1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Is this common

Discussion in 'Meditation Chatter Box' started by ian0204, Jan 15, 2009.

1. ian0204

ian0204 Member

Hi everyone.I just started listening to the lifeflow 7 cd and I am having a few problems. I find it harder to stay focused on my meditation and also find i am nodding of to sleep .This has not happened during the previous cds.Please advise me if anyone else has experienced this problem...peace and love

2. Edwin

Edwin Member

It could be that you are not "done" with LF8 yet. Have you tried going back to LF8 to see if you have the same problem ?

3. ian0204

ian0204 Member

thanks edwin i will give that a try for a bit.How do you know when it is time to move on.I look forward to your advice...peace and love...ian

4. Edwin

Edwin Member

The best answer would be that you will know when it is time. Some people have kept the same LF for 3 or 4 months before moving on, others wanted to switch after just a month. When LF8 becomes "normal" or "boring" and doesn't feel special anymore, you will appreciate LF7 more.

Or you could try to do LF8 one day and LF 7 the next, and then back to LF8 the next day, until you are comfortable with 7. You are free to experiment a little, LF may be powerfull, but it is after all just an aid in meditation, and meditation is the most important.

5. shesgg

shesgg Member

I have been getting "bored" with each one before the month is over. I am on Level 2 and I am wondering what I will do after that happens with Level 1?

I think I wish there were levels that are more powerful but less time involved like say 20 minutes or so. If I don't do the level before I go to work, I keep it running in the background at work but I don't feel like I should be doing that. I need to take the breaths, consistently but I don't always have the time.

6. Ta-tsu-wa

Ta-tsu-wa Member

Is "bored" really the word you meant to use?

I may have mistook your meaning but "bored" seems more like you're just tired of hearing the repetitive sounds of the track. All entrainment tracks I've listened to are simple with a lot of repetition. I guess this is intentional since the tracks are meant to help relax and focus our awareness and not to entertain us.

The words "familiar" or "natural" are more in line with what Pollyanna has said about knowing when it's time to move to the next level. If I remember correctly she wasn't referring to the sounds of the track feeling natural, she was talking about the meditative state associated with the track becoming familiar and natural. That's when I think she was advising us it might be appropriate to start the next Lifeflow level to help us move into different states of meditation.

I apologize if I misunderstood your meaning but the word "bored" conjures up images of someone getting "bored" with the repetitive nature of the track sounds. Because they are repetitive that could happen easily but I'm not sure that sort of boredom serves well as a barometer for suggesting when we should move to a new track. What does boredom of that kind really tell me about whether or not I have progressed in my meditation practice?

I'm like Edwin in that I switch back and forth between the current LF level and earlier ones despite having listened to each a couple of hundred times. The unique feelings of peace and centered awareness each state of meditation brings, whether I've experienced it only once or a hundred times before, never gets boring. In that sense the ten levels of Lifeflow will never be outdated to me.

7. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

Boredom is actually a roadblock that our ego puts up because it wants to stay dominant. So this could be a good sign, especially if you don't give into it. ;)

I think you already know that there's only one way to get results and that's to put in time, actually meditating. Re: listening to LF while working, it might be better if you limited that to alpha tracks and kept the deeper tracks for actual meditation. I think most of us are like Pavlov's dogs - we get conditioned easily. Also, listening to delta when you need to be actively problem solving, thinking or interacting with others seems counter-productive. Surely one would cancel the other out? But alpha does wonders for learning and creativity too I imagine... The Superlearning people have used them for years with people who need to learn a new language quickly. You could also use optimal learning and creativity CD's at work as well. :)

Bhavya

8. shesgg

shesgg Member

It's ok, I don't mind direct discussion. I would love to get into the zone, so to speak, and stay there for 40 minutes. I know I feel best when that happens but about half the month into a level, I start my meditations only to begin thinking about all the other stuff I need to be doing at that time.

I meant bored as in bored sitting there.

9. shesgg

shesgg Member

I also believe it is the ego putting up roadblocks. I already do so many rituals in the morning that I find myself trying to get out of doing one or more of them before work even though I believe in everything I am doing for my physical and mental health..

I get up at 5 or earlier just to get everything in. (I leave for work at 8)

I know this is so good for me, I have struggled with it for months now. I force myself to do it for several weeks and then miss "just one or two" and I suddenly find myself missing 3, 4, or 5.

10. Ta-tsu-wa

Ta-tsu-wa Member

Maybe a different meditation technique

I wonder if maybe choosing a different technique for meditation would lead to longer, less bored periods of meditation? There is a simple technique that produces a flood of alpha brainwaves almost immediately as soon as you begin that you could try. I don't know what or even if it has a formal name but we could agree to call it "Space Perception", or just SP for short. Here is how I was introduced to it.

Get comfortable, take a relaxed breath or two without straining to try to fill the lungs or breathe in any particular rhythms.

Now try to imagine the space that exists between your two eyes. Don't imagine the objects in that space, just imagine the open space itself. Focus your awareness on that space and let it remain there.

Or you could use the space between your ears instead. Obviously there is the slight matter of the tissues and structures that occupy that space but again, focus on the open space in which those structures exist and not on the structures themselves. Then keep your attention on that space "loosely", not in a rigid way for as long as you can.

