1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Meditation time lapse

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Speedy, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Speedy

Speedy Member

My meditation sessions last week seemed a little strange. I would start out for the first 10 minutes repeating my mantra and seemed to be totally aware and then it was just go blank. I meditate while laying down but I am almost certain I had not fallen to sleep. When I became aware again I was normally right at that 20 minute mark which was been my alloted meditation time. Does this happen to anyone else? Is there something that I am doing that is incorrect?

Thanks,

Speedy

2. Griffin

Griffin Member

hey speedy,

i'm no expert but i think you're far more likely to lose concentration or awareness in the lying down position. i think awareness is one of the essential keys to progress in meditation and this is far more likely to be maintained with an erect spine. i lay down sometimes when i do relaxation exercises, and its ok to fall asleep. but when i do meditation i like to get the most out of it and from personal experience sitting up erect and alert is most beneficial.
    good luck.

3. Speedy

Speedy Member

Griffin,

I think you are right! i just finished meditating and without a doubt I was snoozing. Laying down is just so much more comfortable! Thanks for your reply!

Speedy

4. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Speedy,

Yes, lying down is more conducive to falling asleep as that is one of the ways the body perceives it is time to sleep. Sitting upright in a comfortable chair, but without the head/neck supported is a good way to be comfortable, but also to get an indication if you start to fall asleep as the dropping of the head will wake you up again.

As for time... well, time is observed when you are focused on something in the material world e.g. the senses or thoughts. Meditating such that time appears to have passed without noticing could be a good indication of being in a deep meditative state, providing you were also in complete awareness at the time. Certainly the lack of awareness of time passing is nothing wrong at all, and our bodies are usually very good at bringing us back to the 'real world' ;) when our time for meditation is complete, which we can usually simply tell ourselves how long we want to meditate for before we begin; and leave the body clock to do the rest.

Hugs

Giles