1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Music for the mind? - Uplifting, motivational and relaxing?

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by Mr Monkey, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Mr Monkey

Mr Monkey Member

Hi All,

I’ve been thinking about posting something like this for a while, as the forum is pretty quiet I thought I’d throw it in the ring. Being a curious sort of person I’ve been wondering what sort of music people enjoyed on this forum to stay in a positive state of mind - be that to keep spirits up, get motivated or simply relax.

I think music can have a powerful effect on a person’s state of mind and I always like to learn more from other people’s experiences/knowledge so I thought it would be interesting/enjoyable to see what other people suggest, especially as the forum audience seems quite diverse. I’ve thrown a couple of ideas of my kind of thing below, hope you enjoy and I’d be interested to hear any other suggestions :)

I will add you are at risk of viewing any offensive/unpleasant comments Youtube posters have unfortunately put on. My advice is to just ignore them, but for those easily offended I’d suggest playing it safe and leaving the links alone.

Uplifting:
    YouTube - Arthur Conley - Sweet Soul Music

Youtube - THE FABULOUS ORIGINALS- It Ain't Fair But It's Fun

Motivating:
    YouTube - Jimi Hendrix - Johnny B. Goode

YouTube - Motorhead- Ace of Spades :eek:

Relaxing:
    YouTube - Relaxing Meditation Music with Inspiring Quotes - A Peaceful Moment

Takes about 60 seconds to really get going, but take you (well me anyway :rolleyes:) to a nice sunny place! :)
    YouTube - Sunday Manoa - Kawika

:)

2. downtoearth

downtoearth Member

interesting... i personally like heavier music because I am such a shy and calm person so the music I listen to expresses feelings I have problems with.

but i recently discovered a somewhat heavy band with positive lyrics, and when I listen to them it really does wonders for my spirit

check out this video, it makes me realize how happy I am when I am with my friends

YouTube - H2O - "Nothing to Prove" Bridge Nine Records

3. Midnight

Midnight Member

I am also a fan of a heavier brand of music. Not very good for being positively uplifting (in many cases) but there are many bands I listen to that are positive as well as peaceful. Being a big fan of music, I'll throw in some of my favorites.

YouTube - Cynic - The Space For This
    Cynic. Progressive Metal...if you can stand odd vocals, the instrumentals are so relaxing. And their lyrics tend to be spiritual/philosophical in nature. I saw them live, and if I remember correctly, they played clips of Eckhart Tolle in between songs

YouTube - Mulan "I'll Make a Man Out of You" (English) No intro
    I'll make a man out of you from the movie Mulan. I love the soundtrack to this movie.

YouTube - Between the Buried and Me - Viridian (Instrumental) [HD]
    Very relaxing

YouTube - The Contortionist - Axiom
    Also relaxing

A lot of Classical music is great for relaxing to as well. There is a different energy to them.

That's all for now :)

4. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Hi All

Thanks for this post :) I have just spent a very pleasurable afternoon going through old songs. My taste is wide and varied, far too many to post. Music is a big part of my life, below is a short selection

Introducing the greatest folk singer IMHO :)
    youtube.com Christy Moore - Natives

My youth was spent following this group, many fond memories
    youtube.com the clash hammersmith palais

The greatest live performer IMHO
    youtube.com bruce springsteen born to runacoustic live

On the spiritual side
    youtube.com OM Namah Shivaya - Krishna Das

Being Ex-pat English this always sends a shiver up both sides of my spine, one side patriotic :) and the other my school life :(
    youtube.com Jerusalem - The Hymn

Thats all for now folks

Peace :)

5. stefanabovetheview

stefanabovetheview Member

Great thread!
    I basicly listen to every genre existing:)

This gives me the chills:
    YouTube - Enya - China Roses

YouTube - Enya - Anywhere Is

I love listening to this when relaxing or before i take a nap:

YouTube - Zero 7 - The Pageant Of The Bizarre

For some energetic motivational music (and video):

YouTube - Cepopeye 9

YouTube - High Life Scenery - The Rocket Summer

For some hardcore stuff when im getting ready to go on a killing spree :)p):

YouTube - System Of A Down - Chop Suey!

When i just feel like chilling and relaxing, and smoking some weed once in a while:
    YouTube - Feeder - High

YouTube - Gyptian - Hold You

YouTube - Shwayze - Don't be shy [lyric]

That's all folks!

6. downtoearth

downtoearth Member

7. Edwin

Edwin Member

Depeche Mode, "Home" (Air around the Golf mix)

Saved my marriage because it taught me to be thankful instead of demanding in a time when I hadn't discovered meditation yet.

Can't seem to find it on YouTube so I will just post the lyrics here:

Home (Air 'Around The Golf' Remix) - Air Lyrics

Here is a song from the wrong side of town
    Where I'm bound to the ground by the loneliest sound
    Oh that pounds from within and is pinning me down

Here is a page from the emptiest stage
    A cage or the heaviest cross ever made
    A gage of the deadliest trap ever laid

And I thank you for bringing me here
    For showing me home
    For singing these tears
    Finally I've found that I belong here

The heat and the sickliest sweet smelling sheets
    That cling to the backs of my knees and my feet
    Well I'm drowning in time to a desperate beat

For showing me home
    For singing these tears
    Finally I've found that I belong
    Feels like home
    I should have known from my first breath

God send the only true friend I call mine
    Pretend that I'll make amends the next time
    Befriend the glorious end of the line

For showing me home
    For singing these tears
    Finally I've found that I belong here

8. Midnight

Midnight Member

Indeed. The way the entire album connects together is amazing. :)

9. Kauil

Kauil Member

Okayy a music thread, good, cause I had this question about listening to different types of music.

