1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Lifeflow - does it still work for inexperienced meditators?

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by adammann, Nov 2, 2009.

1. adammann

adammann Member

I'm quite interested in this program, however, I've had minimal success with meditation in the past. I'm wondering whether you have to be an experienced meditator to get any benefit out of it.

I have anxiety issues (my heart beats too powerfully - ALL the time), and I have tinnitus, which makes concentrating on clearing the mind extremely difficult (particularly in total silence...FORGET about that :| ).

In the past I have tried mind machines using binaural beats and photic stimulation - they did absolutely nothing.
    And I tried them many, many times, on many different programs.

I tried the Holosync demo thing. Again, absolutely nothing.

I tried the BrainWave Generator and NeuroProgrammer. Once again, absolutely nothing. I tried many different presets.

And yes, I've tried the free sample of Lifeflow 3 times so far.
    Felt nothing at all.

So I wonder if given my lack of success with so many other modalities if I'm likely to get any benefit at all from Lifeflow.
    It certainly sounds promising, but given I've never felt anything of note from any program or CD, I'm reticent.

Any help appreciated.

2. Itlandm

Itlandm Member

It is not just for experienced meditators. But it is true that there are some people who don't seem to feel any effect at all. If you don't experience anything from playing the free sample repeatedly for half an hour or so, you are unlikely to experience anything when playing LifeFlow 10, which is the same thing only with slightly more detail and lasting 40 minutes.

I will mention however that I personally did not experience any of the "endlessly happy endorphins" when I started. On the other hand, LifeFlow 8 and to some degree 7 have been quite enjoyable, but I believe this is because I already had meditated quite a bit when I was younger. If you are not used to meditation, chances are that the demo is a pretty good hint of what you can expect, sorry.

3. Edwin

Edwin Member

have you tried the demo on your stereo, instead of headphone ? Binaural beats through headphone might not be your thing, but Monaural and Isochronic tones over speakers might help better, especially with your tinnitus problem being there.

What were you expecting to feel by the way ?

4. adammann

adammann Member

I hadn't tried it on the stereo.
    I figured I'd get more benefit from utilising the binaural beats as well.
    I don't see how I'd get any more benefit from using it on a stereo, since I still hear the monaural and isochronic tones on the headphones, and clearer than I would on a stereo.

As for what I was expecting to feel?
    Something.
    Anything :confused:

I've never felt anything from much exploration of binaural beats from different manufacturers. It's extremely frustraing since others get these cool effects but I get nothing.
    I relax, and I have an open mind about it. I want it to work, but I don't concentrate to make it work - I aim to relax.
    But all I hear is noise that does nothing.
    Is there anything one can do to make themselves succeptible to binaural beats?

5. Edwin

Edwin Member

http://www.project-meditation.org/c...23-what-exactly-lifeflow-what-can-do-you.html ;)
    The key to effective use of entrainment is meditation. All that LifeFlow does, is enhance your meditation. If you are able to meditate the right way, LifeFlow will speed up the results of meditation.
    If not, it's fun to listen to but that's where the benefits end.
    You will find numerous posts by people who claim to have had wonderfull experiences thanks to lifeflow. Just nod, smile and move to the next post, because usually those are a result of expectations as well. They created such a strong expectation that their minds created the desired results.

Check out posts by those very same people 2 months later, and you will see that their "euphoric experiences" didn't last, and in fact they feel worse than before. And that is usually caused by the fact that they expected that same euphoria every session, and it went away. Meditation is not drugs, and neither is entrainment.

Direct benefits of meditation can be:

- A deep feeling of being relaxed
    - Forgetting about your daily problems for a while
    - Giving your body the time to heal aside the time it gets during natural sleep
    - release of beneficial hormones to your health and mind
    - decrease in harmful stress hormones
    - a sudden flash of insight ( a problem that you have been thinking over for several days, instant solution out of nothing )

Long term benefits:
    Learn How You Can Benefit From Project Meditation! - Project Meditation Community Forum
    Yes, like I said, meditate. Brainwave products that promise the same results without meditation are twisting the truth to put it mildly. Brainwave products aren't that powerfull, and maybe we should be thankful for that. In that case maybe it could be used for mind-control or something.

In both your posts I could not detect if you tried the free meditation course that this site offers. Did you ?

6. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Isochronic, Monaural and meditation

Hi there Adammann, although I have just posted the following in meditation chatterbox, I don't want you to miss out and the following information from Michael may answer your question:-

Isochronic, Monaural and Binaural each have unique benefits. LifeFlow incorporates all three wave forms in its entrainment matrix creating a wider variety of use and benefits.

The strongest attribute of binaural waves is their ability to create whole brain synchronization. All three wave types produce synchronization, but binaural does a better job than the other two tones. Binaural beats must be listened to with stereo headphones for them to achieve this.

Monaural beats are produced when two tones combine digitally or naturally before the sounds reach the ears, as opposed to combining in the brain like binaural beats. In a 1973 issue of Scientific American, Dr. Gerald Oster noted that Monaural waves create a far greater entrainment effect than binaurals.

Isochronic tones incorporate a single tone, which turns off and on in a specific and accurate pattern and is widely regarded as the most effective method of entrainment. Many people who do not respond well to binaural beats often respond very well to isochronic tones.

An additional benefit to using LifeFlow over open speakers is the fact that we "listen" with our entire body, not just our ears.

Those of us with normal hearing may not be as aware of the effect that sound vibrations in the air have on our bodies as a whole, because we focus our attention almost exclusively on those vibrations as they are received through the normal auditory mechanism, but if we tune that out we will often find that we continue to experience the sense of "sound" through our body as a whole.

Taking this a step further, entrainment waves restricted to a set of headphones, such as isolated binaural beats, will impact only our ordinary auditory senses.

Monaural and isochronics, played out in the open air, however, have the capacity to impact and influence the entire body.

Scientific research has proven that advanced meditators (who can reach deeper levels) develop the ability to use their whole brain and to live in a more balanced state characterized by brain synchronization and whole brain functioning.

The purpose of meditation is going within, to the space in each of us that is peaceful, still and beneath the multitude of busy distracting thoughts. To rest in this place a little each day creates so many immediate and long term benefits.

This sanctuary and healing place is within each and every one of us, however in the hectic society we live in it seems long forgotten even though it is the most natural thing we can do to improve our emotional, spiritual and physical well being.

After almost two decades of clinical research, Whole Brain Synchronization is revealing itself to be one of the greatest breakthroughs in healing and personal growth. There is more and more scientific evidence that proves meditative practices should be at the very heart of our healthcare system.

The fact that Michael recommends LifeFlow with meditation makes all the difference to anything else I've ever tested - it's absolutely made massive changes in my life and so many others as I'm sure it will for you. I wish you an abundance of peace and joy :) :) :)

7. adammann

adammann Member

Edwin - I hadn't yet tried the free meditation course - I will do so.
    Pollyanna - I think I might do a bit more research into isochronic tones and monaural beats.