1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Meditation and music

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Big T, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Big T

Big T Member

:cool:Does anyone have an opinion on meditation and music as different from life flow? For years, I have had some of my deepest meditation experiences while good jazz was playing (Miles Davis, Coltrane, Weather Report etc). Interested in reading your thoughts.

2. Still Waters

Still Waters Member

I am a big fan of all the artistes you mention. I couldn't imagine myself meditating to Birdland or Bitches Brew though :D

3. sage dweller

sage dweller Member

For me it's Carlos Nakai and Charles Littleleaf -- Native American flutists.

4. Sweet_Iza

Sweet_Iza Member

i love listening to any calm, instrumental music. No specific artist.

5. Ras

Ras Member

i sometimes listen to a band called sigur ros when i either cant sleep or if i am doing something creative...for some reason that music almost seem to entrain my brain hehe...maybe i should try to meditate to it at some point...

6. jeanie

jeanie Member

Hiya,

Well for me i find certain music very relaxing and soothing. I also have listened to music when meditating and found it very beneficial.

I say if it works for you....then its all good.

:)

7. Marina_J

Marina_J Member

Meditation and music cannot be separated. Music springs out of the heart or the soul. It is the language of the soul and it communicates directly with the heart and soul. A truly inspiring music is almost a substitute for meditation. Like meditation it transports you to another world. The only difference is that while you have to make conscious effort to arrive at a state of meditation, the inspirational music just carries you off on its wings. It focuses your diffused thoughts at one point which is its central theme. In case the theme of the vocal music coincides with that of your meditation, you are doubly blessed.

8. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Marina,

I know where you're coming from, though not sure that applies to all music artists. There does seem to be a lot out there who are in it for the ego and money, churning out the same old rubbish over and over. You can tell the good musicians by their dedication to doing it from the heart (which differs all the time) and it's those who are the ones who can put on a show without needing to mime, or do it to a backing track without live music etc. Good music can bring your focus to a single point, and that is a benefit of music in becoming present.

Hugs

Giles

9. medbenefits

medbenefits Member

Yes music sooths deeply,i have experienced many times wheather you are meditating or not.it directly effects your body too,with heart and soul,so we dance wildly on correspond beats:D

10. mediationlearner

mediationlearner New Member

music making a difference

Hello, I agree with you completely. After reading your post, I started to think about how music takes me away to a different place. An example in my experience is when I'm watching a movie and sometimes the type of music they play for the intro to a movie or in a scene really puts me right in that place of the scene and allows me to be in that moment and really take it in. Take Care and Thank You.