1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Mantra Help Anyone

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by ferrigno, Jan 18, 2008.

1. ferrigno

ferrigno Member

I mentioned in another thread that I've been meditating twice a day for some days now and the experience has been good. I really need some help so I started a new thread if thats OK.
    The mantra I chose has made me confused, I feel I chose the wrong mantra, I feel when I'm meditating that its not right, I think of other ways to pronounce it , that can't good. I'm uncertain on how its supposed to be pronounced and how I'd like it to sound.

Is it bad to change this early on? should I stick to it or could I decide for a new one? Will this make it hard to start over again?

It may be that I got hung up on the fact that I chose a mantra from the list. Thus I guess it inherits a meaning I don't know about and it bothers me.

And also, just as with relaxing music I can't relax to music I've created myself for that purpose and this seems to apply to choice of mantra as well, for me.

Anybody else been through these difficulties?

Could anyone give suggestions on meaningless words that could feel soothing?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  2. wendy

wendy Member

I don't know as if I can answer any of your questions, but I do have a suggestion:
    "Everything will happen exactly the way it's supposed to." Relax. If you would feel better, more comfortable with another mantra, then change it. How can you possibly get the full benefits of meditation if you're not comfortable from the get-go? If the new one doesn't work, change it again. When the right mantra comes along, you'll know it.

I change my music and meditations all the time. It depends what mood I'm in, (or want to be in), how tired I am, how stressed and how agitated I am. Do I have certain goals in mind? Do I just want to relax? I consider these things, make a selection of which meditation I fancy and then go with it. Regardless of my choices, I always enjoy my sessions and appreciate them for what they bring, whether the outcome fits in with my previous agenda or not.

Keep us posted on your success - Nameste, Wendy

3. Edwin

Edwin Member

I wouldn't worry too much ferrigno !

There is as far as I know only one organisation active in meditation in the world that actually "gives" you mantra's that are supposedly specially for you.
    I won't go into that organisation, but I don't agree with them.
    You could take the text " I have got a new toaster " if that works for you, it's the sound that really matters, and how deep your meditation goes with it.

I have heard a lot of people in this forum allready that use the simple text " I am " and they really had much success with it ! :)

4. ferrigno

ferrigno Member

Thank you guys! I'll be back to tell you how it goes.

5. neilcamp

neilcamp Member

Hi ferrigno. I have changed my mantra several times. I found that a monosyllable was the best for me. Using a word with two syllables seemed to 'break up' and I found it a bit 'jerky' no matter how slowly I said it. Of course everyone is different, but you could try a monosyllable mantra.

6. neilcamp

neilcamp Member

Edwin I also did a meditation course with that 'one organisation' who gave me a mantra and swore me to secrecy not to divulge it to anyone. Neither the mantra nor the meditation worked for me even after a long period of practice. That is why I am feeling so good about LifeFlow. I have a few 'off' days, but it works well for me. I get to feel enveloped by it, so that I am not really listening to the sounds; I am experiencing them.

7. manx

manx Member

ferrigno just relax

hi ferrigno
    dont try so hard with your meditation just relax and allow yourself to experiance whatever experiance occurs,
    you could use a different mantra every day it really would make no difference , you could use a mantra one day then use a visualisation the next day and then just listen to music the next they will all lead to a medative state if you just do not try too hard which will only lead to a busy mind which is the opposite to what you are trying to achieve.............good luck :)

8. ferrigno

ferrigno Member

Thats good to hear, the thing is that When I started doing this learned from discover-meditation I felt really good right away and It got better day by day until this thoughts about the mantra itself started bugging me. I am a man of habits and thats why I'd like to have one ground to stand on i.e. the mantra, and when I have a kind of comfort in that I can try stuff out. But as you say, its about not trying. I'll try your suggestion. Thanks!

9. lebourdonant

lebourdonant Member

Hello Ferrigno,

I put Wendy's quote, because after all, everything might be written there.

Between all meditation techniques, you chose mantra, that is fair enough.

mantra meditation:
    for concentration, it gives a focus to the mind thus allowing your state to deepen.

for stimulating energy center ! the frequency generated stimulates more a center than another, without going into detail (cause mostly I don't know enough on the topic) this applies for Indian and Tibetan mantra (using Sanskrit language/ the tones in sanskrit are very meaningfull for energy communication).

So mostly it doesn't matter if you understand them or not, although awarness is of course beneficial.

I join everyone else who tell you to feel good with what you are saying, whichever you choose.
    The process is the goal.

Has anyone read "messages from the water" ?
    Can this be related ?

10. wendy

wendy Member

I've seen articles about "messages from water" and I think it substantiates "intent" rather than linguistics. If you think about it, water has no way of knowing what language your are speaking. ie: A very popular four letter swear word in our English language, means, "seal" in French. How can water possibly know if you are foul mouthed or simply making an attempt at being continental? How important is your own interpretation, (or lack of interpretation), for words used as part of a mantra?

I think we are only scratching the surface of knowledge about energies and yet, from what we know, we can see their affects all around us. Studies in natural medicine have shown that it is "intent" that heals dis-ease and not a specific botanical compound. I would suggest that it is "intent" that made changes in the water crystals and it's the "intent" of your mantra that determines the outcome of your meditation sessions.

I have an elderly uncle who was diagnosed with a deadly blood cancer several years ago. Given his age and the severity of his illness, his doctors predicted his quick demise not log after he was told he had cancer. He started doing a lot of research about his disease so he could understand exactly what was happening in his body to make him sick, or, have cancer.

Once he got to the physiological root of the matter, he began his meditations with very specific intentions, according to what he had learned about his body and his illness. He goes for check ups every six months and the doctors are baffled. He is almost 86 years old and to date, is winning his battle with cancer. To quote his health care team, "...we don't know what you're doing, but keep doing it...we never expected you to be with us this long..."

I would also add, that my uncle repeatedly reminds me that in order for meditation to work as a catalyst in true change, one's thoughts must be positive and in the present tense. In other words, we must tell ourselves that these changes have already come about. (Again an example): "I am a non smoker.", not, "I'm going to quit smoking". I can only presume that Unc's thoughts are, "I am healthy and cancer free..." and he honestly believes it. So his intent is whole hearted and genuine. It's not something you can fake.

In short and in agreement with fellow forum members, it really doesn't matter what you say. What matters is your goal or intent.

Meditation is not Alladin's lamp. If you practice meditation with an open heart and sincere intentions all sectors of your life will improve. New found gifts that are received or realizations that occur after meditation may not have been part of an original agenda, but it's been my experience, that the results are alway positive - and it may take many days, sometimes weeks or months before I understand these changes. They may not make sense or have meaning for me at the time, but they always prove to be significant and for good, later down the road.

Whew! Sorry for my long "windedness". I hope even a part of my ramblings may provide some insight. Nameste - Wendy

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008