1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Meeting the resistance

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by chris063, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Coenrad Morgan

Coenrad Morgan Member

Breathing EASED DUE to meditation

Hi P85,

Thank you SO MUCH for the constructive input....Chris said this a while back and its a much needed reminder as also re-enforcement of the effectiveness of this practice....since Chris started this thread, others like yourself have just added to the validity of this....I am grateful for the reminder, I constantly forget to do so. I have had a lung infection for 3 weeks or so thus the coughing and difficulty breathing have made meditation virtually something of the past, distant past, more accurately.

I opted to give meditation a go and get back into it again today despite a really rough and feverish night, during meditation it occurred to me to do some visualization, I infused my chest with light and continued my mantra.....much to my delight, my chest is clear and my breathing easy.....40 minutes to relief as apposed to 3 weeks of coughing until I had to kneel down....I'm very impressed and happy for the result, also VERY GRATEFUL!

Once again my gratitude for re-enforcing the need to practice inner body awareness and the added benefit of observing discomfort from a distant perspective....as stated before this is something I need to be reminded of as I consistently forget to try it. Fortunately in a community such as this, anything useful or valid will constantly come up again and again with additional detail and perspective, thus its not likely to remain forgotten for too long.

Most sincerely grateful
    Coenrad

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  2. lakshmi_shegar

lakshmi_shegar Member

Hi Chris,

Thanks for sharing your experience and for your advice hope people who have this problem benefit.

Regards,

3. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

Coenrad,
    Thanks for the witness of what self awareness can accomplish.
    blessings,
    gus

4. P85

P85 Member

feeling resistance

Hi Coenrad Morgan,

I am glad my story could help u.I also wanted to add to that that whenever i feel any discomfort or any bad thought while in meditation, i Try to Totally accept it, no matter how uncomfortable i feel or how horrible the thought is that slips into my mind.
    I find that whenever i come to that total acceptance (and that doesn't happen everytime:)) the feeling or thought looses it power and my attention automaticly slips to the inner body.
    It took some practice but after a while I could come more easily to that total acceptance state.
    I find it such a powerfull state to accept anything that arises,'i am in essence not those thoughts or feelings but the Awareness behind it' (A new Earth by Eckhart Tolle) 'Let life flow trough u' i found that such a great sentence.

Peace and Love,
    P85

5. Coenrad Morgan

Coenrad Morgan Member

Thanks, I'll look it up

Hi,

Thank you for that wonderful quote, I have the book, I am fighting my way towards it through a mass of other material, my only wish for the holidays and the year to come is for peace of mind and time to make a dedicated study of it.

I have tremendous trouble accepting my darker nature and have to find time to really work the Sedona Method because I tend to be my emotions as apposed to just experiencing them as something drifting through my consciousness, I am inclined to want to fix them or at least do something to change them, this leads to inner turmoil, being angry with yourself for feeling angry etc. I have difficulty understanding how you and others are able to observe "life situations or emotions" from a dispassionate observer point of view, that I think is where my work needs to be at the moment, and, and, and......:D

Once again my gratitude.
    Coenrad

6. badtrooper

badtrooper Guest

Ditto.

I've managed to meditate for the last couple of nights (although last night, I relaxed a little too much and dropped off). Visualising the hairy black dog and using Edwin's counting suggestion seems to be paying off a little, though it still ain't easy.

7. Coenrad Morgan

Coenrad Morgan Member

Hi trooper

Good to hear that your on the horse or black dog......mind giving me a run down of what the black dog method is all about?

8. chris063

chris063 Member

Hi lakshmi_shegar, thank you, I am really pleased that others are finding this thread useful, many people are posting really helpful advice and suggestions from their own experiences.

Hi P85, I haven't read New Earth, but I totally agree, that statement 'Let life flow through you' sums it all up beautifully. I still don't always recognise when I am resisting something, but as soon as I am aware I work to put myself into the position of 'observer' of the emotions. It is wonderful to be able to experience yourself as the watcher and not feel that the emotion is what you are, and I agree that it does become easier with practice. Letting life flow through sounds a great way to relax and release resistance! :)

9. P85

P85 Member

observing

Hi Conroed Morgan,

I find that I have to be very conscious to recognize that identification and to keep being concious of that process as much as i can.It takes some effort because the identification process has allot of momentum.
    For me it was a process i went/going trough, and it suddenly hit me innerly and at that moment the seperation started,and gradually there comes a gap between the identification untill there is no identification at all with emotions or thoughts.
    It is such a coincidence because i just had such an moment while watching this video of Eckhart Tolle: YouTube - Eckhart Tolle, the enormous power of YES, www.soundstrue.com.
    I am not sure if i may post this link on this forum, if not my apologese.
    In my point of view the stronger the inner resistance is the closer i am coming towards my Treu self (inner self).So the inner resistance tryes whatever it can to get my attention away from that(negative emotions/feelings or thoughts).
    I find that a forgiving state towards myself and not to beat myself up when things dont go the way i want it to go helps allot.

Peace and Love,
    P85

10. badtrooper

badtrooper Guest

what's the black dog?

Winston Churchill famously referred to his chronic depression as "his black dog". Patrick Ellverton tells his readers to give their depressive state an identity - a black dog, to make it less of an emotional concept and more of something to visualise and therefore something much easier to detach from. All through the book, he refers to the black dog sitting in the room, or on the desk, or anywhere where it's constant presence gets in the way of you doing something. He explains that it's important that while the dog might always be there, you can train it and lead it, not let it lead you.

It's an interesting idea and something I'm trying out.

