1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Meditation on anxiety

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Redmar112, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Redmar112

Redmar112 Member

Does anyone have a succes story about how the release their anxiety trough meditation?

3 years ago I had a severe anxiety that I was going to die.. It pretty much came from me not letting my feelings go and having much stress at that time. However somehow I was able to block it. Now the last year I had glimpses op that anxiety coming back. And last month I was pushing my body to the limit by doing a lot of fitness and I didn't meditate that month. I got a severe blatter infection and my "brown stuff" is trapped in my body so I have to take laxation. Almost every day I feel sick and since 2 days I hear a sound in my right ear. I don't pay much attention to things when I meditate now, but obviously there's something going on in my body. Can meditation help me? I am using lifeflow while I watch tv, is this a bad thing? (I do this because of my anxiety, i pretty much leave the tv on all day)

I just feel stuck, at the moment. Thinking i'm going crazy. I used to think this will never happen to me, well think again..

I had a time in my life that I blocked emotion and hearing cool music in order to be a super relaxed guy, but that got me sheaky and my blood preassure was like crazy high, I don't now how my friends can do it, but I can't.

But sometimes I think i'm also blocking my feelings by meditation, but with meditation there is no high blood pressure. And I am able to love a girl like I never loved before when I was all ego.

She's like wow so beautiful and I just want to be better so I can go to public places and be with her again i miss her.. damn this is hard

I hope someone could give me a few tips

love,
    Redmar

2. Ta-tsu-wa

Ta-tsu-wa Member

Welcome Redmar

Nice to have you join the forum.

First off, I think if you take some time and read through the existing posts on this forum you'll see there are many people who have experienced anxiety issues and many who have overcome them. I'll offer you a few thoughts to consider.

Anyone who suffers from anxiety, particularly if there are definite physical symptoms in addition to the feelings of anxiousness, should go to a physician and get a complete physical. Anxiety is an epidemic in our society today, and the vast majority of people who experience it are just dealing with an anxiety disorder and not something that is physically dangerous. The reason I suggest you get a complete physical is not because I think you're going to find some big, frightening medical problem. Get a physical so that you can have a little peace of mind. If the doctor gives you a thorough checkup and clears you, then you know that all those fears of impending physical failure you're having are just manifestations of the anxiety and not symptoms of some horrible physical condition. So get a good physical and give yourself a little peace of mind.

The next thing I notice is that you do have some physical issues. You mentioned a bladder infection as well as constipation. If you're not getting sufficient water that can lead to both of those problems. My guess is, your diet needs some improvement and the place to start in your case sounds like proper hydration and adequate water intake.

You might also want to consider getting in a few sessions with a trained counselor; someone who is skilled in working with cognitive behavioral therapy. Repeated anxiety and panic attacks are usually the result of going through the same patterns of thought over and over again. This leads to the anxiety appearing over and over again. Your thoughts normally have triggers that set them off. A good therapist will help you figure out what those triggers are, and then they'll help you establish new and healthy ways to respond to your triggers rather than responding to them with escalating anxiety.

Meditation can be useful in dealing with anxiety because over time it retrains the body in ways to relax both physically and mentally. However, it isn't going to make your problems go away over night and it probably won't make them go away all by itself. It's a great tool, but don't expect it to be a complete cure. By your own admission, you've dealt with it in the past by trying to force it down, block it, and distract yourself away from it. Those strategies might work temporarily, but eventually the anxiety overwhelms such tactics if the problem is not corrected from a deeper level.

Consider meditation as just one of the tools in your toolbox. Other tools are going to be needed, too. Take a look at your lifestyle. To overcome anxiety you're probably going to have to make some pretty broad lifestyle changes. As I mentioned a moment ago, you probably need to look at your overall diet and see what you can do to improve it. Do you have a balanced diet? Do you get most of your food from fresh sources? Do you routinely read and understand the nutritional labels on food? In our world today, there is so much unhealthy garbage that passes itself off as food, reading, understanding, and planning our meals based on those nutritional labels isn't optional any more. It's a requirement. If you aren't routinely making your food selections based on regular reading of nutritional labels, I can pretty much guarantee you that your diet is unhealthy. In our times, a healthy diet won't happen unless you plan it out, and that means reading those labels (have I repeated that enough that it's beginning to sink in?)

