1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Mantras... What do you use?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Peaceful Warrior, Dec 14, 2007.

1. myonlyviolin

myonlyviolin Member

Is only the meaningless sound used effective? How about using some meaningful words that we use in normal conversation? Does it affect meditation's effectiveness? :)

2. Michael Mackenzie

Michael Mackenzie Owner

Mantra

Not at all, you can use a mantra with a meaning if you prefer.

The discover meditation method will work just as effective with any short word.

Enjoy your meditation! Michael :)

3. ferrigno

ferrigno Member

thanks a lot! I listened through the discs to get an idea of how I should go about and I must say it feels so down to earth and professional. I got happy just listening to it. Ive been through a depression and my doctor told me it would be a good idea to learn meditation. For years, before I started looking for a specific meditation technique that I thought would suit me I used to, when I was feeling bad, sit in my bath tub while the water slowly was rising. I placed myself above so to say, looking over everything and I kind of lost myself for a while, afterwards everything seemed to fall into place, felling much better. I no longer get that successful in the bath tub. Ive been looking for a while for a technique and bought some books, searched the net and bought the book "catching the big fish" by david lynch (who I like a lot as a director) and he was endorsing TM. I feel that is too expensive(3 months full pay for me) and I don't like the mysticism or the cult-feel to it. I feel this course makes sense to me, it seems right and I'm gonna give it a go maybe next weekend (if I can get a babysitter) to get the first sessions right. I will share my experience with you as soon as I'm in to it.

I just can't believe that the technique that I found felt most appealing to me was a free one presented in this great way! Thanks a lot for your effort!

4. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Ferrigno

I believe you are so in the right place at the right time. If you read "Learn How You Can Benefit From Project Meditation!" You will understand even more, how amazing these courses are and how you will benefit from them. Ferrigno these courses to me are worth far more than what people and I have paid thousands for. I look forward to hearing about how you are progressing! Happiness and joy to you :) :) :)

5. MEJC

MEJC Member

My Mantra

For a long time I used "Ohhhhhhmmmmm", but I have recently changed it to be "Ooooowaaaaaaaaaaa", one which I made up myself.. It's really nice to say, and flows really easily.

6. MEJC

MEJC Member

I used to do this a while back, when I was using "Ohhhhmmmm" as my mantra. Then I changed to my own meaningless mantra "ooooowaaaaaaaaa", and recently I read this message of yours and decided to try it again, and it really does work. You say the mantra very deliberately for a few minutes, and then you let go, and the mantra carries on all by itself, and you just passively observe it. It's like the difference between controlling your breath and then just being aware of the breath, but using the mantra instead as your focal point.

Sometimes if the mantra stops, I use just the bare minimum of effort to set it going again, and then just passively observe it again.

It works really well.

7. ferrigno

ferrigno Member

I've been meditating twice a day for some days now and the experience I get is very simular to my "bath tub sessions". I already know I'm gonna keep doing it, I love it but I have a question. The mantra I chose has made me confused yesterday and today though, I feel I chose the wrong mantra, I feel when I'm meditating that its not right, I think of better ways to pronounce it and thats not good, I'm uncertain on how its supposed to be pronounced and how I'd like it to sound. Is it bad to change this early on? should I stick to it or could I decide for a new one? Will this make it hard to start over again?
    Could anyone give suggestions on meaningless words that could feel soothing? I think I got hung up on the fact that I chose a mantra from the list. and just as with relaxing music I can't relax to music I've created myself for that purpose and this seems to apply to choice of mantra as well, for me. Maybe thats one reason for the TM success, people pay a lot and the mantra is chosen for them so they better get the best out of it and stick to the mantra they payed for...maybe. I would:)

Peace

8. criticalmico

criticalmico Member

Hi Ferrigno

That's exactly the way I feel...:confused:
    But then I like to think my ridiculous "Haaam" mantra is as good as anyone else's.
    I just bear in mind that although my mantra doesn´t mean anything it will help me wander through my being. I don't have to fall in love with it right away.
    We'll get there with practice and patience, not with hard work.

Just consider that if you have already chosen your mantra then it might be perfect for you.:)

Best for all.

Micael Inês - Portugal

9. Match_capo

Match_capo Member

Right now I'm using "Ma-ra-na-tha"(Aramic for come Lord)...and it works. I breathe in on Ma, exhale on Ra and so on until its spelt out. The "Ahh" meditation or the sound of creation/creator mantra is another I love.

Matthew-Netherlands Antilles

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  10. John

John Member

I have found this thread very interesting and enlightening. I am fairly new to this site and to the concept of meditating by saying a mantra.The above comments have almost ,one can say, released me from my confusion and thinking "I could'nt do it right"- as several have mentioned that they meditate without saying a mantra.Often I just listen to the Lifeflow tracks and visualise the sounds and events -- and usually end up falling asleep!

Others also mentioined that they synchronise their thoughts /mantra with their breathing.When I meditate I try and focus on my breathing and also think the words" my breath wave ( on inspiration) "is peaceful and calming'(on expiration) which I find mind clearing - would this qualify as a "mantra" or is it too many words ?"
    Comments would be appreciated
    Thaks everyone for earlier shared comments
    John

11. enlighteneduk

enlighteneduk Member

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, have tried meditation in the past, but my butterfly Gemini brain has the concentration span of a gnat :-( ! I have trouble even focusing on affirmations, and wondered if it is possible to use a short affirmation as a mantra? I tried it when listening to the free Lifeflow sample for the first time, and amazingly, I was able to concentrate totally on my affirmation, without my mind wandering off as usual, after a few seconds. Is this ok, or should I use an accepted mantra like 'So hum' as Chopra suggests?

Heather