So, with acceptance in mind, when the mind is struggling to overcome a thought/emotion it is advised to just 'go with the flow'... feel that emotion, and it will go away. Resistance being futile... you working as a tool for change is impossible, you just have to accept whatever it is, and it will be all you need to initiate the change.

So, let's say there's something buried within you, a thought you didn't know you had. You recognize within you it as an unsettling feeling, but you can't quite locate what it is. Could music help with feeling the emotion, if it's the right kind? (I'm really bad at wording my thoughts, but I hope you guys catch the drift.)

So if you're feeling, say, melancholic, should you listen to melancholic music, to access those emotions/thoughts and to find acceptance?

Or is it in any case better to try and listen to positive music, the kind that soothes you into believing "it's all right yada yada"?

Does melancholic music exist purely to meet the needs of the maker, or does it have a place in the heart of the listener?

I also find there are certain songs that are quite accessible regardless of my emotional state, Enya being one. It's weird :p

P.S. Forgot to include this: stereomood – emotional internet radio - music for my mood and activities
    It's a collection of music according to moods/emotions. I think it's good if you're trying to find new music to listen to :)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  10. Mr Monkey

Mr Monkey Member

Thanks for the responses, I’ve enjoyed listening to the different music and I’ve certainly uncovered a few more artists/songs that I think are worth exploring (and have found a good radio station to use).

I really enjoyed the following, plus I had forgotten how good Enya is:
    The Contortionist - Axiom
    OM Namah Shivaya - Krishna Das
    System Of A Down - Chop Suey!

A really positive illustration of the power of music :)

I think this is an interesting point, can music be used as a tool to help draw up and release feelings/emotions or do you risk compounding/reinforcing those feelings/emotions by listening to the music? :confused:

Ahh, yes - on a final note, there seemed to be a suggestion that my initial choices were a little ‘light’ :eek:, so in return I’ve dug out a few tunes that are a bit more pokey :D. There definitely something a bit different to what’s been already been posted but it’s the style of music I listened to during my yoof! :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tltYB4NJqC4

YouTube - tarantula

YouTube - Propellerheads - Bang On

Cheers, Paul

11. Marina_J

Marina_J Member

Music is especially helpful in relaxation and stress management. Music can help your brain get into a meditative state, which carries wonderful stress relief benefits with it. For those who find meditation intimidating, music can be an easier alternative. Music is such a great stress management tool that affects our thoughts, feelings and behaviours.

12. Border Collie

Border Collie New Member

13. Bryan555

Bryan555 Member

Geez, I guess this going to be an idiotic question. I download music all the time, and have a huge collection...but never go anywhere near YouTube. The little experience I had with it was always for videos.

So, are you guys downloading videos with the music?

I just get the music, mostly from LimeWire or FrostWire.

It seems I have missed a whole aspect of YouTube. Is there somewhere on that site that you can just download music?

Again, sorry to sound like a Luddite. Please point me in the right direction...

14. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Bryan,

No, YouTube incorporates technology to prevent stuff from being downloaded. There used to be ways of doing it, involving dodgy software that could stream the videos to a file on your computer, but YouTube have obviously worked at changing the way the web pages are written so that the links to the videos are not easily extracted from the source code of the web page and hence the dodgy software can't "read" that web page to extract them.

So, whilst some of these things are nice to watch or listen to, it's not going to be easy to get them onto a CD or whatever to listen to when you like, though you could record them via your headphone socket to a digital record or something though there's obviously going to be some loss of quality in doing that.

Best thing to do, if you like it, is to buy it from a legitimate website.

Hugs

Giles

15. Bryan555

Bryan555 Member

Ah, I see. So you click on any of these links and listen to the music, but cannot save it. Seems like a massive waste of effort...at least here in the Philippines, where the internet connection is pretty slow.

I have always been able to noodle around and find downloads. Some people worry about virus, of course, but I use Linux...which is invisible to most viruses.

Anyway, my answer to the original question: Enya! Definitely anything by Enya. She is a genius.

16. Mr Monkey

Mr Monkey Member

Hi Bryan,

As Giles mentions Youtube is in essence a video sharing (through streaming) site, but whilst it is predominantly music uploaded there are loads of other things on there too. For instance there are loads of Mooji and Eckhart Tolle videos, also loads of other stuff if you want to learn about new things. Also each track uploaded has links to similar music and I’ve found some excellent tunes I’d never heard of through these referrals. I would urge you to check YouTube out before you write it off; I’ve found it a great resource not only for music but many other things.

Also a quick Google of “Youtube Converter” showed plenty of results, but the quality of the software and legal/moral ethics of using is something that is open to debate.

Cheers, Paul

17. Bryan555

Bryan555 Member

Yes, I have one that works perfectly....at least on Ubuntu/Linux. It's called the Ant Video Downloader. It sits at the bottom of your screen, and will essentially download anything that comes into your screen -- including YouTube -- if you push the button.

A couple of weeks ago, a girl asked me to find her video on YouTube, and I was easily able to download it...albeit slowly, here in the Philippines.

I don't know about the ethics involved. It didn't actually belong to anyone. Music, I suppose, is more of a grey area.