1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

massive concern over life flow....help!!

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by BS, Nov 10, 2009.

1. BS

BS Member

i've gone and done it!! i've listen to someone who doesnt agree with entrainment meditation!!

A lady who i work with has told me that she studied this for 13 year and it is very detramental to your well being. she said that if im going to meditate i should do it without using the cd's and that i am doing myself a great harm??!

I really want to believe differently but she was almost begging me to stop??

Please help? I would also like to hear from Michael too please if possible?

I wanted to let my children listen as i read on here once that one the meditators does this...... but i dont want to harm them?

very concerned......

hear from you soon xx

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  2. KeithP

KeithP Member

There will always be someone to throw water on the flames of our enthusiasm.
    I first started to meditate using TM back in 1977 and a friend and neighbour was horrified. He was a born again Christian and held a firm belief that I had handed my soul to the Devil. Obviously I agreed to differ and all of my meditation experiences have led me to believe that I was on the right path.
    Now I have found Life flow and my meditation has suddenly been turbo charged so obviously I would have to disagree with your workmate. There will be those on the forum far better placed to answer your question than I but could you give them some extra info on how meditation using entrainment is supposed to be detrimental

All best wishes,
    Keith

3. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi there BS, it's a good point Keith has made. People have all kinds of opinions/belief systems about everything. I truly believe you can rest assured there are no problems with entrainment for any age group. My family of nine individuals, ranging from 6 years to 65 years all enjoy a great variety of benefits from LifeFlow.

As I am replying to your post, I am happily playing Creative Flow through headphones. The brain is the brain insofar as the waves are concerned and we all enter into these brainwave states naturally through a 24 hour period (if we sleep that is)

In fact entrainment even works on many animals because they have the same basic ranges of brainwaves as humans. One of our little dogs lies at the bottom of my bed often when I meditate with LF.

The alternative, stress, is reported to be the biggest killer. Huge pharmaceutical companies make billions, creating chemical prescription drugs that often have side effects and some do untold damage. It's frightening how many people take (and even become addicted to these) without any questioning.

I absolutely understand how individuals can make you feel concerned though -when my first child was born I was told by my health visitor to cut down on the ammount of food my baby daughter was having, to lie her in a different position etc. I felt she was hungry, followed my own instincts and today, at 34, she still has a normal appetite and has the figure of a model.

When I had my second child, the "rules" had changed and when I had my third child, they had changed yet again - I actually, after some studying, informed my health visitors that she was allergic to dairy products and had cholic - at that time I believed the professionals would know the answers, however, I'm glad I followed my own instincts.

Because we moved to a new country nearly 3 years ago we have registered with a lovely doctor and though it's nice to know we can call on her if it's ever necessary we continue to follow a more natural path of living healthy.

I hope this is of some help to you and wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)

4. ShivaKali

ShivaKali Member

Did she provide you with credible references you could check that support her opinions? If she is correct and if she has spent a full 13 years studying and documenting what she believes are harmful effects of entrainment she must have many references she could point you towards. Without supporting references her opinions should be viewed as questionable at best.

5. GilesC

GilesC Member

As ShivaKali says, what evidence has she provided to back up her claims? In what way did she say it would harm?

There are people out there who say that meditation is harmful, but experience of the millions of people who have done meditation successfully, would suggest otherwise.

Whatever we practice in life, there will be people who experience something negative and put it down to one or two particular things. The truth is that they often do not look or want to accept the real truth behind what the issues are. e.g. some people say that certain computer games are the cause of violence amongst young people, yet there are many young people who play the same games and are not violent or anti-social because of it; or the trend of blaming certain music for suicidal tendancies, again if this was the case then surely all those listening to it would be the same. Often in such cases, people are looking for something to blame because they won't accept the real underlying issues or that people are individual and each will react differently for their own life situation.

So, has this lady experienced something bad herself with brain entrainment? Is she speaking from personal experience? Or has she collected all the negative experiences she can find from other people as her "evidence"?

Most people who express things strongly about something are those who've experienced something bad, and more often than not, put the blame in the wrong place, as they don't want to accept their own self for the blame. This are the things that become "newsworthy". If everyone who experienced positive things were to make such a big deal of it, there would be far more of that than the negative and it would be based on personal experience and no need to try and explain things away or blame something else.

Unless she can provide credible evidence to back up her claims, I would simply ignore her and base your judgement on what you perceive from your own experience.

Hugs

Giles

6. WeeHoo

WeeHoo Member

Perhaps give LF 10 a try for 30 days and see how you feel...let your own experience, rather than someone else's advice, be your guide.

