1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Learning slowly!

Discussion in 'START HERE: Registration & Introductions' started by newbie, Sep 10, 2010.

1. newbie

newbie Member

Hi everyone,

Im new to this but tryng to learn more about meditation, done some research but still a bit confused. Since i was about 6 or 7 i have always been able to 'turn on' a warm tingling feeling on my forehead between my eyes pretty much whenever i want. Ive never known what to do with it just found it a strange feeling, it goes from the top of my eyes to the top of my forehead.

I understand this now to be the brow chakra (i think). I recently read that if it is unbalanced it can cause bad concentration amongst other things. I have always found it hard to concentrate and regularly finding myself in dremland, or thinking deeply about things.

Ive only recently started to try meditation so im still trying to get my mind to pipe down a bit :). Ive read about blanacing the chakras and was wondering if this is what i need do to make the most of the chakra. I hope this makes sense?

If anyone can help would be appreciated:) Thanks

2. samaria1123

samaria1123 Member

What kind of books have you read so far? I just finished Power of Now, it does take some time to start calming the mind. I'm pretty new to this too! I know that Eckhart Tolle has a book about practicing the power of Now. I think it's got more exercises and meditation tips. I hope to be buying it soon.

3. newbie

newbie Member

I started reading 'Chakra Clearing' by someone Virtue cant remember her first name, then lost the book! Just been looking a lot on youtube there is so many videos, alot contradicting, but some great videos also! Didn't realise it was such a mindfield!

I recently came across Wayne Dyer and Deepak Chopra, they have some great stuff to talk about and great techniques for meditating and manifesting. How are you coming along with your books?

4. GilesC

GilesC Member

That'll be Doreen Virtue.

Often there is a lot of confusion around Chakra's because the Western world has altered the meaning and understanding of them for it's own purposes. The principle of Chakra's comes from India and a lot of the meaning has been lost. As an example, in the West, Chakra's are often referred to by the colours Red (base/root chakra), Orange (navel), Yellow (sternum), Green (heart), Blue (throat), Indigo (third eye/forehead), Violet or White (crown chakra). However, in India every Chakra has every colour in it, and the health of a chakra determines what colours become dominant. Also, in the West, people often do meditations where they "open" and "close" the chakra's, usually opening the chakras as part of the meditation and closing each of the chakras at the end of the meditation. In Indian chakra principles, if one were to truly close the chakra's then that person would be dead as the energy would not be flowing. Chakras should be open and balanced. There is also a connection between the Indian Chakras and the Japanese/Chinese meridian system (used in accupuncture, and in the west EFT etc.), as both relate to the energy system of the body.

You could look at various methods for balancing the chakras. Nnot sure about Doreen Virtue's book on clearing them as, from what I've seen of her stuff, she's very much into producing books, numerous different tarot card decks etc. and her husband is also into producing books on animal spirits and animal card decks etc.; call me a critic, but there seems to be a keen interest in making money going on ;)

Often missed is EFT, which can be used for chakra clearing and balancing just as much as it can be used for treating emotional, mental or physical issues. Also, Reiki, Meditation (some guided meditations are specifically designed for clearing and balancing chakras, but beware the ones that just "open" and "close" them as already mentioned), Crystals / Crystal Therapy and I'm sure some other techniques can be used. I guess you just need to look around and see what takes your fancy and perhaps try some and see.

Hugs

Giles

5. Edwin

Edwin Member

Making money isn't bad, it just shouldn't have the moneymaking as a goal, especially if it is low in quality.

For example, Eckhart Tolle is quite rich now, but his intentions still seem pure to me.

6. GilesC

GilesC Member

Absolutely Edwin. I completely agree.

I just get the sense that Ms. Virtue is churning out one thing after another for the purpose of making money and not so much because the things she's producing are necessarily true/proven. There again, when you say "it was channeled to me by angels" then there's not much you can do to prove or disprove it. Just a matter of personal opinion after looking at her 'products' in the shops. ;)

Hugs

Giles

7. Edwin

Edwin Member

And now I have to agree with you again ;)

I didn't doubt your judgement, still don't as I value your opinion greatly.
    I just added the comment to make sure people didn't automatically think that all money making teachers/spiritual people are evil :p

8. Karmoh

Karmoh Member

Although this is virtually another subject. Sorry for highjacking :eek:

Our society relies on supply and demand. There are charlatans abound, but I came to the conclusion awhile back, that regardless of the source or the quality if It gives comfort for whatever purpose then it’s ok by me.

