1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Losing motivation for meditation

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Spectrum, May 23, 2013.

1. Spectrum

Spectrum Member

Hi, all.

I have been meditating with Lifeflow since new year. Throughout January through April I was following my meditation practice consistently (one 40 minute session per day) and liking it. But this last month I have lost my motivation. I just don't feel like doing it anymore. Nowadays, when I meditate I (with or without Lifeflow) am filled with boredom and impatience and want to stop. Sometimes I do it anyway, but not for nearly as long as before, and not daily.

I don't know what the "correct" response is. I don't know if I should stick to my meditation practice even though I don't want to, or whether I should stop until I feel like doing it again.

It probably has to do with the fact that I am not feeling anything from Lifeflow these days. In January and February I had some strong experiences with Lifeflow 10 and 9 where I could definitely feel a "different" state of consciousness. Then, in March, when I tried Lifeflow 8, I once again felt a strong feeling of a "different" state of consciousness. I took that as a sign that I was ready to progress to LF 8. So I did.

These experiences gradually failed. After some weeks, I rarely felt anything at all. I figured maybe I should go back to LF 9. That didn't change much. These last weeks I have been listening to LF 9, 8 and 7, but I rarely experience anything.

I don't know if this is the reason for my losing my motivation. I just know that I am bored with meditation these days, and I don't know what I should do - if I should keep doing it or not.

Can anyone give some advice?

2. Panthau

Panthau Member

Go with what youre heart tells you. But remember, everything in life needs patience and stamina to grow to something big. So if your heart tells you to do it, then stick with it... boredom and demotivation are just milestones on the way to yourself.

3. advice

Should you keep meditating? Should people exercise? These questions are pretty similar. Meditating is like exercising for the brain in a way. To me meditation is the process of becoming aware that the thought in my head at the present moment is actually a thought and this awareness in turn makes the thought lose its power. This can be done while sitting down, like with a timer and perhaps calm music being played, perhaps with lifeflow, or it can be done during the course of my day, walking, eating, talking to somebody. It is simply wherever I am whatever i am doing being aware that the thought in my head is a thought and doing this makes the thought fade away. A new thoughts come soon after but that is a new present moment and so I (attempt to) repeat. The reason I say meditation is exercise is because doing this action of being aware of a thought makes it easier to become aware of the next thought and it makes the space or time in between new or future thoughts increase. If this is what meditation means to you, I would be surprised if you wanted to stop. If so I would suggest that it is because you havent been active in your meditation lately so you are too tired to want to do it. This is the same for physical exercise in the sense that when you are in the mode of working out all the time, in a good routine, it is easy to keep going back, but when you havent went for a while it is difficult to motivate yourself to go to the gym and if you do you dont really want to be there. Really I would suggest you look at what you are doing for your meditation. If it is much different than what I said, try it out and see how you feel.

4. olmate

olmate Member

Maybe as part of the enquiry Pan suggests, move your focus away from "Lifeflow" and how you perceive it working or not and ask yourself the more fundamental questions of your search and internal inquiry of self within.

You may find this opens a completely different landscape.

5. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Spectrum,

looking through your earlier posts, I remembered that you were using visualisation as a meditation technique and am not sure what technique you are using at present.

Here's a small piece I have copied from an extremely well respected member of the community:-

"Any time someone comments that they're bored with a track, or they don't like a track as much as another, and it is obvious this boredom or dislike is impairing their meditation practice, you can be certain they do not properly understand what that entrainment track is supposed to be accomplishing for them. That means they're not using it as it was meant to be used and that is almost a guarantee their practice is going nowhere fast."

To read the whole post, please click on the link below:-

http://www.project-meditation.org/c...-getting-ready-go-lifeflow-7-a.html#post13988

I completely agree with Ta-tsu-wa and hope you find this information helpful.

The benefits of a little daily meditation are staggering and it's such a shame for anyone to miss out on them.

I wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)

6. Panthau

Panthau Member

I miss Ta-tsu-wa... hasnt been here in a long time.

7. Spectrum

Spectrum Member

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I have started over with LF 10.

8. fourwinds_one

fourwinds_one Member

Thanks for this contribution. Sorry for the interruption, but could you elaborate on this portion? I think I am blocking or adding to my sessions inadvertently. I am having issue with surrender. Control seems to pervade my mind in one way or another. I have tried mantra and breathing awareness to bring my thoughts to funnel and eventually let them fall away. They drop off then another joins or sometimes multiples and mantra and breathing is forgotten for a time then comes back. Then new thoughts. So I try the deep breathing, the focusing on relaxing each area of my frame. I am relaxed physically when I begin the mantra or breath awareness but my mind will not fall away. It refuses to still and I can't separate. My sessions usually end by my falling asleep or getting up feeling lethargic rather than rejuvenated and I find this discouraging. Any suggestions I would be grateful for.

9. Spectrum

Spectrum Member

In case anyone wants to know: Right now my meditation technique is to simply be aware of the thoughts I am having. I allow the thoughts to be there and just strive to keep observing them instead of identifying with them.

Sometimes I focus on breathing as deeply as I can. Sometimes not.

Occasionally I feel some change in my state of mind, which I presume are the alpha brainwaves.

10. Panthau

Panthau Member

Observing is good... but dont confuse observing with attaching. You dont do that anyway, just wanted to have it said. :)

11. william.sharkey

william.sharkey Member

Motivation or the lack of motivation can be looked at as thought in this situation. When you say you have a lack of motivation I think really that means you have these thoughts in your head telling you that you don't feel like meditating. These thoughts are just the same as any thoughts during your meditation. You should be aware of them, don't judge them as bad or good or true or false, just be aware that they are there as thoughts. Hopefully this will make the thoughts go away and then this lack of motivation will be removed.