow track.

TM recommends only a 20 minute session when beginning. others suggest even less time to start off until meditation sessions begin to flow. then time can be extended.

think of exercise. Ten pushups done with correct form build strength and gradually enable you to work up to doing more. A hundred pushups done with improper form not only do not benefit your body they cause it harm.

gradually and gently with proper technique then increasing as your capacity to do more grows. it works for exercise and for meditation.

10. ian0204

ian0204 Member

hey scott it sounds like you may be expecting too much too soon.I must admit I was hoping for some earth shattering events to occur but nothing much seemed to happen.I am on lifeflow 8 now and I must say I have not felt inner peace like this in my life.I try meditating 15 -20 minutes each day and listen to the music at the end of the 5 minute meditation session.Stick with it and I am sure you will feel the benefits and peace of mind also.All the best on your journey.peace...Ian

11. Edwin

Edwin Member

Busy mind...

Dear Scott,

I can relate to your busy mind.
    I have had the same problem.

However first I have to tell you this:

I know that you have used different products in the past, and they didn't quite work for you. I also know that you may have expected more from LifeFlow.
    But, in principle, they are at it's best only meditation aids, something to help you with meditation.
    I don't know how long you have been meditating, but if after 2-3 months of meditation, you still don't feel anything, you will probably have used an ineffective meditation method.
    Even before I started with LifeFlow, I had been meditating for 4 months. I didn't progress as quickly as I would later on using LifeFlow, but I sure did feel benefits !

I think for you the best thing would be to go "back to the drawingboard", or in other words, leave LifeFlow lying aside for a week, and listen to the meditation course. Mantra might not be your thang, but it is considered the "bulldozer" of meditation practice. If nothing can quiet your mind and keep you on target, Mantra will.
    However the mind will always wander.
    This is the very reason why Monks need to seperate from the rest of the world. If you experience less in daily life, you will have less clutter in your mind during meditation.

But most of us lead busy life's with work, traffic, family, and all that comes with it.
    So, a busy mind is normal. Don't try to fight it ! When you accept the fact that you are not a Tibetian Monk, and allow your busy mind to be, it will probably relax anyway ;) it is the way of things in life, acceptance is very strong !

So, try meditation -the "right" way- for a week without any tool, and see if it makes much difference ( it should ). After that, try LifeFlow again.
    Or talk to us if it doesn't seem to be working, and we will help you :)

12. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

Equanimity

Hi Scott
    I too have a busy mind. When thoughts come, I just observe them with the understanding that they're not who I am. They're appearing in my space but they're not me. It doesn't matter if they're good or bad, many or few because they're just appearing and disappearing like images and words on a screen.

Observing makes me calm. I stop judging myself for having thoughts appear. I stop craving it to be different from what is. Equanimity comes, and peace. And then, miracle of miracles, the thoughts slow down! :)

When I did retreats with Goenka-ji's vipassana outfit, they emphasized equanimity as the important factor in meditation, not silence. We really don't have a choice as to what arises but we can choose how to react. By reacting with peace and acceptance, we win.

Love and blessings to you and your family on this holiday :)
    Bhavya

13. blueskygal

blueskygal Member

Scott you mentioned you have some pretty deep issues. One of the things I have been doing of late is to say the phrase "I trust my subconscious". Perhaps you don't trust yours! And that's okay.

But what you need to know about the subconscious mind is it knows EXACTLY how much to release and when. It's main job is to keep you safe and together. So if you're not having big ahah experiences don't worry.

I did holosync for 1.5 years and did not expect anything more than a good sleep! i had real issues with sleeping and was grateful for the rest. But gradually over time things happened - and I noticed that my mind became free of negative rants and that I was able to "see" myself doing behaviors which then gave me a choice on how to handle them.

It is human to want the progress now - but your inner wisdom knows the right pace even though your conscious mind may be impatient with that.

Hope this helps.

14. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

blueskygal,
    You said a mouthful here. Good on ya'!

gus

15. Scott_11:11

So It's been 6 weeks or so with LF10. I've stuck to meditating pretty much every day, though I missed a few over the holidays. I'll generally do it a couple times a day trying to alternate headphones and not. I tried Edwin's advice to go back to Discover Meditation. There really is nothing to it. Sit still, close your eyes, breathe and keep repeating a word in your head. I still feel as though I must be missing something. I have still not had any overwhelm or insights or had any old memories or emotions come up. I suppose it's not necessary that any of that happen, but that seems to be what others are reporting to happen to them. So if none of that is happening, I question whether I'm releasing anything. Sometimes the session will drag on. Occasionally I'll have a good session where my mind will be so calm and empty. Sometimes I'll get certain sensations in my head. I'll get a pulsing somewhere. There will be a throbbing in my forehead. Today I got a certain sensation over my throat. It's interesting when it happens but I don't put a lot of thought in to it. I'll usually wonder if it's the meditation or just the effects of my body not moving for 40 minutes. It can be tricky when it happens, because when it does happen, I'll notice it, and my mind will try to focus on it, which makes it go away. So when I get those sensations, I have to try to keep my mind from focusing on it to let it continue.

I'll start LF9 in a couple weeks, and then we'll see if there's any difference in my meditations. I've considered that maybe there's just nothing to release at LF10. I tried the mantra. And I tried someone else's idea of 6 second inhale/exhale. Even if I say the mantra, it just becomes background noise while my mind wanders anyways. So I tend to like using the statement "right here. right now". I suppose it makes a better mantra to keep me present.

16. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Scott, been reading through this thread and a couple of thoughts came to mind. I've always found the gratitude exercise to be really beneficial - maybe because if I am in a state of appreciation for everything in my life it is easier for me to totally surrender, relax and accept.

Also, in the beginning I used to always say my mantra to the rythm of my breathing and found it hard to stop this. Then I would think my mantra and instead of constantly, consciously thinking it, I would listen quietly for it's echo coming back to me and this helped me to not focus on my thoughts.

Peace and joy :) :) :)

17. Edwin

Edwin Member

Meditation and expectations

Dear Scott,

I have some questions for you:

- What is the reason you started meditation ?

- Could you please describe for me what you expect to happen when doing meditation ?

- When do you think of your meditation session as a successfull one ?

- When do you think the session failed ?

Some misconceptions of LifeFlow and meditation ( generally speaking, not directed to you personally Scott ) :

What I notice with a lot of people is that they expect "miracles" from LifeFlow.
    There are even those who think LifeFlow works without meditation.

LifeFlow is nothing more than a tool that can and will aid you with your meditation. When meditation is done consistantly, even without LifeFlow, for a longer period of time, all the benefits that Michael speaks of:

Meditation Is Scientifically Proven To:

* Decrease Stress / Anxiety
    * Cure Phobias & Obsessive Thoughts
    * Rejuvenate Your Confidence
    * Relieve Feelings Of Depression
    * Improve Concentration & Focus
    * Increase Motivation
    * Heal Addictive Traits
    * Experience Improved Relationships
    * Solve Many Sleep Problems
    * Help People Who Suffer Panic Attacks

will eventually come to you.
    It is the effect that meditation has on our bodies and mind.

Paul Wilson, a meditation teacher also referred to as the "guru of Calm", answered a FAQ on his website like this:

Q: How do you know if it's been a good meditation?

A: The fact that you did it makes it a good meditation.

As he explains, every meditation session is different, just as every day is different, every minute, every second. We only re-live the past in our minds. How can something that happened a day ago be the same today ? It can't, because today is different !
    The biggest killer for everything we experience is expectation. All the different Law of Attraction guru's say the same basically: You attract whatever you think about !
    If you enter your next meditation knowing that it can't be the same from your previous experiences, and try to only have a certain curiosity towards what you might encounter, without any expectation what so ever, nor past ( it will probably still not work for me ) nor future ( hopefully all those things from the forum will finally happen to me too ), you will probably finally really relax. Try to only make your meditation session as your goal, and as soon as you are doing it, you can be glad that you made your goal, meditating today.
    For us, not being born in the East, this takes some getting used to. We are accustomed to having a goal. We want to work towards that.
    Meditation is not supposed to have a goal, but because that is almost impossible in our culture, try to only make the meditation itself a goal. Meditation is the goal.

That's it ! Nothing more ! Your goal is to meditate !

Now, back to LifeFlow.
    LifeFlow is a scientific system of entrainment that will speed up the meditation process. For some, especially those who have a lot on their mind, in their mind, or emotional baggage, the speeding up of the process can lead to sudden moments of release, in all their weird forms. There has even been one on this forum that experienced weird agressive-like yawns ! Even this was a manifestation of the body trying to release an emotion.

