1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Mantras... What do you use?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Peaceful Warrior, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Peaceful Warrior

Peaceful Warrior New Member

I thought it would be interesting to see what other members use as a mantra?

I personally use: At-ease

This has always worked well for me.. anyone else care to share?

2. Raven

Raven Member

Variations on a classic mantra

There is a mantra that is very common in several traditions. Swami Muktananda maintained that if you did not have access to a qualified teacher who could assign a personal mantra to you, then the next best mantra to use is the "Ham-Sa" (pronounced, "Hum Saw) mantra. This, he said, is a universal mantra that can be used by virtually anyone to great effect.

I've seen this mantra as:

Ham-Sa, So-Ham, and Hong-Sau. Though the syllables in each sound slightly different, and their order can be reversed, it is still the same mantra. The Hong-Sau variation was the one favored by Paramhansa Yoganada as a part of his Kriya Yoga meditation practice.

For those wanting to synchronize the syllables of the mantra with the inbreath/outbreath cadence, whether you pronounce the "Ham" in the inbreath and the "Sa" on the outbreath, or do it the other way around is purely a matter of personal preference. Which ever way feels most natural to you, that's the way you should do it.

However, it is not necessary to synchronize the mantra with the breathing at all if you prefer not to. Sometimes it feels more natural just to let the syllables come as they will. Another point I have found useful in this using (and any other) mantra is to start by mentally repeating the mantra, then stop mentally "saying" it and just listen for it to continue inside, almost as though you were listening for an echo of the mantra to be returning back to you. The mantra will come and go, get louder and softer, and sometimes even disappear altogether for periods of time. When it disappears completely, if you just keep listening, like you were listening for that echo, you'll find that in time it starts up again, at its own rhythm, in its own way. These periods of silence while I am focused on listening seem to me the most powerful part of my meditation session.

This concept is a little hard to grasp at first because traditional meditation instructions have told us to repeat our mantra, and when we find we've gotten distracted from it or have lost it, to start repeating it again. I call that "active mantra meditation". The other kind, where you are listening for the echoes of the mantra I call "passive mantra meditation". To help understand the difference, the best analogy I can give is to have a person think of a time when they've got a song that keeps running through their heads and they just can't get it to stop. They try to block it out, but the moment they forget to block it they suddenly find that it's right back in their heads again, running like a CD being played in infinite loop mode. Sometimes they'll even be going along, doing whatever it is they are doing and they will realize that the song is and has been playing in their minds all along but they just weren't fully aware of it until that moment but if they think back they'll see that the song has been playing even when they weren't paying attention to it.

That is similar to the way it feels when you're using the "passive mantra meditation" technique. Eknath Eswaran refers to this as "God meditating you." When you reach the point where this sort of mantra meditation is common he believes your meditation practice has become firmly established in you.

~Raven~

3. Phun20

Phun20 Member

I actually don't use a mantra during meditation, I simply let the everyday sounds that go on in my space be the distraction that helps my mind unwind and become unfocused in the fashion that is required to meditate. Whether or not doing this is the wrong way to do it I am unsure, but it definitely seems to feel like it works...

4. Julielz

Julielz Member

I am

I love using "I am." Sometimes I add a diddy or two, like "I am peace, I am love," etc... There is such a beautiful wave-like quality to the I am mantra. Love it, love it. :p

5. scf0x

scf0x Member

I use Shama, dont know what it means but I just seem to be drawn to it.

It works well and I time it with my breathing which I find very relaxing.

Shaun

6. Scotsman

Scotsman Member

I've only started recently with a Chakra clearing cd.I've had great success with this and when the 20 minute program is finished I can sit for long periods just tuned into the energy around me. I've not tried any other meditation methods such as using a mantra and would appreciate any advice on moving forward with my meditation. Does using a mantra up the intensity or is it purely for freeing the mind from thoughts ????

Sorry just realised I've hijacked the thread a bit.
    Please move if appropriate

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  7. Ricky Reiki

Ricky Reiki Member

Hong Sau

I personally have tried several mantras in the past but the one that seems to work most consistently with me is Hong Sau. It is a mantra which I recieved off of Self Realization Fellowship once I became a memeber but to recieve instruction in the use of this mantra all one has to do is an internet search. You don't have to join SRF.

8. taylordayton

taylordayton Member

No mantras here either because I have often felt silly saying or thinking anything that didn't feel like it 'fit'. I'm open to suggestions, though.

9. wendy

wendy Member

I read an article once by Deepak Chopra. He suggested a simple mantra of "so-ohm".
    The "so" part is the sound of the breath drawn in and the "ohm" part is the breath blowing out. Works for me, however, I too, am open to suggestions.

