1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

My Experience So Far

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by alexalex, Apr 21, 2009.

1. alexalex

alexalex New Member

Hello to everyone on the forum,

I started meditating about 3 weeks ago. I have done online research and found lots of great info here.

I started with the mantra meditation for about a week, then started to combine it with the life flow sample.

The problem i am having when i meditate is hard to describe. When I begin, it’s fine. As I continue, about 3 minutes into it, my body starts to relax. Then I start getting this kind of anxious tingle. it’s an uncomfortable feeling- my body wants me to move. The tingling comes and goes- I have been trying to accustom myself to this and power through, but it’s not easy. This happens when I meditate sitting down, and has also happened when I try it lying down. Am i just not a good candidate for this? What is this uncomfortable feeling? Should I disrupt it with subtle movements, does that eliminate the effect of meditation? Does everyone experience this? What am I doing wrong? I am currently doing 15 minute sessions.

I would like to continue, but it’s pretty uncomfortable.

Thanks for your help

2. sage dweller

sage dweller Member

Hi alexalex. Since I, also, am a newbie, I've been watching for someone to reply. Since they haven't yet, I'll throw in my 2cents worth, hoping it may help you.

I don't get the "anxious tingle" -- at least not physically. But my mind goes crazy with a thousand different thoughts. It really annoyed me because I figured it was going to "ruin my session".

Then I remembered something I read, about regarding the anxious thoughts as passing clouds. I look at them, not wanting to push them away, nor wanting to hold them back. Just passing clouds in a blue sky. I just casually observe them floating by. Before long I find they all have drifted away and I am totally into the sounds coming from the headphones.

I don't feel threatened or controlled. I simply casually notice them as a detached observer. Try the cloud thing with the anxious tingle. It may help.

3. sage dweller

sage dweller Member

alex, I just found a thread for you. Please go to "Scared of Totally Letting Go"

4. Inedible

Inedible Member

A way to define mindfulness is, watch what you are doing while you do it. If you do something mindfully, you tend to do it more slowly and carefully. You do not rush through it. When you meditate and you feel you must move, keep your eyes closed and decide in advance how you will change position. Then very mindfully, allow yourself to move until you feel better, and settle back into your regular meditation position. Do it as often as you choose. The point is to choose when you will give in to the impulse and how, so that it is just part of your process. And to answer your question, actually (in my opinion) it shows that you have a lot of potential for meditation - usually it takes a lot longer to meet with serious resistance.

5. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

Alexalex,
    Many of us here can relate to what you describe. It doesn't have to be; but I believe what you describe is a feeling of resistance to feelings or experiences that are trying to surface. If you keep on you will eventually work through this. When it happens remember to try to watch the thoughts and memories of past experiences from an objective point of view. They have already happened so they can no longer really affect you.

Blessings,
    gus

6. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

Hi Alexalex
    There are times when I've experienced what you're describing. The only thing I would add to the above is to decide ahead of time how long you're going to sit and, as you said, power through. Make it a meditation of strong determination when you just observe yourself with interest and non attachment. Be the witness, almost as if you were watching someone else... an "I wonder what my body will do next.." attitude.
    As others said, it's our resistance. :rolleyes:

This too will pass. :)
    Bhavya

7. jeanie

jeanie Member

Hi Alexalex,

I got the same experience when i first started meditating and posted it.

My way of expressing it was it was a tingling sensation that would travel over my body and head it made me anxious and i used to stop meditating abruptly coz it got overwhelming. I started to meditate to help with anxiety so i am prone to be a worrier.

I think i have learned to just relax with it....let it wash over me and not focus on it or think its anything wrong. I got great advice here saying that i should focus on clearing my mind when meditating and not on the physical sensations of my body if you know what i mean. For me it was the fear of it that was worse but once i got over that it hasn't been a issue.

I dont think we're doing anything wrong its just the way we as individuals experience things and nothing to worry about.

Hope this helps

:)