1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Mind too still?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by brozen, Oct 4, 2011.

1. brozen

brozen Member

Hi all,
    Haven't posted in a while

Just wondering, has anyone ever had a problem with memory after meditating. I feel like since meditating my memory has gotten worse. I used to be a person who would have 2000 things on my mind and be juggling new thoughts and ideas all the time. Remembering past events and future things to do non stop. But now I have nothing to worry about since there is just nothing on my mind. It's not really a problem, but there are so many times when I completely forget that someone has told me something or that something has happened, even if it was just a few days ago. Takes quite a lot of reminding for me to remember.

anyway, hope to hear thoughts and experiences

thanks b

2. Hazelkay

Hazelkay Member

just wondering how old you are?:D

Happens to me all the time - but then I am getting a bit doddery now:eek:

peace and joy
    H

3. Mr Monkey

Mr Monkey Member

Hi Brozen,

Not sure that this is memory, it seems more like a mind panicking that it might forget something if it lets the thought/idea leave the conscious mind. To me memory is an ability to be able to recall an event that I haven’t thought about in a while, not keeping everything in conscious awareness.

I wondered as I read you post if this used to happen to you with the same frequency but you just didn’t notice due to all the other stuff you mind was trying to hold on to and process.

Going back to you original question, “has meditation effected my memory” – nope, not really for good or bad. Bit of a shame as I have some exams coming up :rolleyes:, but I’ve looked up some memory techniques to help me out, maybe you could have a google about to try to help remedy your names and faces issue? There might be some little trick you can use.

From my persepctive, where you are seems much nicer than where you were. It seems you have more space/peace in and around your mind at times. This is something I have found has significantly increased through meditation and is something I am very grateful for.

Paul

PS:
    Lol - Although the comment amused me I just wanted to say even if you body isn't as nimble as it once was, going on the advice/comments from you I've read on the forum, your mind is still quick (as well as kind :)).

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  4. brozen

brozen Member

I'm 22 years old so I assume no age related issues. I thought it may be because I haven't been studying or learning anything new recently. Have had a lot of time off. No job, no study(other than personal interests), therefore no real reason to have to remember/focus on anything.

This sounds like a better description of my old 'memory'. I guess I was constantly trying to recall things that I never gave my brain a chance to forget/let go of ideas.

This is a hard one to answer. I can't even recall what my memory used to be like. But this does make a lot of sense. I think I am more aware of myself and of people's reactions to me now so the problem may have been created through my increased awareness.

beh too many possibilities

You are right, I do remember that I wasn't experiencing as much peace of mind as I am today. I guess I will see how things change over time and just enjoy how things are now, rather than mulling over the endless possibilities of why.

Thanks for your responses and Good luck in your exams Mr Monkey

5. Mr Monkey

Mr Monkey Member

Thanks :), when you have a mind like mine you need all the help you can get :eek: :D

6. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

7. Mr Monkey

Mr Monkey Member

Hi Pollyanna,

Thanks for the link and good wishes :); I have been putting on Optimal Learning whilst revising so hopefully plenty is being absorbed!

Actually as a slight side effect of revision I have noticed that my mind is getting worried (repetitive thoughts like I can’t forget this, I need to learn that, what if this/that happens etc) and I get passing feelings of anxiety, but somewhere there is still a peaceful background to it. This can become quite prominent from time to time, with a relaxing feeling of “just do the revision and let what will be, be”. Learning without the worry :D

So through the revision for my courses, I seemed to have learnt (or noticed at least) something extra – a definite 'Brucey Bonus' :p