1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by Nimai, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Nimai

Nimai Member

Ok, so I know that one should not try and condition ourselves to phenomena that may happen while meditating but I'm new to meditating and have a question. :eek: I've only tried meditation with the aid of entrainment techniques for two days (today and yesterday). Ok, so yesterday was my first time meditating using (With what I thought was LifeFlow, but was actually Holosync level 1 (I'm using my parent's discs) ) and I noticed that around 3/4 of the way through my body began feeling like it was "vibrating" as if my whole body had fallen asleep. (Kind've like when your foot falls asleep but EVERYWHERE) Anyways, it was pretty cool but I thought it might of just been a fluke. Anyways, today after using LifeFlow for the first time my body entered this mode VERY quickly. I imagine in maybe around 5-10 minutes. Also, it never went away and got very intense. Now, my parents ended up needing me so I had to stop the meditation around 20:00 and when I did my body felt like I had just woken up from hibernation. It's not like my body was stiff or sore, just nothing would move the right way my brain was telling it too for some reason. (This slowly wore off over a minute).

OK. So, point is... Is it normal to feel that way? Is it bad? Is it good? Well thanks for reading and thanks in advance for the help. :)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  2. Redmar112

Redmar112 Member

I have the same sensations! But I knew my bloodpressure was high, so I think it has something to do with that. The best way to describe this: the hart is slowed down because of meditation, but the blood is still moving very fast. 3 months ago it wasn't this extreme so I think it's temporarily, but still there's always a little sleeping body sensation. During my meditation I always feel my left foot is blocked.

welcome btw! I see you're also a newbie:)

3. Edwin

Edwin Member

Hi guys, and welcome to the forum !

Most sensations can be ignored during meditation. They are harmless.
    Even the unpleasant ones.

The only thing I feel I should tell you is that I have heard from several Holosync users that their product can be somewhat of a rougher experience.
    It is very likely to run into a phenomenan called "overwhelm", where too many or too strong of emotions can surface all at once, causing both physical as well as emotional uncomfort that can last even when the meditation session has ended.

Should this occur it does tell you that the Holosync product is probably working, but I would advice you to tone down your meditation sessions a bit both in length and repetition.

Hope it helps :)

4. Nimai

Nimai Member

To Redmar: Thanks for the welcome to the community. :) And that's nice that the sensation seems normal though. x) I don't have high blood pressure though so I don't know if it would be that for me.

To Edwin: Thanks for the welcome! :) Also, sorry I had a typo in my post. >< It was meant to say that the first night I used holosync but I decided to try LifeFlow instead and I find it much better. :p I noticed that I got into this state a lot faster and my mind was able to slow down much faster with LifeFlow (My ego never shuts up :p). Also, it wasn't even a long session with LifeFlow as I cut it short at 20 minutes. Another thing to note as well about this weird sensation does not go away no matter how much I surrender to it. It's not even like the sensation bugs me I just try to observe and surrender. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong since I've never really meditated before LifeSync and HoloSync. (So two days ago -Newb- :) Haha)

Update: Ok, so I just finished my third meditation today just now.... I'm still getting these intense body vibrations from life flow though. It was strange though, the deeper I went into meditation the more intense the vibrations grew (and yes I was/was trying my best to surrender to the feeling). Eventually though like last night it got to the point where I wondered if I should stop (As once I get out of the meditation and I have this feeling it takes around a minute to get full control again... It feels pretty much like when your foot falls asleep, but instead it is my whole body).
    Do you guys think I should stop when I begin to question if I should?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  5. Edwin

Edwin Member

I am not entirely sure.

Even tho I have seen other people report about these vibrations, I haven't experienced them myself. Also it is very hard to see how "severe" the vibrations are, as I just have these forumposts to go on.

How about trying a meditation session without LifeFlow, to see if it is indeed LifeFlow doing it. It could just as well be a posture that doesn't work for you, to name just one.
    Could you describe what meditation method and posture you prefer for your current meditation sessions ?

