1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Mixing types of meditation in one session, help with my "program"

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by ourson1, Jul 28, 2014.

1. ourson1

ourson1 Member

Hello everyone :)

After looking for different meditation, going back and forth between some, and trying to find how to get the best of it, I decided to try to meditate using different forms of meditation at once. Basically trying to not miss anything from it (I know it sounds ego-need-for-perfection based but I still think this might be a relevant approach). This idea especially came from the one of decreasing return, where basically the more you do one good thing, the less you get out of it. Or being said differently, the 5 first minutes of anything good will often bring more benefits than the 15 following minutes (This seems true for exercise, meditation, cold exposure etcetc)
    I figured mixing different kinds of meditation to have some benefits of each might be a good idea, so here I am, trying this for a few days :).

Here are the meditation types I focus on for now, what I'm really interested in would be if you have comments, suggestions on what type to add/remove. Off course feel free to share your own experience if you're mixing things up too !

I use :
    A body scan meditation
    A deep breathing and gratitude meditation
    A meditation on emotions
    A meditation on thoughts
    A meditation on present moment awareness/oneness with the world
    for something like 3min each for now, in a row.

Specifically, I suspect that deep breathing/gratitude meditation and emotions meditation have a lot in common, so I thought I might be able to fuse it in one by breathing deeply, focusing on chest sensations and bringing gratitude.

For the rest, I let you comment on this, If you think I should replace some meditation type by another, add another one/remove etc...

I currently meditate usually 2*15min a day sometimes more, I know some of you might tell me this isn't a lot of practise to mix things up and I might be better sticking to one or two meditation, but regardless of the fact I read this countless times, I know it fits my personnality better and I suspect I'll be able to put in more time meditating, safe in the knowledge my program isn't lacking any important meditation, and I don't have to choose between powerful techniques, doing all at once :).

Thank you ! :)

Thomas.

2. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

3. ourson1

ourson1 Member

Ok

Thank you for that link that, while informative and interesting on the subject of entrainement tracks, isn't much related to my question, and seems to be commercially oriented for us to buy entrainement. This is not much not helping me and feel like I'm being sold something. But all right, I didn't realize this forum was designed around entrainement, so my bad.

bye.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  4. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi again Thomas,

I intended the link simply to be useful to you because it explains what a state of meditation actually is, when to let go of your technique and the importance of not technique surfing. This has helped many people here who either use their own meditation technique or the free meditation course offered here. The principles of entrainment are there to help people who use entrainment with a meditation technique or on it's own.

I personally do deep breathing, autogenics, gratitude exercises and meditate both with and without entrainment and I benefit from each of these. I believe it is important to know what the state of meditation actually is for people who want to meditate.

There is a wealth of information here on both subjects and you can choose whichever you prefer. I hope this helps and wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)