That's something you can start doing right now, today, that will help your body immensely, and that will begin to give you the proper foundation to get rid of the anxiety.

Here's something else you can do. If you're into any sort of recreational drugs, or even alcohol, cut them out. Don't cut them down, cut them "OUT". So many of those chemicals act directly on the central nervous system that to try to get a handle on anxiety while at the same time ingesting chemicals that throw your moods all over the place is like trying to put out a fire by throwing gasoline on it. Hopefully, those things aren't a part of your life, but if they are, get rid of them. In the long run they aren't helping you and in fact there is a good chance they are a contributing factor in your anxiety.

I've written a lot about anxiety in other threads so rather than trying to repeat that all again, I'm going to post a couple of links:

http://www.project-meditation.org/community/meditation-chatter-box/1306-help-please.html#post6345

http://www.project-meditation.org/community/meditation-chatter-box/1306-help-please-2.html#post6358

http://www.project-meditation.org/c...ion-introductions/2719-5-weeks.html#post13852

Use the thread search engine and you can locate posts by others who have dealt with, or are dealing with anxiety issues. Fortunately, anxiety is one of those things that can be successfully overcome.

Hope this has helped.

3. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hi Redmar,

As always, very good tipps from Ta-tsu-wa. I like to add my 5 coins, as i suffered from anxiety too. I still have anxiety here and then, but i dont suffer anymore. Why? Because anxiety is an expression of our thoughts. Our brain has the function to judge things for our physical survival. If it wouldnt, we couldnt tell the difference between a dangerous snake, and a harmless worm.

In our times, the brain often judges things as dangerous, which in fact arent dangerous at all. Therefore it sends thoughts in specific situations, which again create those feelings of anxiety. Meditation helps to learn to let go of thoughts, so it is a tool, like Ta-tsu-wa said, which can help dealing with your anxiety.

Some concrete tipps to deal with it:

- In a situation where you feel anxiety, watch your thoughts. What are you thinking? Are your thoughts telling you the truth? Whats going on in your body? Watch it, and most important dont block it.

One day you will be able to let go of your anxiety. It will arise, but you wont identify with it. You will feel it in your body, you will notice how it changes your perception, but you wont react to it. Thats what meditation helps us to achieve... to let go.

4. Redmar112

Redmar112 Member

Thank you for helping

First of all I want to thank anyone for posting.

@Ta-tsu-wa Thanks!

I agree with you about getting a test to see if there's trully something wrong. 3 years ago I had heart rithm problems so I did the tests and it turned out my hearth was completly fine, and that helped me to understand that I don't have any problems with my hearth. Somehow I think this whole anxiety started again because I had physical sensations. I saw your other posts and the one where you described GAD about that guy inside of you always watching and red alerting(fun wordplay :)), is 100% whats going on with me!! I never understood this so good. Right now at this moment I hear him saying: Redmar you still have that sound in your right ear! you could have a bleeding in your brain!

Currently i'm on the same medication I had 3 years ago(Alprazolam) exept I don't really need it right now. I took it the last couple of days because I need that constipation to dissolve first. I'm not addicted to the medication like 3 years ago I just have it "just in case I do freak out". That time I didn't knew meditation or releasing so that was a very scary experience at that time I can assure you! Oh and the Alprazolam is ofcoure to relax the muscles and therefore my whole body.

about dieeting and lifestyle:

It's truth that I didn't drink enough, but when I drink it's 9/10 times Water. And ofcourse with the docter's warning I drink a lot more! I'm not like super healthy but I eat salads with my mother and I usally eat 2 white bread with Ham in the morning, once p/week I eat like chips or that stuff not that much.. And lately with my physical sickness I didn't have a lot of appetitte so I only eat 3 times a day.

I don't use drugs and I stopped drinking alcohol 5 months ago beceause I get to sick the day after.

about releasing energy:

Before meditation I already knew about Sedona and Release technique. And for me altough I had some succes with it, I can never make a technique like that my lifestyle and I explain why: If in every situation youre in, you need to keep releasing and frustration that comes from it youre in my opinion not in the moment. Asking those questions could you, would you, and when, all day long makes me crazy and unhappy. I had some financial succes with the release technique but I can't do it al the time it brakes me down. Not just me a friend of mine also just can't stick to those principles.