10. xbomber08

xbomber08 Member

I've used the So-Ham mantra for awhile now, but haven't had much luck. I want to find another mantra that will work for me a little better.

11. Whitefort

Whitefort Member

I have to admit to being a bit wary of mantras that come from any particular religious tradition, so generally I just use the word 'One', and I find it works pretty well for me.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  12. Victoria

Victoria Moderator

Mantra-less!

Since beginning my lifeflow journey i haven't used a mantra though i have heard it is okay to use your own ( whether it be made up or sought out ) and i have heard that including a mantra with lifeflow will only enhance my experiences during meditation. I tend to really focus on my breathing. Sometimes i get a fantastic flow going and other times its a battle between busy thoughts rushing around and trying to concentrate on breathing. This i believe is okay and will not hinder my sessions but i'm sure finding something that i don't get distracted from will speed up the process. It's great to see what others use as some of the posted mantras appear very easy and flow! keep throwing out more ideas and opinions, i want to know everything NOW!:cool:

13. Balaam2

Balaam2 Member

i am developing a day to day practice and i know mantra helps. the kwan um school have mantras and chants online to listen to and i put them onto an mp3 that really helps my meditations. i highly recommend it to you. the website is easy to access and the mp3 chants can be listened to in a matter of one klik. all the best from Balaam

14. goodoljoshua

goodoljoshua Member

My (occassional) mantra

I don't always use a mantra. Sometimes I just rest in that restful/alert state. When I do use a mantra it's always. . .

Ohhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. . .

:)

Joshua

15. Edwin

Edwin Member

Zen

Since I practice Ju-Jitsu as a hobby, and Zen has worked its way into almost all japanese originated martial arts, I was allready quite busy with it when I discovered "Project Meditation" a few months ago.

But as a result, just as beginners in Zen do, I count my breath instead of using mantra's.

I think it really doesn't matter, as long as you keep your mind from wondering.

I did try Mantra's tho, and for some reason I used a "shi-rah" sound.
    I have no clue what it means, or if it even exists, but that seemed to work for me ! :cool:

16. RichardB

RichardB Member

No mantra

I don't currently use any mantras. I tend to concentrate more on my breathing as I slip into a totally relaxed state mentally and physically. I'll give a mantra a try though! Lots of good opinions here ;)

17. susi_gal

susi_gal Member

mantra

I've used Japanese phrase meaning "thank you" and "I love you" which generally seems to work best, but not always. In some of the tracks, such as the lifeflow 5 with waves on background this doesn't seem to work well.

I've also tried to gazing into candle frame and listening to my own breathing, but mantra works best so far??

I am keen try new things though. I would greatly appreciate ideas.

Somebody mentioned the CD... Can you name one that teaches you real pronunciations and melodies?

18. Maitreya

Maitreya Member

The mantra I use usually depends on the type of meditation I am performing.

If my intent is merely to relax, I either use the mantra "Sham," which requires almost no muscular effort, or I may ommit a mantra entirely.

However, if I am meditating on wisdom, prajna or Enlightenment, I may recite the traditional Tibetan "Om Mani Padme Hum," even though I am not a Tibetan Buddhist.

19. ferrigno

ferrigno Member

I haven't been meditating yet... is it ok to use any word that I feel sounds calming and that means something to ME? I mean some of the mantras I find in lists sound fine but I would feel awkward repeating the name of a god or something I don't believe in over and over again. Words like "calm" or "good"... Is there anything in the pattern or rythm that makes the mantra word more effective? Could I use longer mantras like full sentences or rows of letters to make it more challenging and to require sharper concentration?

20. Michael Mackenzie

Michael Mackenzie Owner

Ferrigno

Welcome to the community.

The mantra based meditation technique 'Discover Meditation' will work just fine if you choose your own mantra. :)

I would suggest you pick a mantra that sounds soothing to you.

If the first sound you select is later felt to be unsuitable, I encourage you to then choose or create another mantra until you find something that resonates with you.

Regarding your comment:

"Could I use longer mantras like full sentences or rows of letters to make it more challenging and to require sharper concentration"

To get the greatest success with my course, I encourage you to choose a simple mantra and avoid complex sentences.

When you listen to Discover Meditation, you will hear me talk about not trying so hard... This applies to concentrating on your mantra also.

When you repeat your chosen mantra in your mind it should not be a strained effort to try and keep it as your dominant focus.

When you find your attention has wandered, you should make no effort to return deliberately to your mantra, but just resume its repetition in a passive manner by 'favoring' your mantra over other thoughts.

Please let us all know how you get along.

Michael :)