6. Nimai

Nimai Member

I have meditated without LifeFlow (Though, for not as long) and I never received these full body vibrations. I believe that may be because I find it hard to meditate without LifeFlow as my ego has a very had time quieting down. I have experienced these vibrations sitting both cross legged as well as in the lotus position (This is the reason why I got interested in meditation actually, because I'm naturally very flexible). I use the maha mantra while meditating as well. Again, I'll state that the feeling is not unpleasant by any means it just is very powerful. For example, when I get out of the meditation I don't have normal control over body for a minute or so. It's like being paralyzed for the first 2-3 seconds when I come out of the meditation then I slowly regain full control after around 30 seconds-a minute.

Edit: Could this be because I don't slowly come out of the meditation and instead come out fairly quickly? If so could someone please tell me how to prepare myself to come out of the meditation?

UPDATE: Well, my full body vibrations seemed to have been subdued quite a bit during this meditation! :) I still felt it in my hands, legs, and a few other random places at times but not nearly as strong. Now, there could be a few things that have made the change... 1) This meditation I used the maha mantra as my chant again but "focused" on the words "I surrender". 2) I sat cross legged today instead of in Lotus Position to see if that could be it (I'm going to try Lotus Position again next time to see if it comes back). 3) I listened to the LifeFlow track the whole way through and very slowly came out of the meditation at the end. I even meditated for a minute or so longer after LifeFlow ended.

Anyways, thanks for your guys help to try and figure this out with me! This is a great community here that I am very happy to be a part of. :)

~Peace, Love, Happiness. Nimai :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  7. Edwin

Edwin Member

Keep us posted, I am interested to see the results after having used the "lotus" position.

This is somewhat of a misconception in meditation practices.

Quieting down of the "ego" or thoughts in general is supposed to be a result of meditation, not the goal. Even when you have a meditation session where your mind was very busy all the time, but all you did was observe the thoughts, is a successful meditation.
    If the thoughts bother you, the meditation is less of a success.
    If you strain to numb the mind, your meditation is just plain wrong :D;)

Just let it flow, mildly concentrate on your mantra, just enough to keep your mind from wandering off, and observe whatever thought comes up indifferently.

You'll be fine :)

8. Nimai

Nimai Member

Great advice. :) Thank you Edwin for you help. Sorry it took a bit for my response. I've been very busy this past week with school and family Easter stuff. I've only just had time to get back to meditation tonight. Though, tonight I did some japa meditation (chanting the maha mantra and japa beads). So, this brings me to another question... How would LifeFlow work with chanting on those beads? I often chant on the beads for meditation instead of "meditating" (Sitting cross legged, eyes closed) when I find my mind is to restless and I have a hard time sitting still for the meditation. For instance I couldn't stop yawning and moving today while listening to the first bit of LifeFlow, so I decided to do some Japa meditation instead.

Here's a small webpage on japa meditation if you're interested in looking into it or haven't heard of it: Mantra Meditation, How to chant Hare Krishna Mahamantra

~Peace, Love, Happiness. Nimai :)

9. cate123

cate123 Member

crazy dreams and things

Hello, I am also very new to this forum and have only been using lifeflow for about a week. A lot of times I fall asleep while listening. I have started having crazy dreams about people from my past, whom I didnt like very much and whom didnt seem to like me either. Is this normal for all of these subconcious feelings to be haunting me in my sleep? Also last night after meditating I was having a crazy sexual dream and had an orgasm in my sleep. This is very strange for me. Is this normal?

10. decas

decas Member

I'm a bit not on topic but I don't want to start a new thread, so I will write here (I hope it's okay because my question is very short).

Is it okay to use LifeFlow track 10 only for 30mins a day? At the start I used to listen 60mins but soon I'm getting kinda bored, so I thought that I need to build up my meditation experience gradually, so that it would be such experience which I want to feel, not just boredom and waiting for the end of track.

11. Edwin

Edwin Member

Perfect ! That would have been my advice !

12. Hazelkay

Hazelkay Member

for cate and decas

Hi Cate - welcome

It is very normal for dreams to become more prominent and vivid than usual when we start to meditate. The unconscious has been tapped a little and all sorts of things will surface. It is best not to try to suppress anything and not to try to find meaning in the images. Let them up and away like balloons released into the sky.

Hi decas - welcome too

Even 30 minutes may be too long if you are just starting out, especially if you are waiting for it to finish. - try 20 to start with.