Lifeflow is so much better it trully let's you LIVE! it helps you relax before the day starts and that day every situation people around you change to your relaxed state. I never had a technique where i could trully be myself only better! Because this is what I always wanted to be me but the relaxing way, not the forced one.

I think if I could overcome these anxiety that I could do great things. I have so many plans. Chasing my dreams, beeing with the one you love etc.

At the moment i'm not that sick anymore but I am going to the docter this week to check my ear. It's a pitty that happened in the progress of becoming better.

The stress also came from not choosing a direction in my life. I'm 22 years old and I have to make the choise to study or work and I keep setting that choise for the future I had a year of doing nothing to think about it.

by the way when I used the releasing techniques I noticed the energy going away from my body, and I wonder how that works with Lifeflow because I feel the energy in my body but where does it leave? and is it natural to feel the body tinteling sensations during and after meditation? sometimes i'm so far into my body that I get up and i'm a bit dizzy in my head.

@ Panthau
    It helps me that you were able to change your reaction to those anxiety's!

5. Ta-tsu-wa

Ta-tsu-wa Member

Just remember that the little "Red Alert!" guy sees everything through the lens of "this might be something serious". If you cough a bit more than usual, he'll immediately suggest to you this could be the first sign of lung cancer. If you feel some tingling in your fingers or toes, he'll whisper to you that this is what diabetics feel because their diabetes leads to impaired circulation in the extremeties. If you have a headache that seems to center itself behind one particular eye, he'll remind you that is often how pain is experienced in cases of brain tumors.

The vast majority of the time, a cough is just a meaningless cough. Tingling sensations have nothing to do with any serious issue. And a headache can happen anywhere on your head and it doesn't mean a thing in terms of serious health issues. If you've felt anxiety and panic before, you've no doubt become almost hyper aware of even the slightest deviation from what feels "normal" to you. It isn't really that you're having more aches, pains and twitches than you used to. They were there all along. You're just more aware of them now than you used to be in your carefree days.

The Red Alert guy is the supreme pessimist. He will always, always, always come up with the absolute worst case scenarios whenever you feel anything unexpected. Just knowing that fact about him is half the battle. The Red Alert guy is a liar. Once you've had your doctor check you over and he's ruled out any serious physical conditions, then you can be assured that when the Red Alert guy talks, it is to lie to you and deceive you. Don't fall for his lies.

The truth is, our bodies are amazing, self-repairing organisms. Most of the time they heal us without our even knowing there was anything that needed healing. That's how incredible these bodies are. For the most part, all we need to do to heal is just not interfere and put obstacles in the way of our natural healing processes.

For example, when you get a cut on your hand, can you make that cut heal? Do you have to think about which cells to order on scene to defend against potential invading bacteria? Do you have to know which enzymes act as catalysts to produce actions within the body that relate to the healing process? Do you have to think about ordering your cells to get in there and cart off dead cells so they can be replaced by new, live cells? Do you have to know how to instruct your cells to knit together into new skin so finely that no one will even know there was ever a cut there when the process is complete? You don't have to know any of those things. In terms of the healing process, you don't have to know a thing. The body and its natural healing system and innate intelligence is going to repair the damage regardless of how clueless you are about all that it's doing.

What you can do is make sure you keep the would clean, so that bacteria doesn't slow down the healing process. You can refrain from picking at the scabs that will form during the healing process. But these are things you do by way of not interfering, or allowing anything else to interfere with the healing. The actual healing process itself is automatic. Your body has intelligence and it knows exactly what to do.

The same is true of pretty much any sort of healing. Just stay out of the way and do your best to keep other things from getting in the way and the body automatically does all the work. That's why I strongly encourage you to look at your lifestyle and, in particular, to begin by looking at your diet. All of the life sustaining water, vitamins, enzymes, fats, proteins, carbs, minerals and phytonutrients need to be made available to your body on a daily basis. If you give your body those things, and make sure they are high quality, that's half the job. The other half is avoiding taking in things that become obstacles to good health.

