1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Juggling

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Foojoy, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Foojoy

Foojoy Member

Some may disagree with this as a meditation but are their any other jugglers here? I feel that juggling is an active meditation. Does this count? I find that my mind enters a state similar to when i meditate with my eyes closed. Perhaps not quite as deep but just as relaxed and focused. Anyway I just wanted to THROW that out there for discussion. If any of you feel that this thread is inapropriate for this page, please accept my apologies. All the best everyone and Love it up!

-Foojoy

2. Julielz

Julielz Member

absolutely!

Hi Foojoy (fun name)...

I think that's fantastic. I heard once that here are something like 112 different schools of thought/philosphy when it comes to meditation. Even if that's way off, why limit ourselves to the stereotypical? Besides, meditation is not the technique or philosophy, right? These things are simply tools to help one understand and access the indwelling state of meditation.

To me, it sounds like you are using juggling as a form of concentration. So, just as someone would concentrate on a candle flame, their breath, or a mantra, you are concentrating on a physical act to bring you into the ever-present NOW.

Personally, I've entered into some of the most expansive, meditative states while listening, laughing, or hiking. I mean, isn't it beautiful to consider that your whole life becomes the meditation?

Yay! Keep juggling.

Mucho Peace,
    Julie

3. Foojoy

Foojoy Member

Thank you for the supportive comments Julielz! I appreciate your open mindedness. I like to try new things and became hooked on juggling. I just finished listening to life flow 10 and it absolutely blew mind. I'm having a little trouble verbalizing my experiance more than that right now, I feel like i'm in...."brain shock".lol...don't know if that makes sense or not but their you go. All the best and Love it up!

-Foojoy

4. Edwin

Edwin Member

Like Julie and Foojoy, I too have experianced "Zen like states" aside from meditation: when Trekking through the mountains in Sweden.

I have to say, feeling such harmony and peace while looking out over snowy mountaintops with reindeers grazing around you really is special ! It's almost as if the world is your home, you feel that you belong...period !

Before I went on that hike I smoked but after 2 weeks in the mountains I had become a whole new person, and I have never touched a sigaret since then !

Meditation is just a means to get in the right brain state, obviously there are other means I guess !
    I go to work by bike every day

Foojoy, have you tried listening to your CD while juggling ?

5. Maitreya

Maitreya Member

That's wonderful, and certainly should be considered a form of meditation...Since meditation, I think, is just a way to ease your mind into highly focused concentration.

I, too, have a hobby which allows me to enter a completely focused state. Making Chain Mail. It really is a wonderful hobby, and takes so much concentration and repetition that you become lost in the countless metal rings...:)

Knitting is also a great hobby for repetition...I've actually noticed that just repeatedly Casting On--until the needle is full, then pulling it off and repeating--is extremely mezmerizing. You can nearly do it WHILE meditating, let alone AS meditation :p

Keep juggling, and I'll keep making Chain Mail.

6. wendy

wendy Member

Yoga is is form of meditation because one empties their mind of all else, except for their breathing and the flow and execution of the movements. I have also heard of "walking meditation". With this form of meditation, one is to concentrate on their breath and synchronizing it to their steps. I've never done this as I have a dog and I have to keep focused on what she's doing - and no, I couldn't possibly go out walking without her!

I also attended a meditation group once that advocated the use of chants and a string of beads. As you pass each bead through your fingers, you roll it between your fingers and you say a mantra. It's not my thing, but it works for some

I try all different kinds of meditation. Most times though, I prefer the original meditation that Michael sent me many months ago. I find refuge in 20 minutes of absolute silence and I've been able to "go under" with ease. It didn't start out that way because I was always looking for something in my meditation. It was Michael's advice to just let it happen as it does that allowed me to go further into clearing my mind. Perhaps, if you're concentrating on juggling, or yoga, or walking, or caressing beads, you're not concentrating on "results" and it clears the way for meditation to work freely. Wendy

7. Foojoy

Foojoy Member

Maitreya,

You really make chain mail? That is just amazing! How long did it take you to learn? I read somewhere that the fingers and hands have tremendous amounts of brain area set aside for their function. Perhaps the slow methodical movement of these makes the brain "happy" somehow? Again, thank you for the show of support and for sharing your experiance, I appreciate it.

-Foojoy

8. Foojoy

Foojoy Member

Edwin,

Thank you for your reply. I guess anything can be meditative if you let. Maybe it's not the DOING of the activity but STATE OF MIND while doing it that's important? You have really given me some things to ponder. All the best, and love it up.

-Foojoy

9. Foojoy

Foojoy Member

Wendy,

What Michael and yourself describe with the "just let it happen" methode is exactly how I feel when I meditate and when I juggle. It's almost like having a goal sets you up to fail somehow? As soon as I stopped "trying" I felt as if I fell into "the gap" as they say. The same thing with juggling. As soon as I stopped trying so hard and just took each experiance for what it was, I began to succeed. Pretty cool. Thanks wendy. All the best and Love it up.

-Foojoy

10. Maitreya

Maitreya Member

Foojoy,

Yes, I do really make chain mail :) It did not take very long to learn at all. In fact, I picked it up in about three minutes. I have always been adept and crafts and intricacies, so different persons may have different timescales, but I'm sure it won't take more than a few minutes after you figure out the basic pattern.

I actually learned the most from a tutorial video on YouTube (not to advertise or anything :p), in case you're interested.

But yes, a lot of the brain's cognative abilities go to the hands--but much more to the eyes, of course. And since both the eyes and hands must be very steady and extremely concentrated during the assembly of chain mail, the mind can enter a state where it blocks out all other things.

It can be stressful on the back, however, if you do not keep a good posture, but I've learned to. :)

11. Edwin

Edwin Member

I think you are right, the state of mind is important, but there may be another factor :

Repeated motion has been known to enduce release of endorfines.
    Endorfines are hormones, natural "happy drugs".
    It could be that it is easyer to slip into a meditative state with this.

On a side note, it's a great painkiller too, without any unpleasant side effects ! Athletes even describe it as "second breath", when the pain in their bodies from giving it all they have got suddenly disappears, and they have feelings ranging from clear-minded to a sudden super concentrated state, their bodies feeling revived as if they only just started.

Maybe you have noticed that disabled children/people can sometimes rock back and forth with their body for hours, some even humming while they do it.
    They found out that this movement feels good, and that they feel good themselves too !

Usually we wouldn't do this, because heaven forbid we ever looked silly ;)

But I guess juggling doesn't look that silly :cool: it's kinda cool actually.