Now when I'm meditating, I visualise putting the dog in the corner and walking away from it. Following on from that, I find my conscienceness pushing itself away from the dog as I work myself across the room. Now I'm pushing through a corridor of very heavy, dark grey drapes towards something that gradually becomes lighter as I go. This is a peculiar feeling because I find my mind straining to get through and see what's beyond but it feels as though my eyes are literally bulging out of my skull. At that point, I tend to mentally stand still and then try and walk forward again. This happens a few times. I don't know whether anyone else has similar experiences?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2008
  11. Jeb

Jeb Member

WOW! Great Stuff!

12. Breath

Breath Member

Coenrad: Thank you for «The peaceful warrior's way is not about invulnerability, but absolute vulnerability--to the world, to life, and to the Presence you felt. » As I meditate - although my practice is not easy at all - I get new insights about things inside. Today I say my ego surfacing, talking in public. Afterwards I could see clearly it was the ego. Then I wanted to control it. But there was something different (after 40 years of intense suffering) I saw, the awareness saw what was going on, witnessed. I stilled acted from the ego, but there was the observer. The presence could see. I was in touch with something very painful but also very tender and moving: completely vulnerable. « La manière du guerrier pacifique » = a glimpse of the «the peaceful warrior's way». He's not controlling anything, but he is not identifying anymore with the ego and its story. After what happened today I should be in pain right now, feeling so much guilt. But I am not. I believe that meditating and intense readings (Satprem, Sri Aurobindo, Finley, Tolle) are giving me the peace and the courage to move forward anyway. The ego is not something to be fought (in usual « surface » terms), it is to be welcomed, met with unconditional love. Every thought and every emotion created by it. The « guerrier pacifique » way, to move forward, to love and say an unconditional Yes to what is inside and outside. The most difficult thing I ever had to do in my live, the most valuable and courageous one. Merci à la meditation.

13. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

Man this has happened to me so many times. It is the silent witness. Only now can I overcome sometimes and back off . . . if only for a moment. The moments all begin to run together into minutes.

Thanks for putting it into words.

gus

14. Breath

Breath Member

« It is the silent witness.» I am happy you experience it too. Do you think it takes a long time of meditation to reach a point where you are in that state most of the time?

15. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

We can get it too!

It only takes as long as we're willing to let go and finally stop identifying with our minds. After connecting to the expanded Self last night meditating with LF6, my mind seemed so small in comparison.... and I saw how hungry it always is. No surprise I suppose, that's what minds do - think! ... stinking thinking, ... lofty thinking... analytical thinking. .. but I saw it in a different way so I'm hoping, one day :rolleyes:..

Mooji has said that gradually we fall so in love with Pure Consciousness, returning again and again to notice That's what we are, that ego begins to operate without our identifying with it. The Lifeforce acts through us, thoughts come and go as necessary for operating within the world, we still have a mind, but - like someone here said, we don't jump on board the train.

I saw someone 'get it' (that she is the formless) during a retreat with Mooji this fall. It was very far out. So if she could do it, so can we! YouTube - Nothing Happened - Mooji in Kripalu

BTW, welcome to the forum. I'm from Quebec too (les Cantons de l'est). :)

Bhavya

16. bashmaki

bashmaki Member

There you go; asking one of those questions again:p

Answer: Well I suppose it depends on your relationship with time and how you define . . . AHHH forget it!!!!

The real answer is : I have no clue:confused:

gus

17. chris063

chris063 Member

Hi Breath,

I think everyone's experience of this will be different. I have found a technique called 'centering' to be very useful in helping me to remain more of an 'observer' in day-to-day life. There are lots of ways of finding your own 'inner centre', the method I prefer is Eckhart Tolle's direction of placing your attention on your inner energy field. It instantly brings about a feeling of calm and peace as it temporarily removes attention from the mind...bliss!! :)

18. Breath

Breath Member

Ego is finally exposed as unreal

Bhavya, thank you so much for the YouTube link. At the end of the video we can read: « Avoid complacency. Through firm Self-Enquiry, Ego, in its myriad aspects, is finally exposed as unreal. » Exactly what I need to focus on right now. Inspiring video. (So cool you are from les cantons de l'est! Je suis de Laval :p)

Chris063: thank you for suggesting the Eckhart Tolle's method. I keep reading the Power of Now as well as A New Earth (along with mp3 Oprah’s web classes). It is of great help.

This energy field inside is real. Not the Ego. I am just at level 9 and can’t really experience anything special during meditation. I have notice that I have a tendency to become aggressive toward problems popping into my face. I wonder if it's stuff resurfacing to be dealt with for good or that I am regressing. I don’t know. But I know I will continue the everyday practice. To me it is absolutely the only way out of sufferance.

Take care!

19. filly33

filly33 Member

It's always a great idea to have total acceptance while you meditate. Sometimes when I try to accept everything I find myself saying "oh crap, your not accepting that" or even holding onto thoughts and feelings under the category of "not accepted" which sometimes leads to deeper feelings of regret. A great analogy I got from Michael's meditation classes was the one of the clouds. Look upon your thoughts as if they are clouds in the sky, they are there, so accept their presence, then just let them float on by. One thing I would add, based on personal experience, would be that if you happen to see the same cloud twice, don't worry, because although the clouds will eventually disappear, they linger for a while. I guess this all revolves around acceptance anyway, eh. I hope this analogy helps.

Mitch

20. filly33

filly33 Member

How great is this?

What an absolutely amazing discussion! I finally took the time to read though it and I'm glad I did. It's been a while since I've found myself into anything. For a while I just sat around all day doing nothing. Meditation, and the ego, is heavy stuff. But what has been said and what has been shared deeply resonates with me. It's all so true, and I feel so much better knowing that there are other people out there going through the same things as me.

Mitch