1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Mind Machines and Meditation

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by TwoPynts, May 28, 2008.

?

Have you ever used a mind machine as a meditation tool.

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    61.1%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  1. TwoPynts

TwoPynts Member

Does anyone have a mind machine that they use for their mediation?
    What are your suggestions/experiences?

2. electricsuncafe

electricsuncafe New Member

A family friend who was once from America ordered one from the states, i think they are quite expensive? She was a massouse and therapist of many kinds, mostly spiritual and mind/body things. Anyway she had one and we all had a go one evening when their family came to ours for dinner, and i was quite young, but I went upstairs and spent 20 minutes with it and it was a strange, and oddly compelling experience.

I think if I had known what to do with myself properly i could have gotten more out of it, but its a mad experience, sends you on a rollacoster of resonating tones and flashing lights, which eventually reduces you to a sort of pulsing orb...

Well, thats what i thought at the time anyway! Id definately love to give one another go.

3. TwoPynts

TwoPynts Member

They are not cheap, no, but they are an investment. I think mine cost around $300.
    Yes, they are often used for their enterainment value as they can stimulate some pretty amazing visuals during meditation. But further use and using certain programs on them can really help put you into deep meditative states more easily than if you were doing it without them.

Is using them considered cheating? Perhaps, but I find it much easier to slip into a meditative state after having used one than if I were to do it cold. Still though, like any tool, they need to be used responsibly.

4. Telar

Telar Member

I also bought one ages ago. I think I still got it somewhere in a box in the cellar. I think mine was around 300 dollar to. I never used it a lot, I found those flickering lights extremly annoying. Soon after that I bought my first Brainwave Entrainment CD´s and found them far more usefull. By now Brainwave CD´s becoming quite good, best example is Lifeflow I´d say I don´t think that those machines are really neccessary. but maybe its a matter of taste. I wouldnt buy another one, but than I still got one :). hm if that thing still works after 17 years maybe I should give it a try together with lifeflow

5. TwoPynts

TwoPynts Member

The entrainment method is similar and the goal of getting your brainwaves attuned to certain frequencies is the same. The lights are there to aid that process. I suppose you could just use the audio as well. There are ways to dim the lights but I personally enjoy the patterns they create.

Funny, some meditation cassette tapes came with my MM, and the Spring Evening program sounds a lot like the background crickets in the Lifeflow 2.0 sample.
    :D