Michael also has something to say about these experiences:

Myths

Don't get drawn into the trap of trying to understand every twitch, itch or fuzzy swirl you feel you experience when meditating with LifeFlow entrainment tracks. Some people say they feel dizzy, depressed, euphoric, their hands feels hot, their feet feel cold, they were transported out of body, they feel like they're floating, they feel like they're sinking...

You will never come to the end of the list of things people say they experience. Truth be told, a tremendous number of these experiences are simply the result of expectations.

A guiding principle always to be kept firmly in mind is that LifeFlow is not causing the brain to experience any brainwave state outside of its natural capabilities. And for the states of Beta, Alpha, Theta and Delta, these four states are experienced by every one of us virtually every day many, many times.

Every night when you lay down to sleep you begin in Beta and descend through all the states down to Delta then come back up again and repeat this whole cycle every 60 to 90 minutes. All each LifeFlow brainwave entrainment track does is encourage the brain to produce the exact same natural frequencies it is going to produce as you sleep. So whether you use a LifeFlow entrainment track today or not, at some point you are going to go into those brainwave states all on your own, and you're going to do it multiple times.

The difference between using entrainment versus simply going to sleep is that during entrainment you remain conscious whereas during sleep you allow conscious awareness to fade away. And because you release it you are not aware of any feelings that might arise as the various brainwave states develop. During entrainment you remain aware and you recognize feelings and perhaps even a few physical sensations that have always been there but that you were not aware of because the conscious mind was sleeping.

This is very similar to having feelings, thoughts and even physical sensations arise during meditation. It isn't that the meditative state "produced" these things. It simply allowed them to rise to the surface unimpeded by the normal thinking mind, but while awareness is still high. So the experiences that have been simmering down in our depths "seem" to appear because of meditation. But we know those experiences were always there. We were just too preoccupied or too unconscious to notice them before.

Other people, like you, ( and me from LF10 down to LF8 ) experienced nothing special or weird. That is, for me until I hit LF7.

It might happen for you when you go to LF9, or LF 3, or LF 1, or not at all.

Either way should be fine, because ( remember ) your only goal is to meditate !

18. Scott_11:11

Hey Edwin. I've replied to your post twice and it has failed to go through both times. So I'm a little too pissed off to try it a third time at the moment. I'll wait for a while so I don't end up slamming my laptop on the floor. Be Well.

19. Edwin

Edwin Member

LOL ! I know how that feels, nowadays when I make long posts I do them in Windows notepad.

20. Scott_11:11

Ok then

- What is the reason you started meditation ?
    to eliminate anxieties, fears and depression, stop negative thought patterns and sabotaging behaviors, increase awareness, presence, confidence and inner peace.

- Could you please describe for me what you expect to happen when doing meditation ?
    during an individual session, I don’t know that I really have expectations for what is supposed to happen. I know that there are no guaranteed experiences during any meditation and that you can’t judge a session by any experience you have. However, I do look at the cumulative effect of my meditations over a period of time. So both the 6 weeks I’ve been on LifeFlow and the 8 months or so I was on Holosync. The only thing I can hope that happens, over a period of time, are all the claims the companies make, as well as, looking at all the claims made by others in the forums. Everyone’s different of course and I have considered that there may not be any issues to clear at LF10 and I may have to wait til deeper levels.

- When do you think of your meditation session as a successfull one ?
    I think they’re all successful as individual sessions. I don’t think you can really fail. You can have a poor session or a great session, depending on your method, but it’s probably all good. As I said, I’m looking at the combined effect of the meditation over a period of time to determine whether I believe I’m progressing in my issues.

* Decrease Stress / Anxiety
    * Cure Phobias & Obsessive Thoughts
    * Rejuvenate Your Confidence
    * Relieve Feelings Of Depression
    * Improve Concentration & Focus
    * Increase Motivation
    * Heal Addictive Traits
    * Experience Improved Relationships
    * Help People Who Suffer Panic Attacks

I’ll be happy to take all of those. I haven’t noticed any change in any of those issues, but that’s the plan.

I’m not looking for miracles, but I do think it’s reasonable to look at other people’s experiences and claims and use them as a very general map of things that I could be experiencing and if not, perhaps look at why not.

I’m like a kid in the backseat asking if we’re there yet, while at the same time, being the adult driving knowing that it’ll take a while, to stop asking and enjoy the ride.