1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

mantra

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by frank72, Feb 12, 2014.

1. frank72

frank72 Member

Hi all,

First post here, I'm Frank. I recently started mantra meditation. The course was great, but I was given a mantra by my teacher that is causing me confusion. The mantra has three syllabes. I do not deliberately try and synchronise with breath (in fact, i don't like to focus on the breath as it makes me more anxious), but i kind of feel like the rhythm of the mantra, being made of three syllabes, never gets in line with breathing.

I looked online, and it seems to me most mantras have 2 syllabes, but cannot find any clear information on whether i should align with breath, or it is irrelevant, or three syllabes or more is fine.

Could my teacher have made a mistake? I doubt it, as he is very experienced. I asked him, and he just said not to worry about it. But still, the problem persists.

I would have no problem in choosing my own mantra (i found lots of websites with really nice sounding ones), but want to avoid doing so if I am just being overtly analytical.

Would be grateful if anyone here has any feedback.

Thanks!

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi Frank,

The mantra doesn't need alighting with the breath at all. Whilst meditating your focus should come to your mantra, and you learn to be less attached to other things such as the breath. Your body physically needs to breath in it's own natural way, which may vary as you meditate from being shallow to deep, or slow to fast, just as it needs... without being controlled by us. When we try and control the breathing to bring it into synchronisation with something else, like a mantra, then this can make the breathing harder as it becomes unnatural, and we can cause physical discomfort, such as lightheadedness, or the sudden need to gasp for breath.

Of course, it's easier to say than to do at first, as it's very common for people to naturally align the words they speak, and thus their mantra, with their breathing. Try repeating you mantra in your mind rather than as though you're actually speaking it.... and let the mantra repeat as it needs to, whether that seems fast or slow, or louder or quieter, and just let your awareness remain on the mantra repeating in mind as it happens.

Mantras come in all sizes, and whilst many are just short 1 or 2 syllables, it's not a problem for them to be longer. Your teacher has not made a mistake.

If you really are uncomfortable with the mantra you've been given, there's no harm in choosing another mantra for yourself, though I'd recommend you choose something that doesn't conjour up ideas or thoughts obviously; hence why most mantras are sound based and have little meaning to us in our own language.

Hugs

Giles

3. frank72

frank72 Member

Hi Giles,

Many thanks for this very thorough and helpful reply. Will try with my given mantra and not worry about the breath, and see how ti goes after a while.

Cheers,

Frank