1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Meditating positions

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by HEX, Dec 30, 2007.

1. HEX

HEX Member

In what position do you prefer to meditate? For some months, I used to sit in a chair, but I recently changed to use my bed because the chair didn't have any kinds of neck support and I would always end up sitting in strange positions.

However when I'm in my bed I don't seem to be able to consentrate as much as I did in my chair. I've still only used my bed for two meditation sessions so it might just have to do with getting used to the new position:p

2. Julielz

Julielz Member

Hi Hex...

I, too, have meditated in a chair, in bed, and in a million other places it seems. I find that no matter where I am, the most important aspects are as follows:

1.) Erect posture; believe it or not, slumping is harder on the back and body than sitting upright.
    2.) An ease about the sitting. Trying too hard actually stiffens me. I tend to like support in the form of a back rest. If knees go numb, neck feels unsupported, pants too tight, or jewelry in the way, my attention will gravitate toward my circumstances.
    3.) An open-ness about the sitting. This is probably a bit more personal. The more open I am with my hands, my heart, etc... the deeper I go.

As a yoga teacher, here's what I instruct students sitting on a floor:

In a cross-legged seated position, manually inner spiral your thighs. Take the flesh of you thighs and rotate them inward, then take the flesh of the buttocks and scoop that outward. This should serve to widen the sitting bones.

Lean a tiny bit forward, then backward, finding your perfect center. Rest your hands lightly on your thighs, turning the palms open towards the sky.

Turn your attention to your neck. With eyes closed, bring your ears into alignment with your shoulders. Feel the back of your neck lengthening as you do this.

Now take everything we have done and choose to be easy with it all, choose to be soft and relaxed.

Voila!

If you continue to meditate in bed- oh, unclear, are you sitting or lying down? If sitting, make sure that your spine is nice and straight, no slumping forward of the shoulders. Slumped shoulders will fatigue the back. A pillow used as a lower back rest is always a nice touch : )

Have fun!

Love, Julie

3. wendy

wendy Member

I use my yoga mat and a rolled up towel, positioned under my neck for support. The roll should only be the size needed to fit the cavern between your neck and the floor, so if the roll is too big, unroll it a bit, or use a smaller towel. My arms are out at my side, palms up. If I do yoga before I meditate, (one of my daily sessions usually follows my morning yoga), I keep socks and a sheet handy. Yoga heats my body up and if there are any drafts at floor level, I don't want to be hampered by chills. -Wendy

p.s. I should mention, I guess, that I'm lying down.

4. HEX

HEX Member

Thanks for the answers!
    I'm lying in my bed, and I'll try it a bit longer to see if it helps if I get more used to it:rolleyes: Im using a "Tempur" madrass and pillow so it's real confortable

I'll try out your suggestions if it doesn't work;)

5. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Creature of comfort

When I did T.M. and other meditation methods I was taught to sit upright with my back supported. It was always a chore to me and I didn't really benefit too much. I am not putting down other kinds of meditation at all, just simply explaining what works incredibly well for me. I have always Listened to LifeFlow in bed and have achieved amazing results. I have tried once or twice sitting up but I enjoy my daily routine so much and find it really energizing when I lie down in total comfort. At first I used to fall asleep sometimes and to be honest this never bothered me because I thought I must have needed the rest. Sometimes I would feel very tired for a while afterwards. After some months of moving down the levels gradually I found I hardly ever fell asleep anymore and simply felt really refreshed. I experience quite often a number of unusual yet interesting sensations which I understand are simply me completely relaxing and I have observed and dealt with traumatic situations from my past in a very uninvolved way. I now vary which levels I listen too and I do have my favourite tracks. Like a varied diet, I like to enjoy the various benefits of Alpha, Theta and Delta. By the way I always get into bed or I get cold. I have never experienced so much consistant joy and happiness. I hope you find the same :) :) :)

6. HEX

HEX Member

Hi!
    I've now been meditating (in a lying position) every day since I started this thread, and I can say it has become much easier for me to relax when lying in my bed. I also find that if i listen to LifeFlow through ear phones, it is easier to meditate:D

Thanks for all the answers:)

7. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Happy Birthday Hex

Happy Birthday Hex. Happiness and joy to you on this special day :) :) :)

8. Edwin

Edwin Member

Yes, happy birthday HEX !

I myself used to meditate through Zen, and because of that I have gotten used to and enjoy the half lotus position:
    [​IMG].
    I have never been able to achieve full lotus:
    [​IMG]
    as I am just not that flexible, but half lotus is more comfortable on my back for me than just sitting cross-legged. I have to, or else when I try lying down I fall asleep within 10 minutes :eek:

when I am at my business I can also meditate in my chair, that seems to work for me too. I might have to quit that practice because when I get my employees they might look at me a bit strange when they see me sitting with my eyes closed and my mp3 player headphones in my ears...

Ah well, we can all at least be glad Michael's method doesn't involve chanting OOOHHHHHMMMMMMMM out loud :p

[​IMG]

9. HEX

HEX Member

Thank you all very much!!:) I just came out of a very relaxing session right now so I'll have to try out those metodes of yours tomorow Edwin;)

10. MEJC

MEJC Member

I myself have tried various positions. My favourite one at the moment is to just use my comfortable chair. The back isn't completely straight up, it is leaning back slightly, but for some reason this feels the most comfortable to me.

Another position I have sometimes used it to raise myself up slightly on some cushions and sit on the floor with my legs in half lotus position I think it is.

Sometimes I have also had success by kneeling with a pillow between my feet and legs.

Does your spine have to be completely straight up?

11. neilcamp

neilcamp Member

Hey Hex! My birthday was a day after yours - just a difference in years - about 56 I think!! Hope you had a great day, Capricorn!

12. neilcamp

neilcamp Member

I changed my meditaion position today, even though I hadn't seen this thread. My family gave me an iPod for my birthday yesterday, so I loaded the LifeFlow programme onto it. Normally I use it on my computer and sit upright in a comfortable chair, but as I have a 'neck' problem, I have to move my head around a bit during meditation. Today I lay on the bed and meditated for the first time ever in that position. It was great! I was very comfortable, I didn't fall asleep and came out of the 40 minute session with a great feeling of well-being. I was always under the impression that you MUST sit upright in a chair to meditate properly, but lieing down worked for me. In fact it was as good as my best meditation ever!

13. HEX

HEX Member

Good to hear:) I've also experienced some good meiditating sessions while lying down, but lately I've had som not so good:( Howewer I'll try out some different positions since I'm still in the starting/learning process, so I guess I'll update this thread as I discover anything in my journey for the MY best meditation position;)

14. MEJC

MEJC Member

Aren't you in danger of falling asleep if you lie down?

15. HEX

HEX Member

I am sometimes feeling like I'm waking up from a short nap during my meditation, but that "nap" only lasts for few minutes and I can't remember any dreams after it. I sometimes even don't know where I am when I "wake up":p but i still keep repeating my mantra when I'm waking up.
    I think this is some kind of deep(er) meditation that I have only achieved while I'm lying down.:D

16. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Belated birthday wishes Neilcamp

Hope you had a great day too!! Sorry I missed the notice or maybe it didn't show up. Anyway, hope it's a great year for you. Happiness and joy to you :) :) :)

17. MEJC

MEJC Member

I used to listen to the program Brainwave Generator a few years ago, and I used to lie down for that, but sometimes I would be in danger of falling asleep. I've always heard that you need to be sat upright to meditate.