1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

meditation lying down

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by jada, Oct 10, 2010.

1. jada

jada Member

hi there, i am on lifeflow 9 now. and i m loving it. i have a question, since i m slightly kyphotic, sometimes i have to rest my back while sitting doing maditation, so yesterday i tried doing it lying down...i slept, but not an ordinary sleep, it was a very deep sleep of maybe 20 minutes, my wife had to wake me up. so is there anyone doing meditation lying down without sleeping. and also are there more confortable positions ?
    :confused:
    peace

david

2. harijan

harijan Member

:)Hi David, Yes I too have problem doing meditation while sitting in normal cross-legged posture. So I have been doing it laying down in bed when I first awaken, which is also good in winter as I don't have to get all cold.
    As I do it after a good nights sleep I don't usually fall aseep during the meditation, but occasionally I have when I do it at other times of the day.
    I find it easy to relax the body while laying down.

You can also try sitting in a chair or using a meditation stool.

All the best,
    Hari

3. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Yes, you can meditate lying down; in fact you can meditate in any position.
    At present you have an automated response. Lying down, relaxing and closing your eyes………says to your mind/body sleep-time.
    Try lying away from bed; be comfortable but not too comfortable. Maybe a pillow and a yoga mat of some sort. If possible in a quiet room with plenty of airflow.
    Also sometimes you just may need the sleep :)

These auto responses are funny things. For years the only time I had to myself to read was in bed prior to sleep. Over time, this became an auto-response. Anytime, anyplace I’d pick up a book and read I’d fall asleep. Luckily I broke the habit........

4. jada

jada Member

thanks guys for your replies...yesterday i id it lying down, 40 minutes, and didn t fall asleep, and i was tired. i feel very relaxed doing it lying down

thanks

love and peace

david

5. Edwin

Edwin Member

A bit off-topic, but this kind of neurological programming can be used for your benefit as well.
    I taught myself to fold my hands in each other, tips of my thumbs lightly touching each other, close my eyes and smile slightly before beginning meditation.
    Now I can do this anywhere and instantly immerse myself in meditation just by doing that. In two or three breaths I will be in the meditation state.
    Works every time :)

6. GilesC

GilesC Member

Edwin,

In NLP terms that's called "anchoring" and can be useful for a multitude of things.
    It's a useful technique to use for emotions. If you find yourself in a very happy situation and you're enjoying the emotions, anchor it by touching a finger of one hand to another part of the body (you can use another finger, but it's common for fingers to touch and you want something specific, so perhaps some soft tissue at the base of the neck for example may be more suited). Then, whenever you're not feeling happy (not that you won't Edwin, but other people can use this hehe!), just remember to touch the same finger to the same part of the body let the recollection of the happy emotions come flooding back.

This is a similar reason to why lying down is synonymous to sleep, our body is anchored to that.

;)

Hugs

Giles

7. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Ditto Edwin, Paul Wilson..........The Quiet, taught me that method, works wonders :)

8. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Yes, awhile back I was taught this method to stop eating Chocolate; it was only an experiment, but worked.

Basically involved visualizing something disgusting to me (I used ear wax) and associated it with the taste and texture of chocolate. By repeating and intensifying the visualization and pressing thumb and forefinger together I was able to induce a feeling of vomiting. And it worked too. :(

Luckily it was easy to reverse too. Which in reality seemed pointless and put me off NLP as it was easy to reverse. :)

9. Edwin

Edwin Member

That's where I got it from, absolutely love the book !

10. Edwin

Edwin Member

LOL !!!:D
    Anything that can be programmed can be unprogrammed. Sounds logical to me. So why did that put you off ?

11. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Put off :)…….Although I believe that the method works and could be have great benefits. For example, to fold my hands in each other, tips of my thumbs lightly touching each other, close my eyes and smile slightly before beginning meditation.

If methods can be reversed then willpower could prove to be the key.
    If, say you had the notion to give up a bad habit like smoking, had some NLP sessions and the triggers worked. But If you were only serious about giving up for that week, then starting again would be as simple as reversing the method. But if you have the resolve to stop smoking for good then NLP wouldn’t be required as tenacity would be the key and not a visualization method.

Although in saying that I have never really gone in to NLP at any great depth. To me NLP is a bit like going on one of those Anthony Robbins Seminars. All the hype and energy on stage gets the audience whipped up in to believing, but slowly as the weeks pass, 99% of the audience would have gone back to their old habits.

Right I’m off for my Hour of Power ;)

12. GilesC

GilesC Member

NLP covers a wide variety of techniques. I tend to use NLP techniques when I've been treating people with EFT, FreewayCER or whatever as it helps me to 'read' the person (to know when they're telling the truth, or holding something back etc.) and to quickly get into a state of relaxed communication with them, especially as they usually start off a little nervous on their first treatement.

It does have many good things about it, but I agree, the NLP you often see is the hyped up sales and marketing NLP techniques. They're the same techniques really, just being applied to a different area of life.

Hugs

Giles

13. MeditationMan

MeditationMan Member

Try using mantras, if you haven't already. I haven't personally used them yet, however, I've read that using them can help prevent falling asleep while meditating.

14. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hmm, not sure about that, though there is some truth in saying that continual meditation practice can offer the benefit that less sleep seems necessary.

In vedic teachings they say that we are governed by 3 energies called the Guna. These are Sattva (or Sattwa), Rajas and Tamas. Ideally we seek for a consistent balance of these energies (which meditation helps to achieve). "balance" is a bit of an odd word though in the sense of the Guna, as we can never have too much Sattva (the energy of enlightenment to put it broadly), though we can have too much or too little of Rajas (the energy of action/creation) and Tamas (the energy of dissolution). Naturally when we awake in the morning, our Rajastic energy increases/Tamasic decreases and we become active, and in the evening, Tamasic energy increases/Rajasic decreases and we slow down and become tired. It's a large area and a little more complex than I can describe here, but these 3 governing energies can be applied to anything in life.

In terms of what you were saying though, laying down relaxes the muscles in the body and hence Rajasic energy decreases, allowing Tamasic energy to become more prominent, hence why we naturally become more sleepy. If sitting whilst meditating, our muscles relax to an extent but we still hold a posture that requires the head to be held up etc. allowing the Rajasic to balance more with the Tamasic (as well as other concepts of energy flow around the body i.e. microcosmic orbit etc.) due to the positioning of the meridian channels.

This is why I would always recommend a sitting position for meditation rather than laying down.

;)

Hugs

Giles

15. 7Michael7

7Michael7 New Member

Not so easy for me to reverse :eek: I love ear wax and get sick everytime I see a candy bar. A little help please :confused:

Just kidding, I still eat candy bars

ps: I do not eat ear wax
    Pss: This was an attempt at humor

16. MeditationMan

MeditationMan Member

What's with the thumb/index finger thing? Do you guys do that when you meditate? What does it do?

17. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi MeditationMan,

As I said above, it relates to NLP anchoring, though in 'spiritual' terms they would talk about it creating a circuit of energy (which in reality is what NLP is working with too).

Here's the first link I found via google which describes it in basic terms...

NLP Anchoring

or

NLP Techniques - Anchoring

(search "NLP achoring" on google to find more)

Hope that helps

Hugs

Giles

18. Edge83

Edge83 Member

Staying awake

I used to have this problem early on- a little bit of grape juice (one without artificial sugar or sweetener) always kept me awake long enough to do a session.

19. Edwin

Edwin Member

I had not heard about the grape juice before.
    I do know that apples are known to work better than coffee when starting the day. Since eating is not recommended prior to meditation, some biological, unfiltered applejuice might do the job for you. If you have a juicer, try grapes and apples together !