7. BS

BS Member

hey guys, thank you so much for you thoughts and insights, i feel privileged to be part of this forum, i really do. I love how if you have a question you put it out there and the answers and help just come rolling in......

thank yo pollyanna, for your insights, i always read your posts with such interest, you are a big inspiration.

and giles, as always, same applies to you :)

but thank you to everyone who has replied this time, again a very good insight into finding my answers.

i didnt ask her for any proof, i just really tried to stay off the subject and move it away, as i dont want to hear that kind of negativity. I am also praticing the Law of Attraction, so tried not to take in what she was saying. she did some tests as a counseller to addicts or something like that, and this was all touch upon??

but no to answer your question she is not a scientist, by far..... i shouldnt have listened in the first place. Its true what you say, you will always find someone who knew someone, etc.....

but i will continue in my journey through lifeflow. I am as suggested going back to lf 10 having purchased down to lf5 now, but i also found out i wasn't doing it correctly any way. I was just relying on the cd to put in the meditative state and not really doing much else. I have since downloaded michaels learn how to meditate and have been doing it properly for the last couple of days. So have gone back to LF10 for this....

will update you all on my journey :)

thanks again all and love and hugs to you :):):)

8. seatrend8899

seatrend8899 Member

Good Call.............

good call BS on the backtrack up the levels. I will be following that approach very soon as I need to apply proper meditation techniques. I suppose that I am just enjoying my supine mode too much even though I fall asleep every third session or so. I just love the body total relaxation thing.................

shine on :) :)

jim

9. Coenrad Morgan

Coenrad Morgan Member

Life is harmfull

Hi BS,

Just a short message to encourage you forward, I can honestly tell you as can MANY here and MILLIONS world wide that meditation is by no means harmfull, quite the opposite.

I got hold of life flow some time back, to be specific 27 October 2008, I wrote an e-mail titled, "postcard from the edge", I didn't title it for dramatic effect, I was as far as I could go, that is the night I "met" Jodie and was introduced to Life Flow, I am on the way back from the edge ever since....most importantly, I am holding it together despite 2 years of unemployment, eviction from my home and day after day of "soldiering on".....EVERY DAY is the same, empty, pointless, the sun rises then sets....not much happens in between other than the Sherrif of the court visiting, threatening phone calls....yet I hold it together, WHY...LIFE FLOW.

The true gift of life flow that it smooths the road, you still need to walk it, you still need to do as you were taught in Discover Meditation but if you will only put your headphones on, doing so, actually getting yourself to sit still for 30 minutes or more at least once a day, you will see that you become more tollerant, less intense where intensity has no value and generaly more at ease. Why I state that it smooths the road....BAD Days, Bad mood, stress....these things are difficult to set aside and just be silent for a bit, it is here where Life Flow is a life saver for me.....It doesnt take long and your more settled....from there, follow your breath, put right toe in left nostril if that is your practice, Life Flow HELPS in a BIG way.

As for the lady telling you that she studied it for 13 years....I studied English spelling at school for 12....by now you would have noticed that I am no expert, doctors study for nearly a decade, yet they cant write....everyone is either an expert or x-special forces and in their past lives....always a queen or something exotic...take what you hear with a pinch or metric ton of salt....trust YOUR OWN EXPERIENCE.

Native America, Africa, Asia, "Down Under"...entrainment has been around as long as drums, gongs and chimes have been, the effect, to entrain to a beat...IT WORKS, has for thousands of years only with Life Flow, it works better.

You want harm, breath the air on the high way, stress and rush...my hair is skipping past grey, I'm sprouting white ones EVEN ON MY CHEST and i am only 40, you want an antidote - lifeflow and a good hair dye :D

Keep on keeping on

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  10. Coenrad Morgan

Coenrad Morgan Member

From a guy who knew alot about meditation

I'm no expert so here's advice related to your problem from one who was a meditation expert.

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it.
    Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held.
    Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books.
    Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin.
    Believe nothing just because someone else believes it.
    Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true.
    ~THE BUDDHA

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  11. Edwin

Edwin Member

Zen Master Lin Chi spoke thus, "If you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha.:D

Couldn't help myself.

Investigate just like Coenrad said. There is no other person to investigate this for you.

12. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Bless you dearest Coenrad, to offer help in your tough times shows what a wonderful person you are. My special thoughts, prayers and love go out to you - and you planted the seed of a new goal for me as I read your words of encouragement. I hope I can offer help to you in a more practical way - stay strong, you never know what wonders the future may hold for you - may peace and joy be yours :) :) :)

13. Coenrad Morgan

Coenrad Morgan Member

THANK YOU E-Mamma ;)

Just doing what you ALL do for me......leave no one behind....help if you can or try if you think you cant.

Just really don't want BS to quit, there is much good that comes from the right tool for the job and a forum full of people who know how to use it.

I would have been lost without you, Jodie and Chris063 (that darn Panda knows which buttons to press )spuring me on.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009