We've become so used to eating toxic foods and drinking toxic beverages that most of us have absolutely no idea how much we truly burden our bodies with anymore. Once you begin studying about these things you quickly come to understand that for most of us, the cells in our body are swimming in accumulated toxins. It is so prevailent that there is virtually no way we can exist in this world free of them. So the object has become reducing them to levels our amazing bodies can cope with. We do have toxin removal systems in the body. For most people these systems are in a state of perpetual overwhelm. We take in far more than they are able to purge us of. If we can just begin to limit those toxins to a significant degree, our amazing bodies will be able to finish the rest of the job by eliminating what's left.

That would be my suggestion to you, Redmar. You're a young guy. Your body is right in the middle of its prime. Treat it right. Feed it high quality nutrition and cut way, way back on feeding it toxins. Learn how to read nutritional labels. Do some serious research on health-conscious websites. Many of them post fantastic information about healthy lifestyles that is understandable by the average person. You won’t find that information in the mainstream media. Unfortunately, those government agencies whose job it is to look after us and protect us from harmful things are no longer in that business. Most of them have changed focus and now work mostly on behalf of corporations and monetary interests. It is up to us to learn how to watch out for ourselves. Do that, and your body is good not just for a long life, but for a healthy, feel-good, long life.

Take advantage of reputable sources of information that will help you learn exactly how to do that. Some of the more reputable sites I like to pay attention to include:

Natural Health Information Articles and Health Newsletter by Dr. Joseph Mercola This site is run by a doctor who has broken with the mainstream medical establishment in many areas. He provides loads of information about health, nutrition, exercise and other related topics. He has a free news letter that is second to none. If I recall correctly, it is the largest non-mainstream health-related news letter online.

Health Ranger Homepage This site is run by Mike Adams. He is not a medical doctor but he has spent a great deal of time studying and collecting health information that the mainstream press refuses to cover. Occasionally he does express some political views, which I don’t always find all that interesting, and some of his health perspectives can be a little excessive. But on the whole, his site is a great resource for health information. Adams also has a free news letter that’s very good.

DrWeil.com - Official Website of Andrew Weil, M.D. Is the website of Dr. Andrew Weil. He is a physician who graduated Harvard medical school and has since begun incorporating alternative health therapies into his practice along with mainstream medicine. Dr. Weil is more in the middle. He accepts much of modern medicine while at the same time recognizing there is more to healing than what the corporate medical world would have us believe. Dr. Weil tends to be more mainstream oriented than Dr. Mercola. He has several newsletters that are free, and which address different areas of health and wellness depending on your interests. If I had to put him in just one category I would say his emphasis is strongest on nutrition.

These are just a couple of the sites I think you would find of great benefit. By the way, both Dr.s Weil and Mercola have information that addresses the problems associated with anxiety and panic attacks.

Let me touch on the idea you raised of releasing as interfering with living in the present moment. I understand your point, but let me offer you a different way to look at it that makes releasing a part of living in the moment rather than something that gets in the way.

Living in the moment does not mean you don't think about the past or plan for the future. You live in the moment even while you're considering one or the other of these things. The way to do that is to keep in mind that I am here, in this moment, and in this moment I am planning something in my future. I'm not in the future planning it. I can't be in the future planning it because this moment is the only place I exist in (existential issues aside for now.) So, even as I am working out my future plan, I remain aware that I'm doing that right here, right now.

Thinking about the future or the past is always done in the present moment. If you keep that idea in mind, then you are still grounded in the present. You're not lost in daydreams of the future or mindlessly reliving fantasies or regrets out of the past.

If you have studied the course material for either the Sedona or Release technique, then you may recall that one of the first things you do is scan yourself to identify what it is that you’re experiencing right now, here, in this present moment. That’s a “now” activity. When you begin asking the questions about “allowing it to be” or “embracing it” or “allowing it to leave” and so forth, you are still focusing on that present moment’s experience. That “now” experience is the object of your questions, and so you never have to leave the present moment to answer them. Maybe it’s easier to rephrase the questions just a little to something like, “Can I allow this feeling just to be here as it is right now? Can I let go of what I’m feeling and experiencing right now?” and so forth. As you are monitoring yourself to the sensation of the release, you’re not monitoring for the future or past. You’re monitoring changes in how you’re feeling “right now”. If anything, using something like Sedona should be a tool to keep you more focused in the present moment. Think of it that way and I believe you’ll find it far more useful.

