1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

meditation not medication

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by moxy, Jul 24, 2009.

1. moxy

moxy Member

hi my names moxy i started using the free downloaded meditation in march and im just begining to feel my mind relaxing. i had a lot of problems with alchol and drugs over the last 30yrs and i really want to get my life together.i stoped alchol 3 halfyrs ago and ive stoped smoking hash about 2 mths ago.now ive stoped smoking cigarettes 2weeks ago and im on the patches and doing fine.i was always looking for an alternitive stone of some sort.[something healthy].ive had alot of things happen to me since i was a child and this was my way of blocking it all out.i was on self distruct for longer than i can remember and this was my way of trying to deal with it.ive tried,religion,excersice,other meditation,etc,etc,to much to go into.anyway i discovered this site and im trying to do the meditation and i feel much happier with myself and my life.alot of things are becoming clearer and i try to deal with things one at a time.i have my bad days like everyone esle but now i turn to meditation instead of medication.i need all the help i can get.
    power and love to you all. moxy:)

2. Ta-tsu-wa

Ta-tsu-wa Member

The Wall

Moxy,

Before "The Wall" became a Pink Floyd album it was a term runners used in reference to a point after they've pushed beyond their anaerobic threshold. Lactic acid buildup in the muscles causes them to lose contraction strength. No matter how hard they try to push those muscles, they simply begin working slower, and slower, and slower. The harder the runner tries to force them, the slower the muscles respond. They call reaching this point, "hitting the wall."

The details you related about the major changes you've made towards adopting a healthier lifestyle are truly amazing and, dare I say it, inspirational, especially to anyone reading about it who might be facing making healthy lifestyle changes in their own life.

When someone sets out to change habits such as those you related, they often hit "the wall" in a certain sense. Like a sprinter, they charge off the starting line and begin to pick up speed. As they stretch out those muscles and demand more performance out of them it feels great! There's a moment at which one feels almost invincible and it seems that the surge in power of muscles will never end. It's pure euphoria...for about 30 seconds or so. Then they move beyond their anaerobic threshold; lactic acid builds up in the muscle tissues until they finally hit "the wall". Despite their best efforts at coaxing more out of the muscles it just isn't happening.

Just as with that sprinter, someone seeking to release old habits may go through a similar set of stages. A flawless beginning, a rise in power, a sense that things are going perfectly, indeed, that they may just continue getting better and better. Then they hit "the wall." A smoker (or any other habit one may be trying to release) will have their smoking urge triggered to such an intensity they can scarcely believe it possible. Despite their meteoric beginning, when faced with these cravings they see no possible way to push through and past them. And even if they did find a way through this particular occurence, there appears little possiblity that continued future episodes could also be dealt with. Failure, it seems, is imminent.

Most of us trying to overcome long standing habits will experience something like this. When you hit "the wall", take a lesson from the sprinters. They don't try to overcome hitting the wall all at once. What they do instead of trying to push lactic acid-filled muscles to contract faster, is to lengthen their stride; they go for "longer strides", not "faster" ones.

In so doing, a sprinter maintains a faster pace than they would by attempting to force more speed from the muscles. In this way they cruise to the finish of the race with the best possible time. But that's not where this strategy ends. Runners, you see, know a secret.

They know that if they simply stopped running, or greatly reduced their efforts at the point they hit the wall, nothing would change in the future. "The Wall" would remain there so that the next time they ran a race it would arise at about the same point in the race and to more or less the same degree of intensity. But they also know that if they lengthen their stride and keep those muscles working at a relatively high level of effort, they are training the muscles to set a higher and higher level at which they reach the anaerobic threshold. In other words, "The Wall" will take longer before it is reached next time they run. With each successive effort of lengthening their stride and moving through the wall, its next occurence is delayed just that much further.

So, for instance, if they hit the wall at the 30 second mark this race, maybe ten races from now, if they have used the "lengthen my stride" technique consistently, they will find they do not hit the wall until 35 or 40 seconds into the race, and so forth.

In a way, adopting new and healthy habits to replace unhealthy ones we release is much like that. When we hit our own personal walls we need to lengthen our stride a bit and ride out that wave. It will pass. Lifestyle habits have both a physical and a psychological component to them. Neither physical or psychological peak intensity can be maintained indefinitely. Like a muscle reaching a point of fatigue, the intensity of cravings has a limited lifespan because the energy needed to sustain them is not infinite. So we lengthen our stride, cruise through them, and in so doing we set in motion a process by which the cravings will ultimately become less intense, and fewer and farther between. Consistent practice results in consistent progress.