There's no right or wrong way to feel about this meditation. You're consciously focusing on the feeling of emptiness, openness, space. I suspect it will be a very subjective sensation, different from person to person. For you it is whatever it is.

As I was taught to do this I was encouraged to periodically shift the area of space I was focusing on starting with using small spaces in and around my body. Between the eyes, between the ears, the space of the small part between my lips and so on. Any area of space is fair game to focus on.

After that try focusing on larger areas of space outside your body, like the space around you in the room you're in. Actually, I learned about this technique after I stumbled on it accidentally on my own. I used to sit outside on the porch swing and look out at the mountains off in the hazy distance. At times it would seem to me like the distance between myself and the mountains was maybe an illusion of sorts and that my awareness could be there on those mountains even as it was here with my body all at the same time. I was just playing this little mind game but found sometimes the game seemed more "real" to me and less imaginary, like my senses were really feeling what it would be like to be consciously aware in both places at once.

It was just a mental game, nothing more. But then one time as I was playing this game I wondered to myself, if my awareness really could be in two places at once, what was happening in all the space that lay between those two places? And I wondered if I placed my attention in that big space, how it would feel? The moment I really placed attention on or rather "into" that open space I felt amazingly peaceful and so I kept at it.

Years later I learned this SP sort of technique was not something I had invented but was a well established meditation technique, and I learned how to practice it in other ways like using the spaces in and around my body.

But give it a try or maybe try a few other techniques until you find one that really speaks to you. I think Bhavya hit the nail on the head about boredom. A different Lifeflow track doesn't seem likely to solve the problem. It's just a way to temporarily ignore what causes the boredom...until the new track leads to boredom as well. And as you pointed out, when you get done with LF#1 then what? Ignoring the boredom issue will only work for as long as you have a new distraction on the horizon to switch to. Eventually you run out of new distractions. Better to dissolve the root of the problem.

11. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

What do you want?

I hear what you're saying. I also do other practices that would eat up the entire morning if I did them all. Presently I'm asking myself which ones are helping me the most - which are getting me to where I want to be?

I think it's helpful to rethink our intentions for doing practices. What specifically do we want from them? By checking in as you do them - how am I feeling, is my heart opening through this, am I feeling connected to the Infinite, or whatever it is that you're looking for...you can have a clearer idea of what's working for you. Noticing positive changes is really motivating and boredom goes out the window. I've done spiritual practices for 28 years and I'm sorry to say that some of those years were spent on automatic pilot. I was plugged in to a "form" without really examining what was changing for me, doing it. Getting high is one thing, :p but it's not everything! ;)

Of course we also have to stick with a practice to get good at it. There's always a learning curve but intuitively we know what's helpful, and you sound like an intuitive person.

12. Bhavya

Bhavya Member

Ta-tsu-wa, the SP technique you just described sounds like it'll dovetail perfectly with the method I'm already using. I'm going to give it a try. Thanks! :):)

Bhavya

13. shesgg

shesgg Member

Thanks, I will try that in the morning. :)

14. shesgg

shesgg Member

I know that my intentions for doing the practices are to keep myself healthier and to keep the stress to a minimum, that's why I really need to continue the meditation everyday.

Thanks so much for your input, I'll try some different meditational techniques.

15. Grey

Grey Member

maybe you could try something that focuses awareness and has physical components as well like flow yoga or tai chi exercises. the physicality might hold off boredom longer than a pure passive meditation technique.

16. shesgg

shesgg Member

I always wanted to try tai chi... Maybe I'll get a beginner's course somewhere.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  17. purplevibe

purplevibe Member

Body and Mind

Yes, that is a great idea! :D

Shesgg,
    Personally, I do find yoga works, I do not have enough experience of tai-chi, but I know that it also focuses on the breath whilst doing physical actions. This works physically and mentally because you free up the stress in the body whilst concentrating on the breath, the breath helps to free up the stress as well as putting you into a meditative state of mind, so it covers everything, so to speak, as you are relaxed in body and mind instantly. It is an 'active meditation'. I have found this particularly with 'Vinyasa' (flow yoga) and 'Kundalini Yoga'. You may want to give it a try, it really works for me, particularly at the beginning of the day, when both my body and mind are crying out for some centredness in which to occupy throughout the day! This practice stays with me throughout the day, and if I don't do it, I really miss it, I feel more scattered.

We need to find our own ways in which to find our spiritual self, we are all different, in body and mind, some of us are more active and need to work through that in order to be still.

Also, trying something different may enliven one spiritually. Kundalini yoga is a very gentle form of yoga and involves a lot of breath work, and mantras and meditation throughout, it puts me into such a meditative state that by the end, when you lie down and relax, I can't move, and all I want to do is meditate - I am so blissed out!

It may be worth a try for you too! :)

PS Doing some work like this at the beginning of the day means that one can 'settle' into a less physical, more mental meditation at the end of the day with ease.

PPS Different things work at different times; as long as you are 'awake' you will get there, you may perhaps find that reading some books about the Law of Attraction, Tolle, and others that are recommended on this site may help too, reading good spiritual literature feeds the soul, making one think about how one is leading one's life, thinking and doing, and affecting others, what we are giving out to the universe, all this helps in clearing the mind to meditate . Gradually the brain assimilates ALL this knowledge: it will come :)

Breathe in love, breathe out peace :):):):)