One more thing in your post I wanted to comment on. You said that you think you could do great things if you could just overcome the anxiety.

I have news for you, young fellow. You are capable of great things even with the anxiety. Never, ever sell yourself short. Part of living in the present moment is avoiding that illusory “some day” that never arrives. “Some day, when I have anxiety under control, then I’ll be happy. Some day, if I beat my anxiety issue, then I’ll start doing great things. Some day, when anxiety and panic attacks are just a distant memory, then I’ll have the relationships I know I’m capable of having.”

Each time you allow yourself to dwell on one of these kinds of thoughts you’re distancing yourself from living in the present moment. Give yourself permission to do the things you’re capable of right now, even if there are still issues about anxiety yet to be resolved. Find those stepping stones that lead to all the great things you’re capable of; the stones that are within your reach right this moment. Find them and step on them. Get the ball rolling. Perhaps there are practical matters relating to the anxiety that put limits on your ultimate goals, and which you’ll need to work your way up to, but there are certainly many great things you’re capable of right now, right in this moment. Do them. Nothing helps chase anxiety away like being successful at tasks you set your mind to on a regular basis. Those little success stories will fuel your progress towards being done with anxiety once and for all.

6. Mr Monkey

Mr Monkey Member

Hi Redmar,

To add a something to a typically helpful, insightful and positive Ta-Tsu-Wa post, I just want to focus on one thing you said:

Sometimes reframing things can be good, let’s try looking at what you could do instead of beating yourself up about what has passed, have you really wasted a year?

Taking positive things forward from this situation:
    1. You have established you don’t want to miss another year making this decision, realising you’ve missed an oppertunity is one thing, to do it again, you’d have to be a bit naughty :eek:
    2. You have established you want to work or study, ie do something productive
    3. Now is an opportunity to reflect on what your good at (put you’re feet up and have a think :))
    4. Now is an opportunity to reflect on what you want out of life (put you’re feet up and have a think :))
    5. Now is an opportunity to look at how you can achieve your aims (are they all material :confused:?)
    6. Now an opportunity to consider travel before taking on your ‘master plan’ :D
    7. When you start to work or study you’ll appreciate the steps you’ve taken to do it.
    8. When you start to work or study you’ll be able to help people in the same predicament you were in a year previously :)
    9. You are young (you are trust me ;)) training will be available to you and you can look for remote academic opportunities (ie, something like ‘The Open University’ in UK which I know very well) or employment oppertunites.
    10. You appreciate that even though you thought things were bad, sometimes a different perspective can help (well hopefully you can ;) :))

How bad is this situation?
    • Can you survive it?
    • Can you get out of it?
    • Can you use your current situation to help drive/energise you in the future?
    • If you got out of your situation could you use it as an example to help others?
    If all answers were yes (and they should be!), then happy days :)

A few positive steps (no matter how small) now could make a significant different in the future. You maybe thing “yeah, whatever :rolleyes:” (and I would have many years ago too!), but consider if you had started something last year – you wouldn’t be where you are now… BUT before you beat yourself up about that, forget it and simply appreciate that you can make changes NOW to prevent yourself being in the same situation next year :D.

Hopefully you can see that things aren't all bad :), plus if you wait another 5, 10, 15 year to pull you finger out, to term a phase, "it'll just become a sh*t* site worse!" :eek:, so simply use that as a positive incentive :D

I guess you've had enough reading for now, so I'll leave it there.

Paul

7. Redmar112

Redmar112 Member

You have giving me a lot to think about, thanks guys!

I want to share with you that i'm doing a lot better, today I had a couple of sensations but I didn't pay a lot of attention to it because I was relaxed and I had an attitude of whatever, I have something better to do than worrying about this! When youre relaxed the red alert guy seems to sleep as wel.

8. Redmar112

Redmar112 Member

Ok so i'm back:)

What have I been up to?

I'm no longer scared of the body sensations by using the panic away program. I used the affirmation: I have a great life. For the last 3 weeks and I since then I have never given the anxiety any thought.

Ok so now I want to go back to lifeflow. Why? because Lifeflow is awesome! it's so relaxing

A couple of years back I supressed the anxiety and by using lifeflow it came up again, it makes sense if you think about it. Something you just haven't dealth with. And now I did and I think I can grow now as a person

In the past I went from one selfhelp to another selfhelp program. Just to deal with my anxiety's and not really living.

