1. Unfortunately The Project Meditation Community Forum is no longer active. Although registration and the creation of new posts not possible, you can still read and search the forum...

If you are unable to find what you are looking for within the Project Meditation Community please check out our new Blog and/or our Facebook page.

Is there a way to sense things around you without judging/thinking about them?

Discussion in 'Mind, Body & Spirit' started by fusilli_jerry89, Oct 1, 2012.

1. fusilli_jerry89

fusilli_jerry89 New Member

I have recently had a problem with my brain where I will anticipate things too quickly. For example, I may hear a sound and I will hear the echo and think the sound is coming from behind me when it is really coming from in front of me. If I think it's coming from behind it will sound like it is, and if I realize it's in front of me then it will sound like it's coming from in front.

Another example is I will be reading and I will see a few letters at the beginning of a word and I will think it says something before I even read the full word. i.e. I was reading the word "prehuman" and I saw only the first few letters and I already thought it said "prehistoric" until I read the full word.

Other examples are similar when I am listening to people speaking and hear a word differently than what is actually said. It's as if my mind is making a guess too quickly before it has enough information.

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with a meditation technique where you train your mind to not make a judgement or a guess, or to anticipate, but to just hear/see the world around you as it is. At the extreme, is it possible with meditation to be able to look at a word, say "computer" and not see it as saying "computer", but instead just see the letters for what they are, black lines on paper? This might not be possible or might take years of training, but I would like to train myself to be able to sense things without anticipating/labelling/or recalling memories associated with each stimulus around me.

Is this possible? Any ideas?