1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

It seemed like I made an incredible life changes, and then...

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by m2244, Aug 24, 2014.

1. m2244

m2244 Member

Hello Everyone,

So, about 2 or 3 months ago I started to make a change in my life by listing all of the things I am grateful for and this really seemed to make me a more positive person. Then I began a new business which involved a fee for training, etc. I'm not sure if it's the stress of trying to start a business but I feel like I've lost some of the positive thoughts I was having before I started the business.

I know that humans have thought habits and what I've heard called a "happiness index". I was sure that I was in the process of changing my thought patterns in a more positive and grateful way as well as raising my happiness index simply by appreciating every day things in my life. But lately I've been wondering if I have reverted to my old thought patterns to a certain extent or if it's just the added stress.

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

2. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi m2244,

starting up a new business can be very stressful (even if it's exciting) because it involves change and a lot of effort. My husband and I are currently in the process of putting our much loved "forever" home up for sale at a price it will sell in a market where it's value is 40% less than we paid for it.

When I recently experienced 3 really down days (which is so unusual for "Miss positive and happy" as I am often called) I realised that I was resisting the decision to let go of the home we have become very attached to.

Knowing that resistance causes pain, I picked up my copy of "Feel the fear and do it anyway" and put everything into perspective. I know there will always be challenges and my family are experiencing a few right now, still I know we will handle them one day at a time because "one day at a time" is all that we have. If I think too far ahead, the burden would be too great. Just for today, I will appreciate all the wonder of life, do what is necessary for today and trust that everything will work out even better :)

I picked up a little book I have last night and thought it may be of help to you. Here is a quote and a little piece from it...

“Life is no straight and easy corridor along which we travel free and unhampered, but a maze of passages, through which we must seek our way, lost and confused, now and again checked in a blind alley. But always, if we have faith, a door will open for us, not perhaps one that we ourselves would ever have thought of, but one that will ultimately prove good for us” A.J. Cronin
    ----------
    One sunny Sunday in Chicago, several former classmates, who were good
    friends in school, gathered for lunch, having attended their high school
    reunion the night before. They wanted to hear more about what was
    happening in each other's lives. After a good deal of kidding, and a good
    meal, they settled into an interesting conversation.

Angela, who had been one of the most popular people in the class, said, "Life
    sure turned out differently than I thought it would when we were in school. A
    lot has changed."

"It certainly has," Nathan echoed. They knew he had gone into his family's
    business, which had operated pretty much the same and had been a part of
    the local community for as long as they could remember. So, they were
    surprised when he seemed concerned. He asked, "But, have you noticed
    how we don't want to change when things change?"

Carlos said, "I guess we resist changing, because we're afraid of change."

"Carlos, you were Captain of the football team" Jessica said. "I never thought
    I'd hear you say anything about being afraid!"

They all laughed as they realized that although they had gone off in different
    directions — from working at home to managing companies — they were
    experiencing similar feelings. Everyone was trying to cope with the unexpected changes that were happening to them in recent years. And most admitted that they did not know a good way to handle them.

Then Michael said, "I used to be afraid of change. When a big change came
    along in our business, we didn't know what to do. So we didn't adjust and we
    almost lost it. "That is," he continued, "until I heard a funny little story that changed everything."

"How so?" Nathan asked.

"Well, the story changed the way I looked at change — from losing something
    to gaining some-thing — and it showed me how to do it. After that, things
    quickly improved — at work and in my life.

"Later, I passed the story on to some people in our company and they passed it on to others, and soon our business did much better, because most of us adapted to change better. And like me, many people said it helped them in their personal lives.
    "What's the story?" Angela asked.

"It's called. Who Moved My Cheese?"

The group laughed. "I think I like it already," Carlos said. "Would you tell us
    the story? Maybe we can get something from it."

"Sure," Michael replied. "I'd be happy to”

Who moved my cheese is a great little book in my opinion and it takes only about an hour to read. Hope this helps and wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)

3. m2244

m2244 Member

Pollyanna,

Thanks so much for this. I printed it out and read it at lunch today. Change often is difficult, and not always easily recognizable as far as cause and effect.

I will have to order the book you recommended.

Have a great week.

4. GilesC

GilesC Member

It's definitely a good little book. Can be read easily in an hour or two, but is clear in it's message.

:)

5. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

My pleasure - hope you enjoy it and wish you much peace and joy :) :) :)