Eckhart Tolle is a renowned spiritual teacher and his books made so much sense to me that it was unreal, but to some he’s a wolf in sheep’s clothing.

Similarly that smiley Christian dude Joel Osteen is a renowned pastor, but a heretic to others.

Similarly JZ Knight’s Ramtha is revered as a channeled entity, but laughed at by others.

They all have one thing in common; they supply a service to people willing to pay. If you look these successful people they have one quality, they believe in themselves and take action to achieve. And we pay :D

9. newbie

newbie Member

Thanks for the info guys! Finding meditation hard but not going to stop trying:)! Thanks for the comments.

10. MeditationMan

MeditationMan Member

From my understanding of the Sixth Chakra, uncovering it can uncover your Third Eye vision. Have you recognized any psychic abilities, by any chance? My understanding is that uncovering your Third Eye can lead to interactions with the 4th and 5th dimensions, as well.

I'm fairly new to this, so please guys don't chastise me if I'm completely off!

11. GilesC

GilesC Member

Hi MeditationMan,

No worries, nobody is going to chastise you. Any information can be useful information.

I'll just pick up on a couple of things you said if I may...

This depends on whether you're going by traditional Indian understanding of the Chakras (as that is primarily where the Chakra concept comes from) or whether you're looking at more "new age" interpretations of them.

Wiki actually has a fairly good description about it (for once, as it often has biased viewpoints)..
    Third eye - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One of the better subtle descriptions I found for this chakra is:

"Ajna (Third Eye/Brow Chakra)
    The third-eye chakra located in our forehead, between the eyes is the key to our wisdom, learning and putting things in perspective."

Again, this depends on your beliefs and concepts of what dimensions are.
    For example, in scientific terms the 4th dimension is generally referring to Time.
    In quantum physics/string theory etc. then the models around that often refer to 10 dimensional space/time or even more (depends on the theory)
    Ouspensky had a six dimensional concept (let me go find a link...)...
    The Theory of Six Dimensions (google will reveal more)
    In "new age" spiritual terms the 4th dimension is often referred to as the spirit real or sometimes the 4th is time and 5th is spirit realm etc. All depends who you talk to.
    Dimensions are just a model to create understanding around particular beliefs and understanding. None are right, but conversely, they are all right, when put in context.

So, you are correct, using the 3rd Eye, in new age spiritual practices is believed to offer connection with other universes, spirit realms, spirit guides, psychic abilities, out of body experiences etc. etc.

Another way to put it would be to say that opening the 3rd eye chakra connects us with the Universe a.k.a. the Oneness, which in itself is the one concsciousness of which our True Self is also. Therefore using the 3rd eye we can become connected with everything, or in touch with our Self, sometimes referred to as complete awareness or becoming Enlightened.

;)

Hugs

Giles

12. MeditationMan

MeditationMan Member

Interesting... Because from the research I've done there is no time in the 4th dimension.

There are so many beliefs out there, it can become overwhelming to some, including myself at times. Meditation has actually helped me to just trust more, and to just have faith that the God source will reveal to me the spiritual path that it wants me to travel.

13. GilesC

GilesC Member

That's my point exactly. There are different dimensional models for different purposes.
    Conventional Science uses 3 dimensional space and then adds time as the 4th dimension.
    Other theoretical sciences use different models which can be 5, 6, 7 or whatever dimensions depending on what is needed to describe their theory.
    Spiritualists treat the "real world" as 3 dimensional space and the "spirit world" as the 4th dimension, often neglecting to mention time as a dimension at all for the "real world".
    I myself could say that my explanations are based on 5 dimensional space time, where we have 3 dimensional space, the 4th dimension as a point in time and 5th dimension as a period of time.

Different dimensional models suit different needs. None are right or wrong.

;)

Hugs

Giles