1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Just starting out. I was hoping for a little help.

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by oneskyealone, Sep 3, 2013.

1. oneskyealone

oneskyealone New Member

I had been thinking about taking up meditation for a couple years now. I thought it may help with my severe anxiety, and I finally just tried for the first time. I always put it off because I thought it would be too hard to just sit and breath. It was actually easier to clear my head than I ever imagined.

There's a couple problems I was hoping for some guidance on though. I got restless after about ten minutes and had to stop. I was never fully relaxed.. honestly I'm never comfortable, ever, so it's hard to find a position to relax in. I find it hard to breathe correctly. In through nose out through mouth doesn't feel very natural. So if you have any pointers on how I can get past those things that would be awesome.

Also, if I just force myself through the process, how long (roughly) would it take for it to feel more natural? Weeks? Months?

Thank you. =]

2. Panthau

Panthau Member

Hi,

Its quiet normal in the beginning to feel restless or nervous, while meditating. The solution is to not identify with these feelings ("i" feel nerous), but instead to recognize them (theres this or that feeling) and to let it express itself without reacting to, or interfering with it.

Regarding your breath, id say just breath as you feel comfortable. Your breath will get calmer and deeper by itself, the more you are relaxed. Dont force yourself to a specific breath pattern.

It will feel more natural the moment you let go of all your doubts, worries or ideas on how you should meditate. This can take minutes or months... just sit down and tell yourself that theres nothing more important in this moment then your breath. This should get you there...sooner or later. :)

3. Pixa

Pixa New Member

It's Actually quite normal to feel restless when meditating, you said you can not be relaxed. Right, before you do your meditation, go on a walk in nature, do some stretches, then when you're going to meditate say to yourself "I am relaxed". Also.

Concentrate on your breathing, if any thoughts distract you, just achknowledge them and move back to your intention, gradually, with practice you will be fine.

4. Luckyzhu

Luckyzhu New Member

Please don't force your way through it. Its a time for you to look inward and this can be disconcerting. But overall it should be a pleasant experience for you. You can use any breathing pattern to start that feels natural to you, just pay attention to it. I'm no expert, but when I feel anxious when I'm supposed to be meditating, I just roll with it. Listen to something like lifeflow, go for a walk where I pay close attention to sights and sounds, etc. Then I try again the next day, but please don't let this be another source of stress. I think the key is consistancy, making time for it. Good luck to you.

5. GarrettK

GarrettK New Member

I get the feeling that spending time in a Floatation Tank would probably be perfect for you. I also have that subtle issue of 'I really don't find anywhere to be super comfortable', but that was solved when I got into a float tank for the first time. And second. And third. And and and and... ;) 10 inches of water, 900+ LBS of Epsom salt, complete darkness total silence, with the water heated to body temperature. Most relaxing environment on the planet :D

I prefer in through nose, out through nose. The best way to do the LifeFlow is through sitting in a meditative pose, but you CAN also listen to it lying down.

Something to consider - doing the demo whilst lying down for a few days (since the restlessness can also come from releases happening within), then moving to sitting.

When you are sitting, is your butt right down on the ground, or are you sitting on something, to keep your hips elevated above your knees? My Qi Gong master had instructed us to sit with our hips above our knees, since it allows for better blood flow throughout the legs, and for better air flow in the belly.

A few things to consider :)

6. GarrettK

GarrettK New Member