1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Meditation & Adult ADD

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by LookingForTheCalm, Nov 23, 2011.

1. LookingForTheCalm

LookingForTheCalm New Member

I have STRONG ADD. It interferes with pretty much everything. I have a guided meditation CD and Lifeflow. Sometimes I can meditate for half an hour, with a sort-of-clear mind, and feel relaxed afterwards. Other times, such as just a few minutes ago, no matter how much I try to focus on one thing, I still see images in my minds eye, my mind races, and I can't seem to relax at all.

Do any of you meditate in spite of ADD? Do you have any tips for a fellow such as me?

Thanks! :)

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

I don't have ADD (not that I've noticed anyway), but can say that it's perfectly normal for thoughts (as sounds, images etc.) to arise and distract us when we meditate or are just simply trying to focus on one thing.

The best advice I can offer is to stick at it. I'm sure the meditation will become easier with time and this could help to strengthen your focus and help with your ADD.

Hugs

Giles

3. Hazelkay

Hazelkay Member

Hi there Lookingforthecalm

'Sometimes I can meditate for half an hour, with a sort-of-clear mind, and feel relaxed afterwards.'

This sounds like the ADD is not interfering with the meditation time, many would give their right arm to have this!

As Giles says, meditation periods are very variable, even when one is very experienced.

Sometimes 'trying to focus on one thing' just increases our tension. Just allowing the images/thoughts/feelings to be there and be aware of them coming up and then fading away all by themselves is a great meditation and will allow you to relax. You only need to come back to your one thing when you realise you have caught one of these images etc and are running with it, so you can then let it go.

If you are not feeling good at the end of your meditation period, take a few minutes just to relax. Breathe very slightly deeper than normal and then relax on the out breath. You can just do a 'global' relax or go through different parts separately. Deliberately think kind, peaceful and accepting thoughts about yourself.

peace and joy:)
    H

4. brozen

brozen Member

hi,
    i think some of the best advice I have been given is to avoid thinking that getting distracted = failure.
    the uncontrolled mind is a turbulent thing by nature. getting annoyed/fed up with its random nature is like getting angry at a waterfall for making too many bubbles.

just accept that the mind acts in this way. by reacting to your mind you are stirring it up even more. sometimes i like to see what my mind is up to. what thought it is currently thinking and then what thought it skips over to. they are often completely irrelevant and its kind of funny/strange that such random thoughts come into my head.

over time, once you have practiced accepting the current state of your mind. your mind will become more calm and meditation will seem less of a chore

happy journey