1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Meditation caused swelling

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by dani, Aug 21, 2014.

1. dani

dani New Member

Hello

I have been practicing candle meditation for about a year now(approximately 20 minutes per day). Problem is that while practicing, I experience swelling inside my left nostril. If I stop meditating, then in a few weeks the swelling goes down and if I start practicing again, then in a few weeks the swelling occurs again. Does anyone have idea why this happening and how to prevent it?
    Hope You can help. I really enjoy meditating and would not want to give up on that.

2. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi dani and welcome to the community :)

meditation is simply entering the quiet place within and the technique you choose helps you to focus. The technique helps take your focus away from the myriad of thoughts of the mind which obscure the stillness of the present moment.

Quite a number of people who focus on the breath as their technique, have posted problems with their breathing, yet breathing is automatic and natural.

I cannot see how being in a meditative state could cause swelling anywhere and would probably think the scent or the smoke from a candle would possibly be the culprit.

Here's a link to a thread that may be of great help to you...

http://www.project-meditation.org/c...nciples-meditation-entrainment.html#post12298

Hope this helps and please let us know how you get on. Wishing you much peace and joy :) :) :)

3. GilesC

GilesC Member

Well... breathing SHOULD be automatic and natural. Unfortunately a lot of people follow their breathing to the point that they (perhaps unconsciously) try and regulate it and make it follow a steady rhythm and a steady depth of breathing. That is not how to breath naturally and can cause physical issues.

Dani,

Whilst your meditating, how are you breathing? Just through your nose? through your mouth? or both? and if both are you specifically breathing in through one and out of the other?

There are 'breathing exercises' that can be done to help balance the breathing and other benefits which you may try. Look up 'Alternate Nostril Breathing' for a description. (There are other breathing techniques too).
    Also, it is considered that the way our energy body changes throughout the day, can cause blockages in the nasal passages, and these can alternate, such that at one time of day one nostril will be less able to breath, and later it will switch to the other.
    Of course there can also be issues around allergens (dust, pet hair etc.) that some people are effected by.

Hugs

Giles