1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Listening

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by olmate, Jul 10, 2010.

1. olmate

olmate Member

The session with my teacher yesterday was quite confronting. The subject was "listening".

I found many aspects somewhat confronting and a little paradoxical. For example, through much of my recent practice it occurred to me that in an effort to quiet the mind, I may have been inadvertantly shutting down.

Listening has many dimensions, but I guess in the context of meditation practice it occurred to me that it in fact is the opposite - awareness, awareness, awareness and heightened awareness.

I guess when I have pondered this question in the last 12 hours - the rational me concluded that everything has "sound" - meaning a vibration - so listening is an essential part of practice.

I am still digesting the idea of listening but would welcome tapping the wisdom of this forum on this topic.

Nothing but the best,

Olmate

2. GilesC

GilesC Member

Ooo, yes, listening is an important aspect but also one that can be quite tricky at first although many may not think so.

There is a world of difference between simply listening and letting the mind interpret what is being listened to.

One of the practices in the Practical Philosphy group I attend, is to simply listen to the voice when in conversation. This essentially means that if someone else is talking, listen to the sound of the voice and you will easily understand what they are saying; but if you let the mind start to get in the way it will begin interpreting what it's hearing, dragging up associated memories and thoughts about what is being said and actually distracting you from listening to their voice in the present moment. Likewise, if you listen to the sound of your own voice while talking, then what needs to be said will simply arise from true knowledge, but if you let the mind get in the way then it can twist things around and make it difficult to speak. By simply listening to the sound of your own voice you automatically know when what needs to be said has been said and you will then be able to stop and let the conversation go to whoever needs to speak next, but if you let the mind get in the way, then the ego takes over and tries to hold onto the speech, preventing others from speaking ("I'm in control of this conversation", type of thing) and disrupting true conversation from taking place.

It takes practice, but listening is a good thing to do.

Hugs

Giles

3. olmate

olmate Member

Thanks Giles. I very much "get" your valuable contribution. The filter of the mind is an expert at gate keeping. I agree there is a need for precision in my practice of interpersonal listening and communication within the contexts you raise.

The term my teacher used was "listening heart attitude". Teacher implores that the result of this practice is deepening of relationships and a greater sense of self for all involved in the communication.

The other addition my Teacher added also included the listening associated with listening to animals, waves on the beach and even the roar of the city neighborhood. The result of this listening is a much greater sense of my place within the universe.

One thing is for sure and certain - careful listening is certainly going to be in my best interests.

Thanks again Giles for your excellent insights.

Nothing but the best...

Olmate