1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Meditation stones found in my garden

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Leumas, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Leumas

Leumas Member

Hello. So, i found these "meditation stones", im using the quote marks because i dont know what to call them. I found the first, smaller, stone about 6 or 7 months ago. I was in my garden sitting and stroking my cat when i noticed a strange purple colour in the dirt, i pulled out a stone which was a few inches across. the stone was a normal stone but the purple was from a painting on it. Someone who previously lived at this house had painted a person meditating onto the stone. Purple with a white outline and then also a white moon/sun above them. there is also a yellow glow or aura type thing around the person. at first that looks like dirt but its definitely paint. its a little worn, from being buried i think. Also the head looks as though its titled to one side. Neither stones have a face or much detail, just an outline. i found this stone very astonishing as i discovered it around the time i started to have a strong interest and appreciation in meditation, philosophy and other things. so i kept it and i very much treasure it. But it gets stranger! Yesterday i was in the garden and i spotted a bigger stone, out in the open, probably about twice the size and weight of the first. It was just sitting there with a painting of a person meditating, white with black outline, no sun or anything. it was so clean and not worn at all even though it has been sitting there for however long through all the rain, wind and everything. it was like someone had just placed it there moments ago. Its very strange to me as its again at a time where i feel i need some guidance, assurance or whatever. Most likely its just a coincidence and someone who lived here, i think, maybe meditated in the garden sometimes and painted one of those every or some times. I think there may be more out there. Even so, i find these stones very alluring. I'm curious as to whether anyone knows of any teaching of painting pictures on stones or something, or whether it was just one persons way of relaxing or for whatever reasons they did it. Regardless of the reasons for it, i will cherish these stones as reminders. I'm interested to hear if anyone has heard of anything similar or got any similar stories! Please, tell me! :D

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi,

I'm not aware of any specific practice of stone painting for meditation or other spiritual matters, though there are certainly many spiritual practices out there and there are many that do include painting, or drawings etc. For example, Zen Buddhism has a practice of calligraphy included in it (called Hitsuzendo), and the School of Economic Science (based in London but various branches around the UK and other countries) which is linked to the London School of Meditation, both of which use meditation practices, also includes teachings in Art and Calligraphy where the awareness is placed on the working surface... so painting "in the present moment".

It's quite common in a lot of new age practices to adorn things with paintings or various different crafts, and many people practicing new age spiritual things may create themselves idols and shrines etc. often including painted or crafted obects... so having painted stones in the garden with spiritual images on doesn't surprise me... you'll probably find a rusted or rotton dream catcher somewhere too. :)

Hugs

Giles

3. olmate

olmate Member

What a nice story. I can understand you reaction to finding the stones.

I am not aware of a specific practice. However from a personal perspective I do enjoy meditating outdoors, sitting on a rock. I used to meditate on a rock on the top of a ridge overlooking a rural landscape. I have since moved from that area and am now down by the sea. I like to sit on a rock by the water now when I am able, at sunrise.

At the moment I have my head in the stars, so the feel of the rock takes me out into the universe - the rock (and me) being the stuff the stars are made of. Lol.

Olmate

4. Anglepen

Anglepen Member

I think that's lovely! What a fantastic thing to find, especially in a time of personal need!
    I hope you treasure them and take comfort from having them.

Kev