Affirmations are great but there also ask for a lot of energie, at least that's how it feels. I think if I could use both meditation and affirmation. I could relax and have happy thougths as well. What do you think? (the one who is reading this:D)

Btw sometimes I like to listen to lifeflow while i'm watching TV. It seems to relax me just the same way that normal meditation does. Am I the only one who does this? Is it harmfull in any way?

Great to be back on the ride!

9. Bryan555

Bryan555 Member

I just wanted to say how much I appreciate the posts by Ta-tsu-wa. Really thoughtful and helpful...to all of us, actually.

It is rare to run across so much wisdom, so well and simply stated.

Thanks again...

To Redmar...I must say that I've never tried watching TV while listening to LifeFlow. Do you just turn off the TV sound and watch the video? With LifeFlow as the soundtrack, so to speak?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  10. GilesC

GilesC Member

As long as you're not driving and watching TV and listening to lifeflow, I can't see that it would be a problem. :D

Seriously, it's perfectly ok to listen to lifeflow while you do other stuff, just as long as it's not something that could put you in danger such as driving etc. Treat it as if it were some sort of medication that can make you drowsy... "do not use this product whilst driving or operating machinery etc." :cool:

Hugs

Giles

11. Redmar112

Redmar112 Member

I just turn the sound of the tv as loud that I can hear a little bit. Whatever i'm watching, with lifeflow I just enjoy it a lot more.

12. Redmar112

Redmar112 Member

I think for us as men doing 2 things at the same time is a big accomplishment already :D

I thought perhaps because of the brain waves, and I'm using my brain as well to watch tv haha something like that. But great that it's Ok to do so.

Sometimes I use it before some stressfull events(date, meeting etc.) really helps a lot don't you think?

13. Edwin

Edwin Member

Even the music/sounds alone will be enough to change your mindset in my opinion, so I agree with you :)

14. Franz

Franz Member

Hello Redmar. I haven't visited this forum in awhile and I just so happened to visit today and I stumbled upon your post. I had the exact same issue 2 years ago. I know about the listening to your heartbeat every second because of fear of a heart attack, constant monitoring of every single sensation in your body in fear that it might be due to some illness or something wrong, shortness of breath, panic attacks. I had almost the exact same issue you have. To shed some light on anxiety/panic attacks...I can't remember the last time I felt any anxiety or have had a panic attack so you can and WILL overcome anxiety. Anxiety is due to your body operating at high levels of stress for long periods of time. After awhile, your body will continue to operate at a higher anxiety benchmark. For example, when your anxiety benchmark is normal, a slight sensation in your chest might go unnoticed or even felt but ignored. For someone with a high anxiety benchmark this will lead to thoughts of “maybe I have high blood pressure, am I going to have a heart attack, what if something is wrong”. Does this sound to familiar to you?

I will tell you what I did and you can plan what works best for you. I also used a panic program called the Linden Method and this made me realize what anxiety was. Before I experienced, anxiety I had no clue what it was and my first experience felt as if I was going to die. I was so scared. I felt so helpless. Up to that point in my life I was always confident and sure nothing like that could eever happen to me but it did. It was the result of constant worrying and stress that brought me to that point.

Before I go any further I need to ask since you mentioned that you are working out…are you taking any supplements. I was taking a stimulant (called NO Shotgun) before working out at the time and that lead to pushing my anxiety benchmark higher than normal.

I also visited a doctor and completed a physical just to make sure I was ok. He said I was absolutely fine.

