1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

meditation anxiety

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by richo123, Sep 12, 2013.

1. richo123

richo123 Member

Hello i suffer from anxiety and i am going to try mediation. I have been to counseling and finds it helped a little bit but I don't think I'm that bad because I haven't been put on medication. Just wondered firstly if meditation can help anxiety and secondly I heard meditation could make anxiety worse if there any truth if that.

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Richo and welcome to the Project Meditation community,

Meditation can certainly be of benefit for Anxiety.
    It isn't necessarily true that meditation will make anxiety worse, but it will depend on what is the root causes of the anxiety. If these causes are current things that you're aware (family problems, work problems, money problems etc.) then meditation will certainly help to alleviate the anxiety. What can also happen though, is that meditation can allow things that are suppressed from the past to come up, so if you have any deep seated problems from the past that are underlying causes of anxiety, then these memories and emotions may arise as a result of the meditation. However, being aware that this can happen, and keeping that in mind, will allow you to recognise them for what they are when they do arise, and you can take it as an opportunity to choose to let those things go or deal with them in whatever way you feel most appropriate; also bearing in mind that they are in the past and are just memories, not something that needs to be with you in the present moment.

You may also like to look up some complementary therapies, to help and get support for any anxiety you experience. Things such as cognitive behavioural therapy, hypnotherapy, NLP, Timeline therapy and/or Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT for short) are all beneficial techniques and methods to help. Some you can learn for yourself (such as EFT) though typically it's a good idea to work with a therapist/practitioner who will be able to offer support and guidance.

Let us know how you get on.

Hugs

Giles

3. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator