1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Meditating on the Self

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by GilesC, May 31, 2011.

1. Midnight

Midnight Member

Thank you Edwin, it's been quite a while since we've spoken!

I think it's important to periodically express that the world of seeming duality is also a perfectly legitimate expression. Mind, ego, whatever aren't things that need to be dissolved. Ego, just like any other spiritual teaching, is merely a pointer. It points to the person...when it gets taken too seriously is when we need a reality check.

Otherwise we start to believe that the absolute and impersonal is all there is. We reject what we perceive as duality in any form, and that rejection is just another expression of separation. The world of form that exists in and of the formless is extremely beautiful, and I love just being in it, talking to other people, as if they are other people and as if we are completely connected beyond anything the physical senses could fathom. I love using the word I, and it is also realized that this I is only a thought...a temporary part of this existence. Thinking is such a wonderful tool, and the concept of 'concepts' is amazing as well, but the most important things that are ever learned are the things we already know.

Time to get back to Calculus homework! Haha

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hazel,

I think I've mentioned this before on another thread, but you and I seem to visualise the universe in a very similar way... as if it's one big web of interconnected energy that just moves and shapes itself as time goes on. One moment, it's one thing, the next moment it's another. ;)

Hugs

Giles

3. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Thank you Midnight, :)

The belief in separation is an extreme view. If, however, through the process of non-duality we begin emphasising viewpoints at the other end of the scale, such as nothing exists, we have gone too far. We have denied conventional existence completely. I have been battling instead of embracing.
    Good pointing Midnight.

So an initial question might be if we are seeing through the belief in separation, how can we also embrace all duality?

At first, these statements seem inconsistent. This is exactly why non-duality cannot be kept as an intellectual discussion only.

So, as there is less and less need to stick to extreme viewpoints. We relax in to this awareness we see that we do not need to stop thinking or censor ourselves. Thinking becomes more flexible and open. We can speak openly and freely, knowing that we are speaking of conventional existence, not separate existence.

Somewhere along I got caught in mind games and started to play with words and thoughts. ;)

Peace :)

4. Hazelkay

Hazelkay Member

thinking, being and doing

While it's lovely and heartwarming to be of like mind - thanks Giles:D - the most learning comes from having to consider other points of view with an open mind and letting them be there to inform your own functioning as a part of the whole.

Having been a thinking and doing person for a large part of my life, then a mainly being person, I think I am now rounding into a being, doing and thinking person and accepting all as part of the spectrum.

The best thing about the forum is that - thanks to the individuals contributing, it feels like a very safe place to open the heart and mind to view, knowing that (most of the time!) you will not be attacked because someone holds a different view.

peace and joy to you all:)

5. Bryan555

Bryan555 Member

It is a puzzle to me why we have so many Christians and Buddhists in the world; yet so very few Gilesians and Edwinists.

Who can explain this mystery?

6. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

No Mystery, the world is full of 'ism's (ok I changed the end in to an 'ism for clarity) :)

Gilesism - Stuff is Stuff even when its not stuff
    Edwinism - Maybe Stuff happens, maybe it doesn't
    Taoism - Stuff happens
    Buddhism - If Stuff happens, it's not really Stuff
    Islam - If Stuff happens, it's the will of Allah
    Protestantism - Stuff happens because you don't work hard enough
    Judaism - Why does this Stuff always happen to us
    Hinduism - This Stuff happened before
    Catholicism - Stuff happens because you're bad
    Hare Krishna - Stuff happens rama rama
    T.V. Evangelism - Send more Stuff
    Atheism - No Stuff
    Jehovah’s Witness - Knock knock, Stuff happens
    Hedonism - There's nothing like a good Stuff happening
    Christian Science - Stuff happens in your mind
    Rastafarianism - Let's smoke this Stuff
    Stoicism - This Stuff doesn't bother me

No offence intended...only in jest :):p:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  7. Hazelkay

Hazelkay Member

Thoughts, rather than explanations -

I don't think Giles has ever issued edicts that one has to attend Church or lose your job

I don't think Edwin has ever burnt anyone at the stake because their belief does not correspond with his

I don't think Giles has ever gone on a mission to convert others to his beliefs

I don't think Edwin has promised everlasting hell to those who do not worship Him

I don't think Giles has promised a place in Paradise to those who worship Him.

I think the Buddha would be horrified that there are 'Buddhists'

I think Jesus would be as incensed as He was in the temple at what 'Christians' have done and are doing in his name.

The words 'religion is the opiate of the people' come to mind.

enough of thinking!

peace and joy:)

8. GilesC

GilesC Member

LOL! You guys (and gals) made me chuckle there.

Of course, my church doors are always open if you want to talk, providing you do it MYYYYYYYY WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY (ahhh, a bit of Frank Sinatra came to me). :D

Gilesians... I like that....

Hugs

Giles

9. GilesC

GilesC Member

Yep. Agreed. As British Telecom used to say... it's good to talk.

:D

Hugs

Giles

10. Midnight

Midnight Member

Yeah exactly! I was at this point not too long ago myself. I wondered how everything could ever be one despite all the seeming differences and the apparent spaces between individual objects. Not only that, but there was also this feeling of being able to act as an individual...how in the world could everything be one at all?

Well your answer is as good as mine, haha. Really wish I could, but no matter how I may try, there are no words or logic for this. Really, the only thing that leaves is that this is something beyond logic and reason. All I know is that the nature of the universe is not of separation, but of togetherness (just making up words now, haha.)

A while ago, I wrote a thread wondering if the mind has a user. This question at first didn't bug me, but eventually began gnawing at my insides. Then I realized the only reason I felt this way is because it felt as if there was a separate person thinking and moving in this body, and then there was this other "true self" that only passively watches... The question and need for an answer fell away as I watched the feeling of separation dissolve. Our questions usually have answers, and they are usually only answers that are to be experienced.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, this oneness, is just the nature of the universe. How or why...I really have no idea. I only know that after all this time, it makes sense. It's really not a thing to grasp at with thought...thought is fleeting. It's what's there when all notions of what self, life, and the rest of the universe should be like fall away, even if only for a moment. Yet it is also there when there is a great desperation to find it. But still, I really don't know, and yet there's great relief and freedom in not knowing (intellectually!)

Well...you never know with Edwin... :D

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  11. Bryan555

Bryan555 Member

Hazelkay, you are probably correct that the Buddha would be appalled at the idea of "Buddhists".

Was it Gandhi who, when he asked his view of Christianity, replied: "It sounds like a very good idea. Somebody should try it." ?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011