Now moving on, after reading the Linden Method I became more curious of what was going on inside. I didn’t want to take Xanax or any prescription drugs because I wanted to deal with it on my own. Even though I read the Linden Method and I understood what was going, bringing my anxiety level back down was going to make more legwork than I thought. I then came across Lifeflow. This is where all the work takes place. I started off with Lifeflow 10 and in the beginning I experienced panic attacks while listening to Lifeflow. I was scared something was going to happen. Even though I was scared out of my mind I persisted. I kept reciting my mantra in my head and could hear the thoughts trying to breakthrough and instead of resisting I watched and observed them. I watched how the panic originated by some thought. I kept watching the cycle and allowed myself to fully experience the panic. It is very scary and uncomfortable. One day while meditating I said to myself…”I don’t care anymore, go ahead, I’m not afraid of panic attacks…I get them everyday so what the heck is there to be afraid of. I’m afraid of the sensation of being scared and nothing has happened to me. I give up trying to fight it and get rid of it.” Everyday I would meditate. I knew I would get a panic attack or extreme anxiety and I allowed it and I watched it. My panic attacks went from everyday to every other day, then a couple of times a week, to a couple of times a month. Anxiety went from severe to mild, to worry, to less worry, to no worry. Today I cannot remember the last time I felt panic or anxiety. There is so much more details but all in all you will learn all you need to learn and much more. Observe the anxiety and see how it works. Don’t be afraid of being afraid (which is what anxiety is). There is so much more that I simply cannot write everything down but you will receive all the answers you need by meditation. They will come to you. I do recommend meditating at least 20 minutes with headphones on. Let this be a daily practice. It helps so much.

15. Redmar112

Redmar112 Member

Hello Franz:)

Yes it sounds familiar! We both used a program to get to know the anxiety, I had the same thing never knew wat GAD was. Until I learned it and understood that it's something you created yourself, and that you can get rid of it.

I use panic away, it works something like this:

1.Observe your body sensations, don't judge them
    2.welcome it with all your hearth
    3.Demand more anxiety, more panic, laugh at the sensations, see the panic as a cartoon character(I use donald duck hehe) telling you that all the things that's wrong with you. It's hard to take the panic seriously that way.
    4.trust that you are okey

I guess Linden method is something like it?

No I didn't take any supplements. My docter didn't help me at all, I still have a lot of frustration towards him. But on the other hand i'm proud I helped myself. For people who never had this, it's hard to understand the terror you feel all day long. Sometimes I was convinced that dying got to be better than this. That's how I got rid of the panic I felt 4 years ago, I couldn't breath in my sleep and for a moment I felt peace and full acceptance, and accepted dying. And suddenly there was like a big explotion, like the fears got away.

The panic away program helped me to accept the sensations, and the affirmation: I have a great life. Helped me to shift in a positive direction.
    I don't think the people on the panic away forum, seem to understand the law of attraction. If you talk about panic all day, guess what you are attracting.

I'm glad to hear that you used Lifeflow succesfully to get rid of the anxious thinking.

I think I now have the perfect tools to get my life back on track:

1. panic away for sensations and fear
    2. Affirmation to shift to the positive, however affirmation bring a lot of extra energy and you have to relax as well. That why I need nr 3 as well
    3. Lifeflow, lifeflow makes me happy, it helped my relationships so much. I used to be in my head all the time. My head was always to busy, that I couldn't have a normal relationship with a girlfriend. Something I do have now:) However lifeflow alone causes me to stop doing things and just relax all day. I still need to do stuff, get out of my house.

Currently i'm doing well on the anxiety part, but it still have a long way to go. This summer I have to find a job and move out of the house. And I still have some fear to even leave the house, because of my anxiety stuff I experienced in the past it feels like a wall holding me back to get out there again.

2 months ago I came across a psychic who told me that she sensed a lot of power in me and a lot of greatness but I escaped life because I was hiding behind computers and tv all the time. Deep down I knew she was right, I'm always making excuses not to go out with friends and stuff. I think it's time for me to explore the world instead of the 4 walls i'm in now

16. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Redmar,

There are a few techniques similar to this, and they go by all sorts of different names. Essentially it comes down to being aware of when an "issue" arises, and then rather than letting that issue get to you, you put your awareness and focus on it, upon which the recognition that the issue is not yourself (otherwise how could you observe it) is felt and the issue dissolves.

Absolutely, not everyone is going to know about LOA, but there's always a first time. If you've found something that works, then share it with them, that's the point of such forums, to support each other.

You will get there. You recognise it for what it is, and you know in yourself that what is in the past is not here in the present and can never be the future. As a good therapist friend of mine says... "TPITPSLIT!" (which means The Past Is The Past So Leave It There) :)

That's good to hear. You have supporting people around you if you need. ;)

Hugs

Giles

17. Franz

Franz Member

It's funny how that program outlines what I did as far as making myself have more panic attacks. It’s hard for people to understand the condition. In my experience the cycle begins with being afraid to feel fear. Panic is typically something that your body creates when you are faced with something dangerous. Well what if your mind create and believes that panic is dangerous and something to be afraid of? Panicking because of fear of panicking. That’s basically what I experienced but just know you will overcome it.

