1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Meditate once or twice a day?

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by Panthau, May 11, 2010.

1. Panthau

Panthau Member

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

Not sure what the "official" reason is, but I find meditating first thing in the morning helps me become more alert, awake and ready for the day and then meditating in the evening after work, helps me release the work day from any attachment I have and let's me enjoy a pleasant evening, feeling calm and relaxed for when I come to go to bed.

As for the length of time, I use Lifeflow first thing in the morning for 40 minutes and meditate for 20 minutes in the evening. Before I used lifeflow it was 20 minutes each.

Hugs

Giles

3. Panthau

Panthau Member

Ok thats for sure a good reason to do it twice a day. Besides that, its maybe that the subconscious recognizes it more if a meditative state sets in twice a day and therefore enhances the "expected" results.

4. GilesC

GilesC Member

Now to contemplate if the subconscious can recognise the empty meditative state.... hmmmm. ;)

5. Panthau

Panthau Member

Im not sure about that. But its a fact that we attract what we focus, and if we focus on changes and a better life, and give this focus a daily attention, then chances are good for it to happen. And paying attention twice a day, may increase the focus... thats what i meant :)

Nevertheless, im gonna go back in my timeless wheelchair where i can experience the unbelievable space of the now.

6. sliccy

sliccy Member

I'd like to ask a question, but I may come of as a snob which is not my intention.

But why do you ask others to answer a question about You? I mean, no one knows You like you know You. I think you should experiment with what works best for you, and go with that :)

-Andy

7. Panthau

Panthau Member

This was not particular meant for me, i thought it may be of interest for others too. But maybe you´re right.

8. Ta-tsu-wa

Ta-tsu-wa Member

I can't prove this, Pan, but I have a hunch part of the reason some organizations encourage two (or more) meditation sessions per day is to insure people get some practice time in every day. If I instruct you to practice once a day and you have (or find) some reason why you can't meditate for your normal session one day, that's it. You get no practice in that day. But if I tell you to practice two or more times per day and you get to your first scheduled practice session and find you won't be able to do it, there is still a chance you will make the time for your remaning session or sessions that day. That's certainly not the only reason for the twice a day recommendation but I'm sure it factors into the equation.

For myself, I prefer to have mini sessions spread throughout the day in addition to one longer session that I usually plan for the evening. Just a quick 2 or 3 minutes every hour or so seems to keep me feeling more consistently centered over the course of the day.

9. Panthau

Panthau Member

That could be a reason, i guess! I find it hard to meditate twice a day, dont know why. On the other hand i feel, i cant force it anyway. My mind keeps trying to grab "something", and then i get back to nearly no-mind where i just sit in the now to fall back into GRABBING, and it feels even more grabbing when i grabbed nothing for a while :D

So meditating twice a day, would bring my mind to even more trying to grab something, so i keep it one day for the moment. But i can imagine, if someone is ready for it, it could enhance the results greatly.

10. Panthau

Panthau Member

Im seeking my way to enlightemend, in the hope that i once recognize that theres nothing to seek. So im doing AYP. :)

Im working on a german translation, so that my mind has some food. Probably not interesting for anyone here lol

AYP (Advanced Yoga Practices)

11. sliccy

sliccy Member

Lol Pan, you already talk like you're enlightened. If you hadn't said it yourself that you aren't, I'd have assumed you are :)

12. Panthau

Panthau Member

Probably my smart mind, it always knows best :)

Im doing these advanced yoga practices since a few weeks, and i had this dream of being free... an undescribable feeling of being free. I barely could stand this feeling, as i had too cry so much in this dream.

Now 2 weeks after, i have these feelings of bliss and freedom, and the interesting thing about that (for my mind) is, that my mind has nothing to do with it! I couldnt explain myself where this bliss is coming from! Ok, probably it has something to do with the pranayama and the AYP practice, but there is no explanation for my mind, that would satisfy it.

It feels like my mind has nothing to do with anything. Its just there and talking all the time, with no real meaning.

Sure this feeling of freedom is just another wave in the ocean, but i enjoy it :)

13. Max S

Max S Member

i feel that meditation helps heal our mind and is a link to our control over the universe

14. GilesC

GilesC Member

I would suggest that it's rather a tool to aid us in letting go of the mind (which often controls us) and also letting go of control altogether, bringing us back to unity with the universe. We certainly wouldn't want to aim for control over the universe as that would surely be the ego at play.

Hugs

Giles

15. olmate

olmate Member

Hi Pan,

One way I have seen it couched is 20 minutes in the morning with the express intent of creating the fresh new day. The 20 minutes at the end of the day is reflection.

What other practice (if any) that one chooses to attach to the morning or evening meditations would pretty much depend on the path one chooses.

I have to admit the thought of creating my day each morning really resonates with me. Some also ask while creating the fresh new day for little "signs" through the day that the creation is manifesting. Maybe it is also a practice of being centred and noticing.

The reflection at the end of the day is also a special time. Nothing like "crisp clean sheets" as you settle down for the evening to renourish the Soul - haha!!

Nothing but the best,

Ol mate

16. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hi olmate,

Yep that seems a common way to handle it. I tried it in the morning, but im so dizzy that meditation makes me even dizzier... maybe the time will come when im clear enough to meditate in the morning, or im not that much distracted to do it at least twice a day. In the end, there should be a balance between doing and beeing, the rest isnt that important i guess.

Atb,
    Pan

17. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Member

focus

Thanks for the info...im meditating regular now. And i focus / visualise everyday all day..never short of anything...cool .have a great meditation...

18. olmate

olmate Member

Hi Pan,

Exactly!! The very first teacher I met had a very simple meditation instruction. Be still and say your mantra from begining to end. That was it.

At the time I couldn't believe that it was that simple so pretty much dismissed it. I was certain that it had to be much more complex, difficult and challenging. I started to look for complex breathing routines, different postures, incense burning, etc., etc.

I find it facinating how we like to make simple instructions into complex practice. So, I have come full circle. The only addition to my practice today is Lifeflow.

Nothing but the best.

Olmate

19. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Member

question meditation

I meditate now, but i seem to be losing the will to meditate. When I meditate I seem to get aggressive. Can anyone help me on this? :)

20. Edwin

Edwin Member

Yep ! Stop resisting !

You seem to think that this aggression is a bad thing. Something to prevent.
    Why should happyness be the "only emotion allowed" ?

All feelings and emotions occur in you, and just like thoughts, they come up and there is nothing you can do about that. You can only resist the emotion once it occurs. So that means that it is allready there, and you can only re-act to it.
    Just like one should not give attention to certain behaviour of a child, you should not feed the emotion, in this case aggression, with your attention.

Allow it to come up, be there, and pass over just like the cloud analogy that Michael uses in the free meditation course.
    If it doesn't go away, that is ok too. Obviously it is trying to tell you something. Just observe it, watch it, but don't get caught up in it.

feelings and thoughts come and go effortlessly. The only effort is in resisting them, and/or getting caught up in them. Both requires energy from you.
    If you don't feed it energy, how can it grow ?

And about the losing the will to meditate: It will pass :)