1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Mind Chatter - Help Requested

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by soulvids, Feb 26, 2009.

1. soulvids

soulvids Member

I've been using Lifeflow since Monday. Overall, I'm new to meditation. On Monday, I experienced some things but nothing on Tuesday and Wednesday (however on Wednesday, there was a short lived blissful period during the course of the day). This morning, It felt like my mind was on a different plain of peace and inner stillness. However there was no activity/phenomina and it only lasted for a few moments. I'm assuming that this was the alpha level. Aside from that, i've been having a difficult time controlling the mind chatter which has dominated my sessions over the past few days. Can anyone suggest anything.

Also, should my primary sign of progression over the next 60 days be to extend the "peace and inner stillness" state of mind for the duration of the session, or should i actually be experiencing some kind of visions/phenomina?

2. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

Mind Chatter

The mind is like an unruly child; the only way to get along with it is to entertain it. By this I mean; let the thoughts rise to the surface and just observe them. As you observe them they will dissipate. The quietness you seek is there under the surface you just need wait till the wind dies down and the surface stills. We have all stuffed a lot of thoughts and feelings to the recesses of our minds; it takes awhile to sift through them all and find that which we truly are.
    To be sure, as you watch one thought and it slithers away another will take it's place. The mind cannot and will not be controlled. The harder you fight the more impenetrable it will become. Learn to embrace it and give it it's due and it will calm down and step aside.
    This takes much patience on your part. You will get those brief moments along the way that will tease you into continuing. Take them; for they are gifts from that part of you that is there beneath the surface of the mind waiting to be discovered.

Keep up the good work,
    gus

3. filly33

filly33 Member

Bashmaki said it perfectly. Entertain your mind. Embrace the thoughts you don't want. Watch them objectively, because only then will you be able to sift through the truths and non truths. Don't let the two extremes of right and wrong become your truth. I remember thinking when I started meditation that if I wasn't in a complete state of calm then I was doing something wrong. But that is not truth. As far as purposes go, I believe that meditation is a tool to help introduce you to yourself, the calmness of mind then comes from sitting still with your self. Fall into that space in between truth and lies where nothing is absolute but it's all yours. That's the black abyss that so many people talk about.

If you constantly look for ways to escape mind chatter then you will always be sucked back in. How do you become calm? You have to figure that out for yourself. Truth becomes something far more amazing when separated from lies. If you walk into a dark room and light a match, the darkness will flee. But can you do the opposite?

On a side note, one of the worst ways to get sucked into the lies of your ego is to let yourself hate someone else for a quality they have. Most of the time, that quality is in you, and you hate this person because you hate it in yourself. When you talk to yourself as another person, saying "if he said this to me I would say this to him", that is just a confused attempt by your ego to push yourself away. Your ego can seem very convincing, but if you look at what is happening in these situations, it is just you saying things about yourself. All that is happening is that your slapping someone elses name onto it.

Sorry, I've been ranting now. This is probably a bit much for a solution to mind chatter. I hope it helps. It's everything I've learned for myself since starting meditation. Now it's your job to see if this is truth for yourself. Have fun:p

Mitch

4. Edwin

Edwin Member

I am afraid that that assumption is cutting things a bit short.
    There is only one way to measure Alpha level brainwaves, and that is through an EEG.
    It could be more likely to reach Alpha with less mind chatter, but it could also be otherwise.
    You and me both ! I have been meditating for more than a year, and I still have mind-chatter.

However, you seem to think that your meditation was less successfull because of the mind-chatter, especially in your inability to control it.
    One of the first signs that you are meditating "correctly" if that even exists, is mind-chatter. This mind-chatter isn't different from the mind-chatter in the daytime, but only because during meditation you raise consciousness enough to notice it, well... you notice it ;)
    I would like to go into mind chatter further, Bashmaki ( or Gus as we lovingly call him here ) has gone into that very well, and I would like to add this: just try to relax a bit. Know that you are meditating the right way, or you wouldn't notice mind-chatter. You don't have to "fight against it", you have to accept it, allow it to pass by, and drift away, like clouds going along the sky.

A great analogy I once read was this one:
    Think of your awareness, or conciousness, as a person standing inside a room, with a window looking out. Outside are people ( your thoughts ) walking by. You notice them, and some of them you even remember from previous times. You might be tempted to walk out of the room and chase one of them, or call out to them to make them notice you. After that they will talk to you and you will talk back, going into the typical daydream of a memory of the fact that you forgot to iron your shirt for tomorrow, have to do that later, oh, wait, tonight John will be coming over for a visit, I might not have enough time to iron the shirt, ah well I will do it afterwords, I'll just go to bed a bit later, but that is the third time this week, I need to get more sleep, if only I .....

You get my drift. Like I said, we do this all day long.
    Only when meditating, we suddenly realise that by going outside of the room, chasing a thought, we went to another thought, and then another, and finally we realise we have strayed away from the room quite a bit.
    Now comes the hard part: Don't beat yourself up about it ! Just notice that you have left the room ( Elvis has left the building ) and return to the room, and start to look outside again at the thoughts passing by. In fact, noticing that you have a thoughtstream, and breaking it ( several times during meditation ) IS a successfull meditation.
    Wouldn't that be nice ? There even is a great chance that something will happen. As with a lot of things concerning meditation, as nice as it might seem, this is not right. It is a by-product, that can divert your attention away from meditation instead of helping you. Some people see wonderfull colours, have odd vibrations, have out of body experiences.... and want to experience it again and again. They "will" their meditations into re-living the process over and over again, and stop their growth in the process. Try to just sit still and await whatever you come across. Every meditation is unique, every day, every session. Some might resemble earlyer sessions, but they can never be the same, because they are in the past, and you are in the present moment, so YOU have changed since your last session, therefor the session will have changed as well.

Sorry for the essay, hope it helps :)

5. soulvids

soulvids Member

Thx for the reply Gus. That bit insight helps on so many levels! patience is something that's definitely lacking in my experience.

filly, with regard to observing the thoughts and accepting the truth, the mind chatter that i experience is really nothing that deep. it seems that it's sole purpose is to break my concentration. it's usually random thoughts like "do i have anything to wear today" or "i have to remember to pay this bill when i get to work" and my concentration is usually engulfed by such meaningless things. i do however find much value in your reply.

Edwin, your window analogy pretty much sums it up in a nutshell. You appear to have a lot of practical knowledge (not to imply that the other responses are not practical). Are there any "tips" that other people use to relax their mind a little more? I set my alarm an hour early for the purpose of meditation and i do it right in the bed. i was under the impression that such mental distractions would be at a minimum during that time. it almost seems like its the opposite.

6. WeeHoo

WeeHoo Member

I'm responding to the bit about trying to control your thoughts: You might as well try to control the clouds in the sky. Thoughts just come and go. You can certainly expend a lot of energy trying to control them, which (at least in my experience) is about as fruitful as trying to control a herd of cats. During meditation, I find it most helpful to just notice thoughts but not pay them too much serious attention.