1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Meditation Experiment - Settling Down

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Michael David, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Edwin

Edwin Member

What gave you the idea that consciousness currently has a shape ?
    This illusion of matter ?
    The seemingly dual world of you and I ?

What of it is real ?

It's striking how the very thing observing the world of matter is in fact without matter itself !
    Just think, what material qualities does consciousness have ?

Is it even part of this world ? Part of time ? Does consciousness age ? Does it manifest in any other moment than the Now ? Does it exist yesterday ? does it exist 5 minutes from now into the future ?
    What else is the Now but the portal through which consciousness observes the seeming passing of time in the world of matter and duality ?
    And understanding that I am the consciousness observing the body and mind, the world and the moving digits of the clock, am I part of this world or merely the observer in the Now ? Forever Now ?

:cool:

2. Michael David

Michael David Member

Hi Edwin and Karmoh

Pondering on the thought of the "shape" of consciousness I was thinking that "consciousness" is.

What we call consciousness is mostly a map but not the territory. At man's level of evolution being able to form words and words into concepts and concepts into a philosophy, the image of consciousness developes.

As man or some other form evolves that has the ability to perceive or attune or acquire more connection to what we call consciousness it might even be called something else. Maybe a term to describe a three or more dimensional map rather than the two dimensional maps we use. Currently it seems to be beyond our level of attunement to "consciousness" to form it into words.

Like a two dimensional being trying to perceive a three dimensional world. The intersection of a sphere passing through a two dimensional world would could only be seen as a circle.

Having thought that and as you had written " It's striking how the very thing observing the world of matter is in fact without matter itself !",
    the felt sense of these questions and thoughts brings joy to my heart and if not real the best illusion I have ever experienced.

Thank you for connecting from other vantage points of the earth.

Michael

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  3. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Hi Edwin, Michael,

:)
    For the last 6 months, there has been clarity to my life or should I say, life itself, not a constant clarity but on realising that there is no constant, you can begin to realise when resting, working or at play, it’s there, all knowing, waiting for me to notice. During one of these moments, a thought arose

“Consciousness just wants to see itself.”

This is perplexing, as thought never touches the actuality of what is, thought has never been here, in this moment. So what is this consciousness that is looking at the thought that is arising?

Is this consciousness which I truly am separate from life itself?

Life is one inseparable reality in the now. therefore, there is nothing separate from the rest of what is occurring. There is no duality until the story of mind begins, so there is no separation temporally, except through thought. There is only the present. If I am not separate from life itself, I have to step into a dream of thought in order to be me.

Consciousness as a word or thought is only ever pointing to the actual. But we can never truly see the actual for what it is - a nameless space in which everything arises.

Peace :)

4. Michael David

Michael David Member

Row row row your boat (your life) gently down the stream (of time)
    Merrily merrily merrily merrily
    Life is but a dream

I had sung this as a kid and again to my own. Now I can see it was not just a bunch of silly rhyming words.

Sometimes kids rhymes are the truest words of all.
    Michael

5. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

:D

Shudder to be around for long, those who have lost their capacity for innocent joys
    Jim Riley

6. Michael David

Michael David Member

One more time around - with beginners mind

It always amazes me how one thought turns and weaves into another and uncovers a wealth of insight. This thread started with the taste of an orange and some dirt in a glass of water and morphed into a deam floating down a stream.

The original thought was to use a sense contact to enhance the experience of meditation. Like preparing for putting a golf ball you first look at the position of the ball on the green. You walk along side the planned path of the ball to judge the slope of the ground with your feet. Both the sense contact of the eyes and the feeling sense contact of your feet along the ground give your mind more of a feel for the way you want to putt the ball.

In the same manner go back and read the first thread. Mix some dirt in a glass of water and watch it settle. Let the water become clear again. The sense contact of the eyes watching the water, like the eye and feet contact of golf willl give your mind more of a feel for what is wants. And that is to settle down in meditaion. Imagine as you meditate the feel of watching the dirt settling in the water. Let the sense of the inside energies of your body and mind settle like the dirt when you sit to meditate.

At last count there were over 450 views of this thread. Have you tried the experiment or just thought about it? The map is not the territory. Have beginners mind, again, start over, go around one more time.

And share your experience on this thread. Did watching the dirt settle have a feeling? Did this relate to your meditation? Are there any other hands on meditation aids that you have experienced?