1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Meditation for Anxiety

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Graham, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Graham

Graham Member

I`ve had a problem for the past six months with General Anxiety Disorder.seen G.P.,purchased programmes and relaxation tapes and many other remedies.3weeks ago,I downloaded Michael`s meditation training.
    I have felt much better since beginning this excellent habit,which has helped calm my busy mind.Trouble is,I need to find time in the morning to duplicate the 20 minutes I enjoy in the evening.I also have Lifeflow 10 which is very relaxing.I`m having a problem with the mantra,as I seem to prefer concentrating on breathing.Is Mantra use more beneficial?Other comment I would appreciate is on Michael`s advice to use Lifeflow 10 exclusively.Need reassurance on this as I really like my 20 minutes of silence.
    To any worriers needing encouragement,please persist with meditation,it is the answer.
    Serenity to all!

2. manx

manx Member

graham
    why dont you set your alarm half an hour early then either lay in bed to meditate or get up and sit in your usual position ? .......sorted.....good luck:)
    gary

3. Michael Mackenzie

Michael Mackenzie Owner

Hey Graham,

You're very new to mantra meditation and you seem like you may be trying very hard to focus on your mantra, try not to try so hard. It takes a little practice and patience using any traditional type of meditation inlcluding mantra.

I would persist using discover meditation for a few more weeks, perhaps even without LifeFlow for this time. It may also be a good idea to meditate with my guidance again a few times just to make sure you're not missing out on something subtle but important. This way you will feel more comfortable with your regular meditation practice before moving on.

LifeFlow Exclusively:

Most companies who market brainwave entrainment tracks similar to LifeFlow promote them for sole use without traditional meditation. Some people swear by the results but from my experience, testing and knowledge, this type of audio technology works far greater alongside a traditional meditation practice.

How does it feel when you repeat your mantra? Does it feel soothing? Melodic?

Michael :)

4. Graham

Graham Member

Michael

Thanks for your interest. I see where your coming from regarding my mantra being melodic,I use hum saw to synchronise with my breathing.I`ve looked at other mantras,but opinion seems to advise against changing,but it is a priviledge to learn from you and I will eagerly take any advice.You will know that I am trying to reduce or even eliminate anxiety,how much time should I devote? Currently 40mins Lifeflow,10 mins on timer,almost every evening.I am particularly busy in the early morning and don`t find the time,but I am going to try as I`m sure it would help with daytime "trials"

5. Michael Mackenzie

Michael Mackenzie Owner

Mantra and breathing

Hey Graham,

Change your mantra until you feel it's right for you. If the first sound you choose later feels unsuitable I encourage you to try another.

You should experiment until you find something that feels right for you. Try and stick with it for a short time and get a feel for using it.

A few tips when choosing your mantra:

Choose a word which has a pleasant ringing sound to you.

If you decide to create your own mantra, be sure to avoid any emotionally 'charged' words such as words that convey too intense images or feelings.

The word you choose should evoke a feeling of tranquillity.

how much time should I devote?

You will do just fine listening to LifeFlow 10 and using your mantra for 40 minutes each day. The more you meditate the faster you will see positive results but just be aware of over-meditation and too much release of pent up tension and emotions.

You seem to be deliberately synchronizing your breath with your mantra, I would try and avoid this as you restrict the natural flow of your mantra from becoming faster, slower, softer and louder or whatever it wants to do. Your mantra should be allowed to take on a life of its own and not be restricted by you consciously synchronizing it with your breathing.

With regards to your 20 minutes of silence. Perhaps you could have a brief period before your mantra meditation which you dedicate to just silence and deep breathing. This will only improve your actual meditation time.

Michael :)

6. Edwin

Edwin Member

strange how one can think he knows everything there is to know about mantra's and meditation and still learn new things when reading threads like these.

I am of course talking about myself !

highly interesting thread, and I like reading tips from the master himself !

( right now Michael is twisting his toes over "the master" part :p )