Congratulations on your incredible progress so far, Moxy!

3. moxy

moxy Member

contentment

thankyou ta-tsu-wa for your insight and advice.i know the wall you speak of and ive hit it quite a few times in the past.i try to take each day as it comes and thank god for the distance i have come.im trying to maintain a pace and not get to carried away with my feelings.ive felt this way before and let myself get to high with the joys of life only to be shot down when i hit the wall.but things seem different this time around.i feel a peace coming into my life were as before i was so positive about the things i was going to do etc etc that i didnt realise the wall wasent to far ahead. now im trying to deal with my emotions on a daily basis and try not to expect to much from lifes journey.sometimes my meditation works sometimes it dosent but thats life. as long as i keep trying and have faith in my self and not expect to much then hope can be a positive thing.thanks again for your amazing reply. peace and love moxy.:):):)

4. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Welcome to the community Moxy :) I will be watching out for your success story and for now please know that I am cheering you on. I wish you an abundance of peace and joy on your journey :) :) :)

5. seatrend8899

seatrend8899 Member

Power to ya Moxy from Canada!

Really inspired by your "moxy" to "fight the good fight"!

Moxy, you have found a supportive place on this forum with people that will be there will you "through it all" :).

shine on :)

jim

6. moxy

moxy Member

thankyou

hi jim thankyou for your thoughts and support they mean a lot to me . im so glad i joined the community form.it feels so good to no that other people in the world are thinking about me. also i hope my story can inspire others. thanx again.
    peace and love stevie:):):):):)

7. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

Hi Stevie
    I'm so glad that you're finding meditation with LF helpful in getting yourself off old habits. I can tell you from my own experience that it will work. 29 years ago I started meditating by taking a 10 day silent vipassana retreat that changed my life. It gave me a new, powerful positive addiction---meditation! I did vipassana courses for 7 years after that which always boosted my practice and brought more insight. Now I meditate every day and can't imagine life without it. I rarely drink and never smoke, cigarettes or marijuana.

Intensity is key to breaking old habits and I believe Lifeflow can provide that intensity in the same way that 10 days of silence did for me. :)

Kudos to you for all the changes you've made in your life. You clearly do have moxy! It's wonderful, and I wish you every success.

Much peace and love to you :):):)

Bhavya

8. moxy

moxy Member

the universal creative mind

:)hi bhavya thankyou for your input. i enjoyed your feed back.my journey into my own mind is just begining and im amazed because i feel like a flower thats just begining to bloom for the first time. peace and love to the universe.
    stevie:D:D:D:):):)

9. moxy

moxy Member

washing machine head

hi everybody
    i havent been on for a wee while.ive been doing my downloaded meditation course.the last two days my head has been going on like a washing machine.
    i havent been able to get much sleep.thoughts have been bothering me,lots of negativity.and it has been a fight with myself.ive been kind of expecting it because ive been really hyper. i hit really high high,s sometimes and i dread the lows when i no there in the post.but thats just me.im starting to get some sleep and my head is slowing down again but sometimes i get a bit scared of my thoughts.especially the negative thoughts. because i want to be positive so much.maybe im trying to hard to be good i dont know. i just thought i had to share this.:confused:peace and love to all
    stevie

10. wayfarer73

wayfarer73 Member

thanks for the post, moxy

Really glad I came upon your post. I signed up for this forum tonight, because I have experienced some anguish since returning to the meditation practice. I am hoping to find some answers here. I, too, experienced a lot of emotional poison during those childhood years and in one way or the other, in one shape or another, those destructive emotional tendencies have ruled my life. It seems that the way I've gone about my practice hasn't been 'correct' or maybe I'm expecting something that is unrealistic. I just am looking for answers as to how I am to deal with some of the 'inner goo' that can come roiling up from the psyche when I meditate. It has been bad enough recently that I've considered abandoning the practice for a while. And yet, on the other hand, I know that the, inner goo will still be there. Since I started meditating again, I feel like I need a therapist more than I need to meditate....I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks to All.

11. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Stevie,

Sounds like you already know what you're doing as you're not letting the negativity get to you, but working through it and dealing with it in your own way. That's great. :)

As for trying to be positive, this is something you can't aim for. In truth, our natural state is one of positive, but it is simply covered by the negative. (imagine it like a lightbulb covered with dust; we know the light is on, but we just can see it because of the dust) By working to let go/remove the negativity (which is what you are doing), the positivity will naturally shine through.

