1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Meditation and Motivation

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Luffy, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Luffy

Luffy Member

Hello everyone.

So as the title of the post reveals, I had a question about motivation and meditation. I've been meditating using lifeflow for almost 3 months now (anywhere from 20 to 120 minutes a day, depending on my schedule) and am currently on Level 8, and while the tracks have been fantastic in terms of helping me relax and lower my stress/anxiety levels (which were extremely high prior to beginning) I've been very worried recently about how I'll be able to continue to motivate myself / retain my "competitive edge" if I can no longer utilize my stress levels to sort of push myself to get work done (as I've always done).

As a side note, I have ADD/ADHD and have always had trouble focusing/concentrating, and as a college student trying to succeed in the unstructured environment of the US university system I've always had to rely on my work ethic to overcome my clear inefficiencies when it comes to studying (which has inevitably led to an inordinate amount of stress/anxiety, but such has become the only way I know how to motivate myself).

Recently I saw a page on here noting that the mid-low range beta frequencies were considered helpful for those with ADD/ADHD, and so I was considering downloading a brain entrainment track of said frequency from a third party to listen to while studying, but I was wondering if that would be detrimental to the progress of doing lifeflow.

Any thoughts/opinions about mid-low beta brainwave entrainment and/or how to motivate oneself with lifeflow would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

2. m2244

m2244 Member

Luffy,

I wish I could answer your question about using LifeFlow specifically but one suggestion I would give you would be to, during meditation, see yourself acting and being the person you want to become. In other words, watch yourself as if you were a separate person. Watch yourself being motivated as if you were watching a movie of yourself in action. Not a "someday I will be this way" but a "I am this way now" vision.

Stick with it and believe the change is taking place.

Good luck.

3. Luffy

Luffy Member

M2244,

Thank you very much for the response, and I will try to put your advice into practice throughout my subsequent meditation sessions. In doing so, however, should I incorporate that simultaneously as I focus on my mantra, or is that something I should do beforehand, afterwards, or in a different session entirely from my mantra meditation?

Thanks in advance.

4. m2244

m2244 Member

That is a great question. I am not an expert at meditation, maybe someone else can answer this better than I can at this point. But, I would suggest that you use this technique while in meditative state. Not sure if it should be separate from other meditation or not.

Whatever you do, remember to persist. When we try new things, we may not always see instant results. To become really good at anything, we need to practice, alter our methods if needed, and practice some more.

Best of luck.