The most powerful tool that helped me aside from meditation is breathing correctly throughout the day when I would remember. Most people think taking deep breaths is easy and will calm you but there is more to it than that.

When your body has a high anxiety benchmark you can try and tell yourself in your mind to calm down but it takes more work. You know for a FACT nothing is wrong with you. You have NO medical issues whatsoever. I also read in the Linden Method that it is also a fact that no one has been physically harmed by anxiety. So now you observe yourself and understand..."ok nothing is wrong, I'm just operating at a high level of anxiety so I'm kind of like a car that’s redlining all the time." Next time you feel fear understand this is what is happening. This is a truely liberating thing to do.

This next step is the most important. You begin to watch your mind. You start to watch all the crazy irrational thoughts. You being to realize this isn't you.

OK so what do you do from there?

You breathe.

Why breathe?

Because once you take control of your body...the mind will have no choice but to follow. This is the most effective weapon against many negative things in your life. It will bring you back to being centered. Read Eckhart Tolle's advice on breathing. It is so powerful yet we forget how important it is to breath.

You will feel instant relief I guarantee.

You might want to do more research on this but basically you want to breathe in 3 seconds in through you nose, hold it for a brief moment, then breathe 6 seconds out of your nose again. Feel the air flow through your diaphragm (stomach), not your lungs. Do this 10 times anytime you feel any anxiety and this will instantly re-center you. (do more research on this, there are tons of info on the web)

From a meditative standpoint focusing on breathing is a powerful tool to bring you closer to your true being. From a physical standpoint, when you sleep you breathe a certain way. This is the correct way to breathe. This type of breathing is how someone who is extremely calm would breath. So regardless of what your mind says, if you breathe like this your body will naturally calm down. Relaxe every muscle in your body when you do this eventually your mind will follow.

When I first started I found myself doing this every ten minutes. The anxiety I felt became a cue for me to correct breathing. I started using anxiety as a reminder to correctly breathe. This with meditation and you are good to go.

As far as what the psychic said…many influential people also dealt with issues similar before they became “enlightened”. Personally I really don’t know what enlightenment means and I have stopped searching for enlightenment awhile ago but these people all did something great once they overcame something extremely painful. I can tell you about how my life changed after overcoming anxiety and my experience with LOA but that in itself is another story.

Lastly Redmar, this issue you have was meant for you. You need it. You may not understand these words now but soon you will. This experience will be one of the most important and valuable experiences in your life. I wouldn’t be surprised if sometime in your past you asked for something…maybe some truth to life, some direction…maybe you questioned how life is and how it seemed like there is more to life than what you see now around you…maybe even answers…maybe more power (not in a traditional sense but true power). This is a gift. Like I said you may not understand it now as I didn’t in the beginning but soon you will. Good luck.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  18. Boris Badenov

Boris Badenov Member

Franz and Redmar, I am a fellow anxiety sufferer. I've had physical symptoms as well, from feeling like I am dying to severe constipation and dehydration. Deep breathing never worked for me as I am usually dizzy and hyperventilating when I'm having a panic attack. What does work for me is the Emotional Freedom Technique, or EFT, and a counting technique. This is how the counting works: when you feel anxiety/panic coming on, tell yourself, "You have 20 seconds to give me a full-blown panic attack. I am going to count down from 20 to 0. At zero the game is over." Then you count, 20, 19, 18,....3,2,1,0. When the panic attack does not happen (and it never does) you tell yourself, "That's it! Game over! I am the one in charge now." It works every time for me.

19. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

20. Redmar112

Redmar112 Member

Hello Franz,

Could you tell me a bit more about your anxiety and how lifeflow changed it? How long did it take you to become anxiety free? Did you have anxiety while you are at work? Also i'm interested if you still use lifeflow, and what your remaning gains are. Since you mentioned you overcome the anxiety your pretty much my hero hehe. A lot of people who only follow a panic program, still have the anxiety. What's your experience with LOA?