Hugs

Giles

12. moxy

moxy Member

dusty lightbulb

thanx giles i liked your wee explanation on pos and neg feelings.im trying each day as it comes.its hard when your trying to be your own therapist.ive fought with my mind and emotions for years but now that im off all medication i.e,antidepressants.drink,hash,valium etc etc.its a personal choice for me.failure is not an option. i try not to beat myself up about things but try telling my mind that. its like two me.s and i know what one i like. thanx again giles for your fed back .god no.s i need it.
    stevie:):)

13. moxy

moxy Member

spin cycle

hi wayfarer and welcome to the forum. i spoke last night about my head goin on like a washin machine. well in answer to your question on inner emotions i can say that all this is also hapening to me and in a way its like my heads on a spin cycle and its getting all my emotions up to the surface. please stick in there because we have to deal with the issues that come up or they will continue to control all of our lifes as they have up to now.im still learning myself but one thing i do know is that this time i will not give in and throw in the towel.deep emotions do hurt but at least we feel them and they arint buried anymore.i keep askin people to help and part of my therapy is to try and help others too.in the past i delt with things diferently and was on self distruct for many years and that just made everything 10 times worse.i thought meditation would calm my life down but for a while it didnt and now i know why.we have to get in touch with our emoyions thats why i cleaned my life up and now everything is becoming so clear.im in touch with the frightened wee boy inside me now and i just want to cuddle him and say everthings gonna be ok. it makes me cry sometimes but i no its real tears of joy because ive found myself again.i hope this post helps you in some way and i look falward to hearing your reply. the way will get farer. hugs stevie:)

14. moxy

moxy Member

reply to wayfarer

hi wafarer welcome to the forum. i did reply to your post but i made a mistake and its on page two instead of this page sorry. please let me know what you think and thanx again for your post i no were your comin from. hugs stevie:)

15. moxy

moxy Member

hi wayfarer please go to page two of this post. moxy:)

16. wayfarer73

wayfarer73 Member

thank you again

It has been several weeks since I posted my first and, Stevie, your reply touches me. I am so grateful that you took the time to be present and share with me. Especially what you said about giving. I feel like some of the awful feelings that have come up are due to energies that I need to give out into life, instead of taking. By giving away ourselves, we are found. Bless you. Craig

17. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

Hi Stevie and Wayfarer
    The good thing about meditation is that it teaches us to observe our thoughts and emotions which helps us to gain detachment from them. It was a revelation to me when I realised a few years ago that I was not my thoughts or emotions! It sounds almost trite now, but it really was a revelation to "see" that. And that allowed me to begin releasing much of the emotional garbage that came with the stinking thinking from childhood. Eckhart Tolle's The Power of Now and A New Earth go into that quite a bit and there's a lot more about it in this forum.

Negative thoughts can come. After all, we're products of our past, but you can learn to identify them as just thoughts. They don't represent the real you, your pure Beingness which observes them.

I hope you go gently with yourselves... don't over-meditate... have compassion for the wounded child within. And as you said, helping others - giving of yourself - is a brilliant way to heal as well.

Everyone here is cheering you on.
    Much peace and love to you both :):):)
    Bhavya

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  18. moxy

moxy Member

reply 2 wayfarer

hi wafarer so good to hear you read my reply to your post.im just back on today myself.the good thing about meditation for me is that my mind is begining to listen to inner thoughts about whats good for me and my life.ive listened to distructive thoughts for years [and responded to them]but now im feeling this inner calm and maturity and its like having a good sencible friend with me advising where to go and not go,what to think and how to respond to situations that come up.:).im still drink and drug free and thankful for everyday.have faith in yourself and i know we will come through. hugs stevie:):):)look falward to hearing from you again. spread a little sunshine.:)

19. berni.landl

berni.landl Member

Wishing you Well

HI
    I wish you peace and healing...my name is berni
    I am new at this too and trying to stay off medication too...
    I just wish you great healing...and soo

20. moxy

moxy Member

reply to berni

hi berni thankyou for your post.i hope you look into this community now and again to get some feedback and hope from us all.:)i like to try and help others who are in the same boat as myself.ive only started meditating a few months ago and its comin on great.everything for me is small steps and im enjoying life so much just now.i keep to my routine each day wich is meditating for 20mins morning and 20mins in the evening.i look falward to my special times.im still off all medication as well as cigarettes and im amazed ive got this far.i hope you find your meaning in life and help others as this can give you strenth also.hope to hear from you soon.blessings stevie:)