It seems you may be looking for ' such experience as I want to feel'.

This is totally self-defeating. Even if you get an experience which fits your thoughts on how it could be, your mind will then spend all its time trying to get it back again and this is not meditation.

Whatever experience you have in meditation is what is happening right then. It is neither good nor bad - it just is - even boredom.
    The benefits of meditation come in our lives when we just accept in our meditation sessions what is happening in the moment without judgement. Our role is just observation. Thoughts, emotions, physical feelings come and go, arise, intensify, diminish, reappear - we just watch the show.

Try to put aside all expectations of what it should be like and just have it as it is. Every meditation session is different, and as we become less judgemental about what is going on there are more and more subtle things to notice.

Have a great adventure - its a fascinating journey.
    peace and joy to you both:)

13. Edwin

Edwin Member

This is an age-old problem. This is the reason why the "Lotus position" was invented, so you could meditate while in an active posture, not too comfortable, but comfortable enough to be able to meditate. Try to find a posture that is a little less comfortable.
    Normally after some time these side-effects should go away, if they don't, try to cut down on your meditation time. The chances of having too many emotions/memories coming up at once will be reduced when you reduce your meditations.
    You are probably female ? As you might know, males have this problem more often. However, orgasms in sleep may be less frequent with women, they do occur. There is nothing strange about it, it is a natural bodily function.

But, since it rattled you a bit, I presume that the "crazy sexual dream" left you a bit confused. Sexual dreams can sometimes cover topics that you literally "wouldn't dream about" in day time.
    When your body reacts to the sexual topic of the dream, and you orgasm, you might start to think "Oh my God I can't believe that this topic would excite me".
    But the orgasm is just a natural reaction to a certain level of excitedness. You don't control your dreams, so there is nothing to worry about or feel guilty of. It won't make you a lesser person.
    Think of it as an interesting experience, and maybe even a bit "cool" that you found a new trick your body can do ;)

14. decas

decas Member

Thanks for helpful replies. One more question. Do I need to control my thoughts during meditation session or just let it flow? At the start I was receiving many different thoughts but after 7 sessions I am starting to manage my thoughts, I mean I can just look at the gloom, see nothing and have no thoughts on my mind. Sometimes it looks that my sight is going somewhere in that gloom but I am still trying to concentrate and be calm. Is that okay?

I feel that meditation helps me somehow. Once I felt slight ache in the throat (probably it is thyroid), in my brain hemispheres (left and right), broken part of the wrist (which was broken in the past) and more. It is strange but it is also pleasant to feel such effects.

15. GilesC

GilesC Member

You observe the thoughts arising, but that true You who is observing, simply does that... just observes. It cannot "control" the thoughts, because it is the thoughts that attempt to control us, by distracting our observation from what is presently in front of us to the thoughts themselves; hence why we go off on daydreams or find ourselves at our destination (typically when driving) without recalling any of the travelling that took place.
    So, forget the idea of controlling the thoughts, it can't be done.
    Instead, recognise that thoughts will arise, recognise that they are just thoughts and simply observe them at that time and let them pass. Once a thought captures your awareness it drags you aware from the meditation practice. It happens, it's normal, but with practice we learn to become aware of it happening and use that as a trigger to bring our awareness back to the mantra/meditation practice.

Concentration, or just the idea of it, are thoughts in themselves. Observe and let go.

Sensations, physical, mental or emotional, are normal. Like the thoughts, recognise that they will occur, observe them and bring yourself back to the meditation practice.

Hugs

Giles

16. decas

decas Member

Is it better to meditate in the evening or morning? I found that in the evening I am more relaxed than morning because in the morning there are many jobs to do and I am usually thinking about them during meditation session. What do you think?

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  17. pollyanna

pollyanna Moderator

Hi Nimai, Redmar and Decas :) Welcome to the community. Here's a link to a thread which explains meditation, entrainment, sensations etc.

http://www.project-meditation.org/c...x/2357-principles-meditation-entrainment.html

It is quite long but explains everything extremely well. I'm sure it will help you all as it has many others. Look forward to hearing how you all progress and wish you an abundance of peace and joy :) :) :)