1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Meditation Enviroment

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Leumas, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Leumas

Leumas Member

Hi. I've been meditating for a couple months now (not continuously ;)) but let me explain quickly. My room is on the 3rd floor of my house, there are two tvs, games consoles, laptops, my house is right next to a busy car park so i often hear loud noises from there, plus theres a cuckoo clock in my house which goes off every hour which for me makes it impossible to break the hour mark. I cant think of anywhere without driving or using public transport that would be quiet and private enough.
    I feel as though its not me thats stopping my meditation from progressing but the enviroment im in when im doing it, im wondering if anyone can give me some ideas, tips or the sort of locations you use. Where do you feel comfortable?

2. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

3. GilesC

GilesC Member

Polly has posted an excellent link to a reply by Ta-tsu-wa.

Likewise, I don't see sounds and noise as being a distraction, though I can understand it can seem difficult at first.
    When I was attending Buddhist Meditation classes, these were held in a local building that allowed for different groups of people to hire out the rooms (as well as the 'hall' for larger events). Typically our environment was pretty quiet apart from the odd person in another group going to the toilet (the sound of the flushing, not anything else! hehe). However there were a couple of times when there was significant noise. One time it was "womens day" and there were hundreds of women in the 'hall' all singing "I'm every woman" by Chaka Khan, and the other time there was a rock band giving a concert in the 'hall', which as you can guess, made plenty of noise. Each time, it was good meditation practice as, rather than become distracted and feel I couldn't meditate, I used the fact that I'd been distracted as an indication that I needed to bring my focus back to my meditation, rather than becoming attached to the distraction itself. After the meditation, several people commented that they hadn't been able to meditate but several, like myself, had found it good practice in being free of attachment and maintaining meditation focus.

I've also meditating in the middle of a village hall, when undertaking a workshop there, during the lunch break. I literally was sat on a chair in the middle whilst everyone else went about their business. It was quite a 'spiritual' type workshop, and my stillness seemed to attract others who also pulled up chairs and sat with me to meditate.

Noise doesn't have to be seen as something negative, it can be used to help practice meditation if you choose.

Hugs

Giles

4. Leumas

Leumas Member

Ah thankyou, thankyou. I'll keep these things in mind. I'm also wondering though, whether meditating in the same place all the time is bad or not? Although im talking about my room, i sometimes just dont feel very comfortable like i just want to go find a field or something. And to be honest none of the noises are too bad, apart from the clock it is so annoying! But thanks again! :)

5. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Leumas,

just wondering what type of meditation you are using and how long are you wanting to meditate for each time? Your comment about the cuckoo clock going off every hour suggests that you are trying to meditate for more than an hour.

Here's a suggestion: You could download "Discover Meditation" which is free and has helped many people to meditate (some have even been unsuccessful for 20 years until they used this easy course) You can also download the free LifeFlow Demo track which is 14 minutes of pure entrainment (no sales talk) and play that while you meditate.

Here's a quote from a lady who has meditated with LifeFlow for often less than 10 minutes a day:-

"I need to tell you I am over the moon!! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

I can only begin to tell you how grateful I am to have found and experienced LifeFlow meditation. Firstly, I need to thank you for enabling me to meditate in less than a week - that is so fantastic I know but there is something else I just could not wait to tell you...

I can honestly say, since listening daily for the past 3 months to LifeFlow meditation, my life has completely changed for the better. The way I feel, act and react to situations and people is completely different - I feel so calm and in control of my thoughts and emotions.

I even seem to attract more kind and caring people into my life. My family say how more relaxed and happy I am. I believe LifeFlow meditation has not only helped me to meditate but completely improved my life!

Seriously, I am astounded and so very happy with all the changes I can only attribute to LifeFlow meditation. By listening daily for often less than 10 minutes I have achieved so much.

I cannot recommend LifeFlow enough! Thank you sincerely. Lindsay x"

I have posted the above quote from the following link:-

http://www.project-meditation.org/c...uccess-stories-lifeflow-meditation-2-0-a.html

Here's another link to some great advice. It's rather long but well worth the read:-

http://www.project-meditation.org/c...nciples-meditation-entrainment.html#post12298

Hope this helps and wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)

6. Percival

Percival New Member

Thanks for sharing.